Me and a friend were bitching to each other last night about quantization[using digital editing software to make sure evry note is perfectly in time].

He claims that even rock bands use it in their recordings (rather than just hip-hop/dance/etc.). I, however, refused to believe this as I couldn't bear the thought of the super tightness on all my metal albums being down to digital MIDI ****.

Do all (or most) bands do this on their recordings?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
I swear Dragonforce use it... >_>
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by boreamor
Quantizing doesn't work on recordings. Only MIDI instruments I believe.

Thank you! C.U.N.T. is getting pwnd.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Me and a friend were bitching to each other last night about quantization[using digital editing software to make sure evry note is perfectly in time].

He claims that even rock bands use it in their recordings (rather than just hip-hop/dance/etc.). I, however, refused to believe this as I couldn't bear the thought of the super tightness on all my metal albums being down to digital MIDI ****.

Do all (or most) bands do this on their recordings?

Well, obviously not EVERY band uses it. So what's the big deal?

Anyway, you're having an amazing misconception about MIDI.
It'd sound pretty **** if they did use it to get everything in time. Maybe occasionally on just the drums, but I doubt on anything else.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by Time Seller
Well, obviously not EVERY band uses it. So what's the big deal?

Anyway, you're having an amazing misconception about MIDI.

I dont know **** about MIDI. He just insisted he was right cos he does a mickey mouse college course.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Quote by guitarist41
I dont know **** about MIDI. He just insisted he was right cos he does a mickey mouse college course.

I'm also doing a music tech college course, and we only used quantising on MIDI, and not on the multi-track recording. So he's wrong.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Midi has nothing to do with what you're talking about.

And quantization is one of the stages in analog-to-digital conversion. So again, nothing to do with what you're talking about.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Thanx all.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Quote by Guitardude19
I swear Dragonforce use it... >_>

+1 Guitardude19 i think hes right.
im pretty sure something similar is used in all recordings....thats why bands sound so good on cd, but not as good live (still prefer live though - its not as perfect)
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
Re read an article on it, its a method of cutting noise in recordings when converting them so Im sure its used a lot.

(Note to self, post what brain thinks, not what fingers type).
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Mar 23, 2008,
MIDI = Musical Instrumental Digital Interface

so you can't "use" MIDI to quantize your recording

Metal and Rock bands use something special to keep so tight and in time:

a metronome
Last edited by alexmonty12 at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by guitarist41
Thank you! C.U.N.T. is getting pwnd.

Actually, using any number of tools, such as Melodyne or Recycle + a sampler, you can quantize audio as well

Check it

However, it does really come down to ability
Quote by alexmonty12

Metal and Rock bands use something special to keep so tight and in time:

a metronome

That's what I said...**** didn't believe me. lol
Quote by neidnarb11890
Quote by boreamor
Quantizing doesn't work on recordings. Only MIDI instruments I believe.

If the band record to a click track, which they almost certainly do, they can put things back into time though.

If they record nowadays then they almost certainly do. No producer is gonna sit and waste time re-recording stuff if they can just whack it back into time.

Neither of you *can* be talking about quantizing but I can tell you that there's no reason to suspect that what the bands record is exactly what's kept.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by MastaBassist10
Actually, using any number of tools, such as Melodyne or Recycle + a sampler, you can quantize audio as well

Check it

However, it does really come down to ability

That software's amazing, I can't remember what it's called but I watched a video about it not so long ago.
Quote by guitarist41

it's possible to quantize audio. read this article on the program beat detective:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug03/articles/protoolsnotes.htm?print=yes

also, if your mate is studying music tech at college, good on him for taking a risk and doing something he enjoys. 'mickey mouse course' is a term for snobs.
Last edited by agreth_3rd at Mar 23, 2008,