Hey im trying to pick an amp but i dont really have access to playing a lot of them at the momeny (i live in sydney and the closest guitar shop is just a small local one) however i will make the trip out to the city eventually to see the big store. So im thinking about maybe a marshall stack or and orange stack. Im trying to keep the budget below 2,500 AUS which is around about 1,800 US if u include how much cheaper things are in the US. I like to play Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, Velvet Revolver, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Hendrix, that kind of classic rock so not Metal at all so im looking for things that can handle some distortion but also has really good cleans.

Ive been looking at the Orange Rocker 30 and a few of the marshalls like the jcms and the vintage moderns, but tell me what you think. Id prefer it to be a stack but if u can suggest a combo thats just as good/better than i'll be open to that.
Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster (Sunburst)
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
Last edited by les witty at Mar 23, 2008,
Why do you want a stack?

Oh and I would go with an AD30. A Peavey Valveking or a Classic 30 could work too.

EDIT: I MEANT A VOX AC30 CUSTOM CLASSIC NOT AN AD30VT.
Last edited by imgooley at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
Why do you want a stack?

Oh and I would go with an AD30. A Peavey Valveking or a Classic 30 could work too.

Why? With his price range he could afford way more.

The Orange completely destroys those amps.

The Orange is great for those kind of bands. You can also get heavier if need be with a boost or something.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why? With his price range he could afford way more.

The Orange completely destroys those amps.

The Orange is great for those kind of bands. You can also get heavier if need be with a boost or something.

True...

Never played an orange so I only say what I know.

My apologies.
Quote by imgooley
True...

Never played an orange so I only say what I know.

My apologies.

Don't worry about it. I just noticed he's in Sydney so those amps are in his ball park.

They inflate the prices like mad down under.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
that's why I said the AC30. That and I am a total Vox fanboy.
Quote by imgooley
that's why I said the AC30. That and I am a total Vox fanboy.

You wrote AD30 in your post though.

Why do you want a stack?

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You wrote AD30 in your post though.

Dear God, I did. I should immediately kill myself for that one.
Quote by imgooley
Dear God, I did. I should immediately kill myself for that one.

well the AD30VT isn't a bad amp or anything!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
well the AD30VT isn't a bad amp or anything!

True, I have the AD50VT and I love it. Celestion speaker and all.

On topic, a mesa lonestar is in that range if I am not mistaken.
Quote by imgooley
True, I have the AD50VT and I love it. Celestion speaker and all.

On topic, a mesa lonestar is in that range if I am not mistaken.

nah man unfortunately, not even close. 2,500 is the max and u can see the prices here:http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/index.htm

What about marshalls, which would be the best for my style
Gear
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
Quote by les witty
nah man unfortunately, not even close. 2,500 is the max and u can see the prices here:http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/index.htm

A Vintage Modern I suppose but I really think that the Orange is still the better amplifier.

Quote by Horlicks
JCM800 probably, unless you can get ceriatone there

Out of his price range. He has 2500 AUD to spend and the JCM 800 is 2999.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by les witty

Damn aussies and your insane inflation. I saw a 2x12 lonestar combo for 1500 usd. used of course.

I like the JCM800 from what I have heard of it. I am useless on marshall amps because I don't particularly care for them
Out of his price range. He has 2500 AUD to spend and the JCM 800 is 2999.

Thats only from there. Check eBay and other sites and look for a used JCM 800. You could easily find one for under 2500
Last edited by littlephil at Mar 23, 2008,
Orange AD30TC. Great overdrive, especially when power amp is CRANKED and better clean channel than the rocker to run a nice Fuzz into:-)
http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/orange/index.htm the one on sale then, if you can stretch your budget
http://globalvintage.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=26&Global-Vintage=f70ac5654c2f58323a643531436aee6c the Sun face fuzz, or any other fuzz on that page. If you can crank the power amp a overdrive isn't really necessary for those tones from the amp.
thanks everyone. Whats the difference between the orange rocker 30 and the ad30, is one better than the other? Also can someone explain to me the deal with cabinets. Like would i be able to gig with 30 watts and a 1X12 cabinet or would i need more speakers/watts
Gear
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
ALright i see in your sig you may be a lil confuzzled. Ill try clear it up for you.
Vox AD30 is a modelling amp, good for practise but not what you want.

Vox AC30 is a single channel amp, therefore is hard to get hard rock, let alone metal. Very much a classic rock amp, sounds great with FUZZ:-).

Orange AD30TC is a two channel amp although both channels are set up as single channel amps (both have gain and master volume and seperate eqs). This amp does have amazing overdrive if you crank it, and can reach early metal tones but feels more comfortable around hard rock and blues. This amp also has great cleans, better than the rocker series imo. It can be very dynamic. I own this amp, and love it.

Orange rocker 30 is a two channel amp that is set up like a two channel amp (one clean channel one overdrive). It is a fantastic amp for those Marshall Plexi tones, great sounding overdrive, especially when cranked. However the cleans do not have an EQ and aren't as good as the AD30. I almost bought this amp.

Orange rockerverb 50 is a lot like the rocker 30, but has an effects loop (sorry, forgot to say, niether of the other oranges have effects loops, these are good for modulation effects). It is higher gain and imo sounds amazing. Although for those bands i wouldn't go for it.

Yes, 30 watts and a 1x12 will be enough to gig, especially if miked. Oh and incase you didnt know fuzz will get you Hendrix tones, Zepp tones and Clapton tones, they go into the CLEAN channel of an amp. If you want fuzz i would choose between the Orange AD30TC and the Vox AC30.
Quote by nirvallica
ALright i see in your sig you may be a lil confuzzled. Ill try clear it up for you.
Vox AD30 is a modelling amp, good for practise but not what you want.

Vox AC30 is a single channel amp, therefore is hard to get hard rock, let alone metal. Very much a classic rock amp, sounds great with FUZZ:-).

Orange AD30TC is a two channel amp although both channels are set up as single channel amps (both have gain and master volume and seperate eqs). This amp does have amazing overdrive if you crank it, and can reach early metal tones but feels more comfortable around hard rock and blues. This amp also has great cleans, better than the rocker series imo. It can be very dynamic. I own this amp, and love it.

Orange rocker 30 is a two channel amp that is set up like a two channel amp (one clean channel one overdrive). It is a fantastic amp for those Marshall Plexi tones, great sounding overdrive, especially when cranked. However the cleans do not have an EQ and aren't as good as the AD30. I almost bought this amp.

Orange rockerverb 50 is a lot like the rocker 30, but has an effects loop (sorry, forgot to say, niether of the other oranges have effects loops, these are good for modulation effects). It is higher gain and imo sounds amazing. Although for those bands i wouldn't go for it.

Yes, 30 watts and a 1x12 will be enough to gig, especially if miked. Oh and incase you didnt know fuzz will get you Hendrix tones, Zepp tones and Clapton tones, they go into the CLEAN channel of an amp. If you want fuzz i would choose between the Orange AD30TC and the Vox AC30.

thanks a lot, so out of those 3 amps if i were going for a guns and roses kind of tone ud suggest the rocker 30?
Gear
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
go check out billy hyde and music city in petersham.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by nirvallica
Say, whereabouts in Sydney do you live?
I live on the North Shore near Hornsby, and ive been to Billy Hyde in Campredown and ive been to Allans music in the CBD but thats it i havent been to the one in Petersham
Gear
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
Also is there any advantage to having an orange head with an orange cabinet as opposed to something a bit cheaper??? And is there any advantage in getting the stack as opposed to just a combo seeing as the combo would be a lot cheaper
Gear
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
There is no advantage to getting a stack instead of a combo. And yes, if you were to get a cabinet i would strongly suggest you get an Orange or one of equal quality, a bad cab can make a great amp sound crap.
Off topic, but nirvallica, did you get the pm i sent you about that mi audio tubezone you said you might be selling?
I've never been to Australia but from reading this thread, it sounds like you must choose between Vox and Orange, because nothing else has yet reached your shores. I tend to doubt this, myself.

I personally am a fan of going to the Big City, finding the biggest guitar store in town, pulling out my own guitar and cord (that I brought along for the purpose), and going down the line, row by row, plugging into every one. You might find your needs more than met by some obscure brand name like Fender or Randall or Raven or Line 6 or, well, visit MF or zzounds or sameday or Sweetwater and start ogling around.

People here will invariably recommend whatever they bought. Since there are few BAD products out there (like Behringer), most people here will be pretty damn delighted with their purchases. We bought what we liked. Do some road tests, get what YOU like.
^Its not that we dont have good amps in Australia, its that they cost a ****load more because of inflation.
I also agree, look around and try amps out, find one you like
I dont check my PM's.. Sorry. But yeah where are you located and whats your offer?

And yeah its not that we dont have good brands. And there is a lot more than Orange and Vox (we have fenders, peaveys, marshalls, line 6y etc) its more that on US stuff we get ripped and i never suggest new MArshalls over Orange. We also get boutique stuff,m but its ridiculously expensive (like $9000 a half stack or combo)
I agree^ The only thing you may regret is not having an effects loop... Thats the only thing a dont like about my amp.
Quote by les witty
I live on the North Shore near Hornsby, and ive been to Billy Hyde in Campredown and ive been to Allans music in the CBD but thats it i havent been to the one in Petersham

music city is a 15 minute walk from billyhyde camperdown. just go up parramatta road.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer