hi. im a newb when it comes to guitar theory. i got this book which has the major scale in A. To work out the scale in the rest of the keys u have to use the formula:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

the scale is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------4---5----------
----------------------------------------------------------------5----7------------------
-------------------------------------------------4----6-----7--------------------------
------------------------------4-----6------7-------------------------------------------
-------------4----5-----7-------------------------------------------------------------
----5---7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

can someone explain to me please how i can work out this scale in other keys e.g. B, C.. etc. and also how i can apply this to other scales e.g. lydian, ionian etc.

thanks!!
To work it out in other keys, it literally is just move it up or down the fretboard.

The 5th fret on the E string is A, which gives the scale it's name. To do a C, you'd start on the 8th fret in the same pattern, to do a D you'd start at the 10th fret, etc.
What do you know about intervals? Do you know what 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 means? It's okay to say "no," but if you don't know, speak up, because you'll need to understand the basics before you get into more complex stuff.

Also, you have given one acceptable way to play the scale, but scales are not box positions or patterns. The major scale exists all over the neck.
Why do we even have a theory sticky?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
even so, just look at the different scales and compare the differences yourself.. can't expect other people to show you every single thing
TS: Make sure you understand the major scale completely before moving into modes; you mentioned Lydian and Ionian but don't focus on that terminology right now. Don't worry about them for now; make sure you grasp the basics perfectly first.
To work out major scales strating from the root:

R(1) Tone/Whole 2 Tone/Whole 3 Semitone/Half 4 Tone/Whole 5 Tone/Whole 6 Tone/Whole 7 Semitone/Half R(1)

The common way of writing this is:

TTSTTTS

or

WWHWWWH

Heres an example using C major:

The Root note is C, so to work out the next note up, we apply the formula above, which shows we have to go up a Tone/Whole. This note is D. The formula shows that from D we have to go up another Tone/Whole, which gives us E. Now the formula shows that we have to go up a Semitone/Half which gives us F. If we continue to follow the formula we end up with:

[font="Courier New"]1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C D E F G A B C
 T T S T T T S
 W W H W W W H[/FONT]

Hope that helped.
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
I'm just posting to reinforce the most correct answer. Listen to the posts that tell you to learn scale construction as intervals/step motion. Do NOT get used to moving around the pattern. Tho it's helpful and extremely useful it'll lead you into a rut if you end up learning it before learning scale construction.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Wow thanks alot guys. i didnt expect that much help. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! i will take ur advice.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
What do you know about intervals? Do you know what 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 means? It's okay to say "no," but if you don't know, speak up, because you'll need to understand the basics before you get into more complex stuff.

Also, you have given one acceptable way to play the scale, but scales are not box positions or patterns. The major scale exists all over the neck.

i dont know what they are actually? can u explain plz? is 123456 the same as WWHWWWH ?
Last edited by player123 at Mar 24, 2008,
They represent the degrees of the scale. In C major, the notes are C D E F G A B. 1 corresponds with the root (C in this case) and may be represented with the letter R, though this is less common (ie R 2 3 4 5 6 7). So, from C, D is a major second up, E is a major third up, F is a perfect third up, G is a perfect up, A is a major sixth up, and B is a major seventh up.

This becomes important when you are given the task of writing something like the C Phrygian Dominant scale. For now, just think of the Phrygian Dominant scale as an advanced scale; you will learn how to use it later. Anyway, the intervals of the C Phrygian Dominant scale are 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7. So, you take the C major scale and apply the formula to it. The second is flattened from a major second to a minor second, so D turns into Db. The sixth is flattened from a major sixth to a minor sixth, so A turns into Ab. The seventh is flattened from a major seventh to a minor seventh, so B turns into Bb. Other than that, the notes are the same, so the scale is C Db E F G Ab Bb.

I'll give you some practice exercises. Either post the answers here of PM me, but if you PM me make sure you include my exercises because I won't remember what I posted.

I will use scales that you have never heard of for this exercise, perhaps even making up my own (yes, you can do that and you will get to it later). You don't have to concern yourself with how to use the scales yet, but even without knowing anything about them, you should be able to give me the notes if I give you the major scale and the intervals of the new scale.

1. The C major scale is C D E F G A B. What is the C Melodic Minor scale, 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7?

2. The D Major scale is D E F# G A B C#. What is the D Mixolydian scale, 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7?

3. The Bb major scale is Bb C D Eb F G A. What is the Bb Lydian Augmented scale, 1 2 3 #4 #5 6 7?

4. The E major scale is E F# G# A B C# D#. What is the E Harmonic Minor Scale, 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7.

Let's see how you do with these.

Another thing to keep in mind with intervals is the concept of half and whole steps. A half step is equal to one fret and a whole step is 2 frets. C to C# is a half step and C to D is a whole step. Intervals such as "major third" correspond to the number of half steps between the root and the higher note. A chart with this information can be found in the interval section of the "learn your theory" link in my sig. The link is a good thing to read, though the later parts of it will overwhelm you if you just read it all at once.
bangoodcharlote is a GOD and a LEGEND! people like u should be paid to post in forums. THANKS! i will do the excercises and pm u.
Quote by player123
bangoodcharlote is a GOD and a LEGEND! people like u should be paid to post in forums. THANKS! i will do the excercises and pm u.
Immediately sigged.