Well I went to samash 2 days ago. Found the amp I was looking for, and was impressed on how big it was compared to my MG15 (sold it). So I ask the guy, "do you guys have that amp, but in tweed?"

He checks, and says no, "but we can order it for you" and I say, "allright". Then the guy says he'll leave me the amp at $545.00 (original was $570) and I say "perfect!"
so I leave my $75 dollar deposit leaving the amp at $508.15 including the tax which was $30 something.

So then I go home, tell my mum about it and she goes insane, and whatnot. Telling me how can you be blahblahblahblah...

So then i DID realize that $545 for an amp is alittle too much for 15 yr old, and I'm now considering 2 things. I don't even have a job

1)Saving up for the Peavey classic
or
2)go to GC, and get a palomino v16 which is actually in my price range.

I want an amp that will last me a long time, and that's basically why I wanted to get the P30 in the first place.

So would saving up to $508 be BETTER than going for a palomino v16?
I don't think I'll get a new amp in 5 years If i go for the P30, but I might get a new amp in 1 or 2 years if I go for the palomino.

I also heard that you can't get really good cleans with the v16, if performing live for an audience. True?

Please help me.
dude stick with the classic 30. you really would NEVER have to replace it... only if you become extremely picky with your tone or if your an extreme metal head. the clean channel is great and its a good base to get any tone you want with effect pedals.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
The peavey classic is one of the best amps you can get without going boutique or paying two grand.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
The peavey classic is one of the best amps you can get without going boutique or paying two grand.

Definitely, I've had the Classic 30 for a while, and it was one of the best amps i've heard until I went boutique and payed two grand for my Chute CC-04 all tube half stack, in my opinion the best amp on earth.

Although my Chute is a class A tube amp so the clean channel doesn't stay clean at high volumes, so I still use either my Bandit 112 or the Classic 30 for ska,jazz, ect.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Last edited by pawnluv at Mar 23, 2008,
Definitely just go for it. Take the plunge so you have no regrets. I'm 15 and have no income and have made several purchases that cost more than that. It's just a matter of determination and patience.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Definitely buy the Classic 30. I bought a used one locally (old design, tweed, knobs not upside down from the front) and it sounds absolutely phenomenal. The more time that is spent with it the more I enjoy it. I'm usually a metal head but this amp allows me to focus more on my technique being that it's not super duper high gain. It also forces me to use my guitar's controls a bit more and focus on playing dynamics, which is always a plus. I think it's a great value with great sound.
You can find Peavey Classics used for $400 and under. So that might be an option.

Many people get by with 15W amps for long periods of time. My son has the V16, and it's serving him very well. He gets decent cleans at small gig volumes, and has enough power to fill his school auditorium.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you have earned and saved up the money for it, and that's what you want, and your mom isn't going to stop you from buying it, then if it's the amp you want, by all means, get it. Try to palomino, though. If you like it, and it'll save you some money and keep your mom happy, then that wouldn't be a bad idea, but if you feel like you'll just have to buy a new amp in a year or two, then it's hardly worth it.

EDIT: Slats mentioned buying it used. I've seem them go for as low as $300 and i regularly see them at $350. So that's certainly worth looking at.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at Mar 23, 2008,
I rather save up to pay it new though. and my samash doesn't have any used P30's, and the floor model ones are not tweed . I need the tweed color.
So you'd rather spend $200+ to have the same amp? Used is nearly always the better deal. Look at craigslist and i bet if your local one is decent, you can find a tweed classic 30 eventually. Why does it need to be tweed, anyway? Looks are just that important?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
So you'd rather spend $200+ to have the same amp? Used is nearly always the better deal. Look at craigslist and i bet if your local one is decent, you can find a tweed classic 30 eventually. Why does it need to be tweed, anyway? Looks are just that important?

Sadly, I'm really picky about the looks on amps. I wish I could get rid of that lol, but I guess I could go to GC, and see what I find.
The tweed does look amazing
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by esp1234
Well I went to samash 2 days ago. Found the amp I was looking for, and was impressed on how big it was compared to my MG15 (sold it). So I ask the guy, "do you guys have that amp, but in tweed?"

He checks, and says no, "but we can order it for you" and I say, "allright". Then the guy says he'll leave me the amp at $545.00 (original was $570) and I say "perfect!"
so I leave my $75 dollar deposit leaving the amp at $508.15 including the tax which was $30 something.

So then I go home, tell my mum about it and she goes insane, and whatnot. Telling me how can you be blahblahblahblah...

So then i DID realize that $545 for an amp is alittle too much for 15 yr old, and I'm now considering 2 things. I don't even have a job

1)Saving up for the Peavey classic
or
2)go to GC, and get a palomino v16 which is actually in my price range.

I want an amp that will last me a long time, and that's basically why I wanted to get the P30 in the first place.

So would saving up to $508 be BETTER than going for a palomino v16?
I don't think I'll get a new amp in 5 years If i go for the P30, but I might get a new amp in 1 or 2 years if I go for the palomino.

I also heard that you can't get really good cleans with the v16, if performing live for an audience. True?

Please help me.

by the time I was 16 I'd spent over $1000 on guitar gear. GO FOR IT!!
Also, I've seen 2 types of peaveys. Which one is the new one??

or

im 20 and i've spent over $4000 on guitars/gear, if it's what you love go for it. Money can't buy you love but it can sure buy you a sh*tload of gear.

edit, the first one is the new one.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by esp1234
Also, I've seen 2 types of peaveys. Which one is the new one??

The top one.

I think Peavey got sick of people taking the logo off the old one and pretending they had a Fender.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
first off, good luck finding any palominos at guitar center. the whole line have been discontinued and they were sold at cost. unless your lucky.

but don't buy a c30 new just get it used. on ebay you can get those for a fraction of the new price.

my gc has one palomino left and im considering on buying it. the v50 with 2 12s for 399! noone wants the freaking thing for some reason.

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
^
If I do get it used, how much would a new pair of tubes cost? and how can I tell if they need changing?
Buy the Classic. The thing sounds better than most $1000-1500 amps out there, so you're really getting a lot of bang for your buck.

Put it to you this way, I've got both a Peavey JSX and the P30, and the vast majority of gigs I play I'll opt for the Clasisc just about everytime (It's gotta be mic'd mind you) The only time I'll use the JSX is if I need really good cleans really loud, or if I'm doing more of a hard rock/metalish type of a gig.

I've also had a number of Mesa amps, and honestly I'd pick a $600 P30 over the $2500 Roadster anyday.

Just go buy it! Now!
are the Orange crush CR30R 30W any good? good enough as the P30? Is it tube?
I got my Classic 50 for $380 used.

Just be patient and you can find a deal
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by esp1234
are the Orange crush CR30R 30W any good? good enough as the P30? Is it tube?

Basically the Orange equivalent to a Marshall MG.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.