So, I'm looking to buy a a guitar for metal and such and I really can't find a neck I like. Most Ibanez's necks are far to thin for me to play on. I tried a bunch of Schecters, B.C. Richs, Jacksons, etc. and it seems to come standard that every neck is really beefy and has super-jumbo frets.

I really like the neck on most Les Pauls is there any specific model that has a neck more like that?
check out esp ltd ec1000
has lp body and nice thin neck
I'd **** her so hard, even if she was a decomposing corpse... and I'd just dug her up... damn that'd be hot.
yeah the zakk wylde les pauls or have you tried dean rarzorbacks and the bc rich stealth just try keep rocking
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
I like my g400 SG

not really metal but i can sweep alot cleaner than on my jackson dk2m
The best guitar ever, the Music Man JP6 (John Petrucci signature) cames with a thin, but not Wizard thin, neck with medium frets (like LP sized ones). You not only get the greatest guitar but you geat a f$*&ing nice neck, piezo pickup option, custom cut out body, THE WORKS!!! (Yes, I own one...)
I'll try out the ESP I'm really interested in them anyways, my favorite local store doesn't carry them though. Same with Deans.

And I won't touch anything with the name Zakk Wylde on it on principle alone.

EDIT: The JP6 is far out of my price range.
Last edited by Gigatiran at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by Gigatiran

And I won't touch anything with the name Zakk Wylde on it on principle alone.

I like you.

If you like the LP shapes, wait for epiphone to come out with the prophecy range. Lp's with EMGs, they look pretty alright
Quote by Scream And Fly
Yet you'll try a POS like an ESP. Oh the logic....

What's wrong with ESPs? I haven't tried any, they just looked cool to me.
If it means that much to you man I'll try it, but personally I don't really like the looks of Zakk's models.
G-400... the best fret access you'll ever get. I can get my fingers halfway past my pickup. The neck is not too think and not to thin. Get the Faded G-400 so theres no gloss on the neck, makes it much easier to play
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
The guy who talked sh*te on ESP guitars in on crack. LTDs can be pretty iffy but ESP makes some bad ass mofo-in' axes. Some ESP signature guitars come in both ESP and LTD flavour with the ESP editions being FAR higher in price so you have to look around but all in all ESP = good sh*te.
Quote by Gigatiran
What's wrong with ESPs? I haven't tried any, they just looked cool to me.
If it means that much to you man I'll try it, but personally I don't really like the looks of Zakk's models.

ESP seems to be a favorite around here. It's the "cool" guitar. I think it's mainly their sponsored players or good advertising - who knows. All the ESPs I tried were crap - poor fretwork, inconsistent quality, etc.
^Are you talking about ESP guitars or ESP LTD guitars. I guarantee a $2500 ESP does not have poor fretwork etc.
Ok I think I have an idea of what to look for. It's gonna be a trip to Guitar Center and then probably a buy off the internetz, I'll let you guys know how things work out. I'm going to sleep now.
^I find it funny that you could say an entire company's guitars could just be POS. Kinda' like the blanket hate for B.C. Rich, who make some of the best custom shop guitars.
Quote by Scream And Fly
Yet you'll try a POS like an ESP. Oh the logic....
I suggest you have a look HERE at the list of artists who use ESP, and then at the amount of fairly legendary guitarists HERE who have their own signature models at the moment (and actually that's not even all of them, that's just the artists' who's signature guitars are sold in America - there are even more who's guitars aren't sold in America too). When the likes of Richie Sambora, Ron Wood, Hammett, Hetfield, Hanneman, George Lynch, and outside of the USA, Erno Vuorinen, are all using them, you know there's quality to be found there.

ESP are used by a ****load of professionals, for damn good reason. They're just about the most solidly built, reliable guitars you can buy. There are so many countless stories of guitarists breaking another guitar or losing a piece of equipment, and just running along to the nearest store and picking up the first ESP they see on the shelves and using that stock for a gig or even recording an album - because you can just rely on ESP that much.

In my experience, the only people who hate on ESP, are those who can't afford the ESP models and who have only played the very, very low end X-50/53 LTD models, if even that. Or they're Ibanez fanboys, who seem to loathe ESP despite the fact that most ESP artists use Ibanez as well...

Me, I am and probably forever will be mostly a Gibson and Epiphone fan. But ESP (along with Kramer) aren't that far behind, in my opinion. Especially when it comes to metal, I've tired out Kramers, ESPs, ESP-LTDs, Ibanez, BC Rich's and Jacksons, and the ESPs (or ESP-LTD, depending on the price range I've been looking at) have won out every single time.

... So to that end, yes, try out ESP.

Failing that, look into something like a Gibson SG with a 'thin' 60's neck (it's not actually thin like an Ibanez neck is though - just 'thin' by Gibson's standards), which will have regular medium frets. Bear in mind though that these guitars will be 24.75" scale (you'll be getting a tiny bit less space between each of the higher frets), and that these guitars rarely go past 22 frets (I personally don't see any reason to go past 22, but I know if you cover a lot of metal bands, you may well need 24 frets to cover them accurately). You'd also need to change the stock pickups to be more suitable for metal. You could also try a Les Paul with a 60's neck, but most people find them a bit too heavily-toned for metal, plus of course many people find the upper fret access to be horrible.

For my money, a lightly modded Gibson SG or [insert any ESP model here] are the only ways to really go for metal if you don't want the typical ultra-thin neck and jumbo frets.
Last edited by bokuho at Mar 23, 2008,
Oh Good Lord. I never knew the quality of an instrument is a direct consequence of who is being paid by the company to play them. Wow, endorsements really do work, don't they?

Quote by bokuho
I suggest you have a look HERE at the list of artists who use ESP, and then at the amount of fairly legendary guitarists HERE who have their own signature models at the moment (and actually that's not even all of them, that's just the artists' who's signature guitars are sold in America - there are even more who's guitars aren't sold in America too). When the likes of Richie Sambora, Ron Wood, Hammett, Hetfield, Hanneman, George Lynch, and outside of the USA, Erno Vuorinen, are all using them, you know there's quality to be found there.

ESP are used by a ****load of professionals, for damn good reason. They're just about the most solidly built, reliable guitars you can buy. There are so many countless stories of guitarists breaking another guitar or losing a piece of equipment, and just running along to the nearest store and picking up the first ESP they see on the shelves and using that stock for a gig or even recording an album - because you can just rely on ESP that much.

In my experience, the only people who hate on ESP, are those who can't afford the ESP models and who have only played the very, very low end X-50/53 LTD models, if even that. Or they're Ibanez fanboys, who seem to loathe ESP despite the fact that most ESP artists use Ibanez as well...

Me, I am and probably forever will be mostly a Gibson and Epiphone fan. But ESP (along with Kramer) aren't that far behind, in my opinion. Especially when it comes to metal, I've tired out Kramers, ESPs, ESP-LTDs, Ibanez, BC Rich's and Jacksons, and the ESPs (or ESP-LTD, depending on the price range I've been looking at) have won out every single time.

Failing that, look into something like a Gibson SG with a 'thin' 60's neck (it's not actually thin like an Ibanez neck is though - just 'thin' by Gibson's standards), which will have regular medium frets. Bear in mind though that these guitars will be 24.75" scale (you'll be getting a tiny bit less space between each of the higher frets), and that these guitars rarely go past 22 frets (I personally don't see any reason to go past 22, but I know if you cover a lot of metal bands, you may well need 24 frets to cover them accurately). You'd also need to change the stock pickups to be more suitable for metal. You could also try a Les Paul with a 60's neck, but most people find them a bit too heavily-toned for metal, plus of course many people find the upper fret access to be horrible.

For my money, a lightly modded Gibson SG or [insert any ESP model here] are the only ways to really go for metal if you don't want the typical ultra-thin neck and jumbo frets.
Quote by Scream And Fly
Oh Good Lord. I never knew the quality of an instrument is a direct consequence of who is being paid by the company to play them. Wow, endorsements really do work, don't they?

Oh, Good Lord. I never knew the quality of an entire brand is a direct consequence of a guy who played a couple. Wow, haters really do act like jackasses, don't they?
Quote by bokuho

thats cuz ESP treats them like princesses and gives them a shiiit load of money
go for a jackson like the soloist or dk2. even the bolt-on dk2 has insane fret access that destroys any esp or ltd
Quote by Buster69
check out esp ltd ec1000
has lp body and nice thin neck

+1.8
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
Quote by Gigatiran
So, I'm looking to buy a a guitar for metal and such and I really can't find a neck I like. Most Ibanez's necks are far to thin for me to play on. I tried a bunch of Schecters, B.C. Richs, Jacksons, etc. and it seems to come standard that every neck is really beefy and has super-jumbo frets.

I really like the neck on most Les Pauls is there any specific model that has a neck more like that?

I really like Schecter necks. Try those.
^ Schecter was one of the ones listed that he didn't like the neck on...
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2