I've been playing guitar for just over a year and like a fool never learned to alternate pick till a couple of months ago I started, and now I fear I'm doing something wrong, let me explain.

If I were to play for example something like:

---------------------------------------
-------------------------5--4--3------
--------------5--4--3-----------------
---5--4--3----------------------------

I would pick down, up, down then I would pick down again because I'm going down a string, it would be the same thing if I were going up a string. This seems to me to make sense but everything I've read about picking says a strict down, up, down etc. is this even in situations like that I mentioned above, to switch strings? Am I doing it wrong? It seems to work fine now but will it come and bite me in the ass later down the road? Should I retrain myself? Because that would be a pain in the ass because I've gotten so used to this.

Also this is my first post here but I've been using this site for a while.
What youre doing is economy picking, using a downstroke when changing to a string below and so on... Try to stick to constant alternate picking and when you have this down you can try the economy way if it makes you faster.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
What youre doing is economy picking, using a downstroke when changing to a string below and so on... Try to stick to constant alternate picking and when you have this down you can try the economy way if it makes you faster.

I pity the foo'

TS, you've basically discovered economy picking for yourself, which is an extension of alternate picking anyway and inherently faster due to using less individual movements to hit more notes.

There's always a big debate going on about alt picking vs economy picking and it's all absolute bollocks. Picking is picking, it's a means to an end, that's all - you pick however the hell you want to or feel like in order to achieve the desired end result.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes, that's economy picking and it's used by tons of players, from Frank Gambale to Synyster Gates. Many people will say it's even better (faster), because there's less hand movement. I find that usually economy picking (sometimes wrongly referred to as sweep picking but that's another technique entirely) gives a more fluent sound, great for certain licks and riffs. But for other things, I may use alternate picking because it's more percussive and also sounds a different way (compare Frank Gambale to John Petrucci for example).

I think it's great that you're used to economy picking because most people use alternate picking so you have a good chance of stanidng out from the crowd. But to say alternate picking is in any way "better" is just a matter of opinion, it has nothing to do with physics or science.
Thank you very much for the replies and after reading about Economy picking it all makes sense now.
It doesn't seem to make a difference for me. The only picking that stands out is down picking vs. every other picking style.
I've always used down picking and economy picking. Is it even worth it to learn alternative picking?
I did the same thing as the TS, when I first tried alternate picking I was actually economy picking, but I've corrected myself in the past few months, strictly alternate feels good to me.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by Ze_Metal
It doesn't seem to make a difference for me. The only picking that stands out is down picking vs. every other picking style.

It tends to stand out when you choose whether to sweep an arpeggio or alternate pick it. Both have distinct sounds and use different technique.
I don't need a sig....
Last edited by Zar Mulix at Mar 24, 2008,
Well, I'm pretty much done learning Alt picking after a few monthd I finally have it almost perfect. Only think the I still have trouble with is metalcore.

But, overall I think Alt picking is good to learn. It really helps in solos, the beautiful thing about it is learning new songs with Alt picking because it's so easy. The hardest part is re-learning songs using that technique.
Zar,

Yes, But I meant Downpicking Vs. Economy and Alt. ^^

But yeah, there is a lot of techniques and most of them sound very different.

That's what I dont like about Alt picking, my open D, C or E (6h string) sounds like junk when I use it.
i used to economy pick all the time, which was great. however, i started getting into paul gilbert and stuff and wanted to do some three note pre string runs. Now, it seems like it would be easier to play 3 note per string using economy picking, but its more consistant (and possibly faster) to use alternate picking i found. However, since i like a bit of the old jazz now i still use economy picking in that as its easier.

I quite like my picking technique atm, basically, 3 note per string, or fast regular patterns - alternate picking and anything else, its a mixture of economy and alternate.
"suicide hotline, please hold......."