(sorry if this is the wrong forum)

My band is going to start recording soon, and i was thinking it would be nice to rent a really nice head for me and the other guitar player to use. how would i go about doing this? should i just go to a local store? or are there special companies that would be better suited for this kind of deal?

we'd use said gear for probably about a month, then return, and buying is not an option for us, we have a limited budget.
In the long run it might work out cheaper to simply book a decent studio. Most good studios will have a range of vintage amps, even a fairly cheap one I went to a few weeks ago had an early 60s AC30 and an original Plexi stack.

Equipment hire is usually for no more than a few days, any longer and it's really not worth the effort at all. If you're home recording make sure you've got quality mics too, or you're just throwing money down the pan.
What I've heard of bands doing is recording guitar tracks, getting them perfect, and then using something like the re-amp (fficial&client=firefox-a">google search here) to get it back to guitar-level signal and then play and re-record it through a nicer amp, so you only need it for a day.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Only used shops will do this. I noticed you're in Rising Sun. IF you feel like making a 30-45 drive to Millersville PA, check out a place called Manor Music Mansion (just don't go on Thursday as he is not open and he closes at 5 on Saturday). He had a nice B-52 head, Marshall 1960A 4x12, a 70's Fender Super Reverb, and he used to have a JCM900 halfstack lurking around I'm sure he'll rent you. In fact, I may head over there this week, so I can give you a list of what he has.

EDIT: FYI, his going rate is around $50 for a week and around $30 for about three days.
Quote by CJRocker
Only used shops will do this. I noticed you're in Rising Sun. IF you feel like making a 30-45 drive to Millersville PA, check out a place called Manor Music Mansion (just don't go on Thursday as he is not open and he closes at 5 on Saturday). He had a nice B-52 head, Marshall 1960A 4x12, a 70's Fender Super Reverb, and he used to have a JCM900 halfstack lurking around I'm sure he'll rent you. In fact, I may head over there this week, so I can give you a list of what he has.

EDIT: FYI, his going rate is around $50 for a week and around $30 for about three days.

thank you, i'll bring that up to my band members. do you think this guy would have the gear needed to get a good metal sound? the JCM900 sounds pretty good. but a 70's fender just doesnt sound like something we'd need.

"In the long run it might work out cheaper to simply book a decent studio. Most good studios will have a range of vintage amps, even a fairly cheap one I went to a few weeks ago had an early 60s AC30 and an original Plexi stack. "

ha, dude, im right there with you. we were actually supposed to go to a studio, but then our drummer decides he doesnt want to do that any more. he's a major control freak, and wants to be able to do everything himself. we actually already have recordings, but everyone in the band hates them so much, they wont even let me make copies to sell at shows. -_-
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7

ha, dude, im right there with you. we were actually supposed to go to a studio, but then our drummer decides he doesnt want to do that any more. he's a major control freak, and wants to be able to do everything himself. we actually already have recordings, but everyone in the band hates them so much, they wont even let me make copies to sell at shows. -_-

I'm no expert at running a band, but I think that you should address the root of the problem, rather than doing a quick fix.
RIP Terry Kath (1978)