Is the function of a reverb pedal to basically increase or decrease the sustain, making a held note last longer or shorter?

Thanks.
i have no clue but im gonna say.....yes
Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster (Sunburst)
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
Adds ambience and gives a thicker sound sometimes
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Johnonon
Adds ambience and gives a thicker sound sometimes

Ambience as in?
ambience as in can create a cool trailing effect that can sound epic if used right
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by no_thing101
what i dont understand is why you need a pedal for it. 99% of amps have it inbuilt.

I have the retarded 1% =D

But I am getting a new amp soon. But I would still like to know what it does.
It increases the sustain in a way, but not quite. Picture playing guitar in a large church or a cavern. When you stop playing, there's still sound whooshing around, but it's not exactly sustained notes.
Quote by Johnonon
ambience as in can create a cool trailing effect that can sound epic if used right

Thanks. =)
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Is the function of a reverb pedal to basically increase or decrease the sustain, making a held note last longer or shorter?

Thanks.

No, that's a compression pedal basically. A reverb adds ambience, sort of sounds like you're playing in a big, empty hall.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Reverb is to make it sound like your in a big room/hall or even a cave etc
have you ever been in like a big hall...it's almost like a slight echo...

makes the sound stay around a little bit longer, but its not enough to be considered sustain imo
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
reverb just means reverberation of sound in a room or a hall for example. the pedals mimic that sound.
It's like a series of very very short delays continuing for a while. It gives that ambient feel like you're in a hall or something. I sometimes use it for along with a leslie for that "cloudy" sound.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr