ok so right now im in a band its just me and a drummer.

i know how to play guitar,bass,keyboard, and drums, and vocals.
i am playing guitar, vocals, and keyboard.
the drummer is just playing drums.

we are influenced by:
Motley crue, panic at the disco, van halen, led zeppelin, the beatles, my chemical romance, nickelback, blink 182, +44, angels and airways, foo fighters, nirvana. much more. not in order.

questions:

i wanna know if there is any way me and him can figure a sound that we can add a bass player for shows unless we find one soon. we are going to try something like a little mainstreamish.

is it smart to play keyboard with just drums?
like play piano and drums and vocals for a song?

sorry if my questions are out of line. im pretty tired right now.

and sorry if someone had this kind of question before i just needed to know.
Question 1: Yes. It is certainly workable to have you, a bassist, and the drummer. In fact, our band is a three-piece consisting of drums, bass, and guitar/vocals. Keyboard would be a bonus. The only catch being that you have to write your music so that guitar and keyboard don't happen at the same time... unless you plan on learning to play with your toes.

You could, alternatively, have your keyboard parts pre-recorded and play them back live if your keyboard has that function. Some people think of that sort of like cheating, though.

Question 2: Keyboards -- particularly with a piano sound -- can be the ideal instrument to be the only one along with drums. You have your bass, tenor, alto, and soprano ranges all at your fingertips and all at once. Besides, if it's your style and you like the way it sounds, buggar on everyone else.

You can ask advice all day long, but my advice is to trust your ears. I can tell you that I imagine it working in theory, but listen to yourself. If you like it, chances are someone else will, too. If you don't, maybe someone will, but I wouldn't bet my lunch money on it. Besides, if you don't like what you're playing you shouldn't be playing it.
Quote by floyd matt
ok so right now im in a band its just me and a drummer.

i know how to play guitar,bass,keyboard, and drums, and vocals.
i am playing guitar, vocals, and keyboard.
the drummer is just playing drums.

we are influenced by:
Motley crue, panic at the disco, van halen, led zeppelin, the beatles, my chemical romance, nickelback, blink 182, +44, angels and airways, foo fighters, nirvana. much more. not in order.

questions:

i wanna know if there is any way me and him can figure a sound that we can add a bass player for shows unless we find one soon. we are going to try something like a little mainstreamish.

is it smart to play keyboard with just drums?
like play piano and drums and vocals for a song?

sorry if my questions are out of line. im pretty tired right now.

and sorry if someone had this kind of question before i just needed to know.

I used to know a band (or strictly speaking we should call it a duo) called 'Listen' which comprised of just a drummer and keybord player.
The keyboard player had banks and banks of keyboards and also a set of foot-operated bass pedals. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_pedals )

Their sound was huge, and they used to do a really good rendition of War of The Worlds, so yeah, it can be done, especialy if you add bass pedals to the equasion, although this guy was a seriously talented keyboard player.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by goblin_king14
The only catch being that you have to write your music so that guitar and keyboard don't happen at the same time... unless you plan on learning to play with your toes.

Ever hear of a band called Battles?

The two guitarists play guitar legato with their left hands and keyboard with their right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN29W-4w&feature=related

Floyd Matt, I'd say get a laptop and some good synth software. Then you could sample, have synth sounds, use MIDI equipment, add effects to your guitar or vocals... the possibilities are endless.

If that';s not an option check your local Goodwill frequently for keyboards. You can find quite a few. Have ten of those babies set up on stage - all different tones and everything. I'd pay to see that!
Ever heard of Death From Above 1979?

One guy did vocals/drums
Other guy was bass/synths
The softest of blankets is six feet of soil.

Upcoming Shows:
Sasquatch! Festival - May 2013