Well im sick of playing the power chord shape so im looking for some new chords to play with.

I only know open chords and power chords sooo... major chords? i dont realy know.

Any help?

Quote by jAzZMataZz
what do you mean by chords with distortion?

I mean chords that dont sound like crap when i use distortion.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

e|-------------------
B|-------------------
G|----9-------11---
D|-9--7--11---9----
A|-7--5---9---7----
E|-5------7--------

Sus2 or something like that chords.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Depends on what you're trying to play.

The chords above do well for just about any kind of rock/metal.

If you want a dissonant metal chord, try these kinds of chords (I believe they're called dirges):

e|--------------------
B|----6--7---8--------
G|----9--10--11-------
D|--------------------
A|--------------------
E|--------------------
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by werty22
Melodic chords?

ugh i dont know the proper term =(

http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/into_eternitys_tim_roth_guitar_lesson_3_melodic_lead_lines.html

Like the chords this guy plays in his lesson.
Those chords are open majors - I saw a D and a G major played open in there...
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/

has all chords, scales that you want great website
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
you oculd also try using 4th diads (other wise known as reverse powerchords) with root on the 6th, or 5th or 4th string,,,play the note and fret the next string on the same fret (like playing power chords in drop D on the 6th string)

its literally the same as a powerchord, the only difference is that the root and the "5th" have bin reversed so their only 4 intervals apart instead of 5 which gives a slightly different sound
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by sajuuk
you oculd also try using 4th diads (other wise known as reverse powerchords) with root on the 6th, or 5th or 4th string,,,play the note and fret the next string on the same fret (like playing power chords in drop D on the 6th string)

its literally the same as a powerchord, the only difference is that the root and the "5th" have bin reversed so their only 4 intervals apart instead of 5 which gives a slightly different sound

so it would be

e---------
b----------
g-------5
d-5-----5
a-5-----5
e-5---

like that?
^ Not quite.

D 3--------------3
A 1--------------3
E 1 instead of 1
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i like using the open G shape and the open C shape now for major chords. and with overdrive they sound pretty cool. they sound bigger, deeper, and crunchy. and they sound a little more interesting that regular major chords or power chords. for the G shape though i dont play the whole shape. i just do it like this:

---------------
---2----------
---2----------
---2----------
-------4------
---------5----

barre with the index and use the ring and pinky for the bottom notes.

the C shape would be:

---2------------
-----3----------
---2------------
-------4--------
---------5------
----------------

the top note is optional and i usually dont play it much. again, barre the 2nd fret with the index, middle for the 3rd and ring and pinky for the bottom.
e------------
b--2--5--7-
g--2--5--7-
d--2--5--7-
a------------
E------------

A C D

Major Chords, if you play them punchy without letting them resonate too long it should sound decent.
Depends on the kind of distortion. The way I use distortion most chords will sounds fine, but some people use distortion to the point where even power chords sound like mud. just mess around with chords you know.
E--1------1------1------------------------
B--3------3------3------------------------
G--2------3------4------------------------
D-------------------------------------------

Got those from Hangar 18, baby!
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Look into some opeth, I'm not up on my theory but I'm pretty sure they use alot of minor chords.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
get the basic chords add a 9th or a 7th

play dissonant stuff

Do tapped chords, where you play notes far appart by tapping the notes of the chord.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i like using the open G shape and the open C shape now for major chords. and with overdrive they sound pretty cool. they sound bigger, deeper, and crunchy. and they sound a little more interesting that regular major chords or power chords. for the G shape though i dont play the whole shape. i just do it like this:

---------------
---2----------
---2----------
---2----------
-------4------
---------5----

the C shape would be:

---2------------
-----3----------
---2------------
-------4--------
---------5------
----------------

the top note is optional and i usually dont play it much. again, barre the 2nd fret with the index, middle for the 3rd and ring and pinky for the bottom.

Oh i actualy do that (the G shaped one)

i totaly forgot about it though haha.
e--------------------------
h--------------------------
g-----------11------------
d-----------9--------------
a-----------11------------
e-----------0--------------
Quote by Matsols
add the fifth

... stupid. You dont add the 5th to a power chord. A power chord already HAS the fifth.

You need to add the big third for major or the small third for minor. Examples: Am or A.

Then you can add
the big or small 7th if you want. Example: A7.

add the 9th (A9), add the 13th (A13),
remove the third and add the 2nd/4th for sus2/sus4.

thats a ****load of chords to master. Get on with it. Finger settings can be found with google or on the tabs that you need to use em with.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear

---------------
---2----------
---2----------
---2----------
-------4------
---------5----

the C shape would be:

---2------------
-----3----------
---2------------
-------4--------
---------5------
----------------

that second chord isnt C, its D.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
you know there are alot of different power chords, my favorite are the add 9, add 11 and adding the bass note.
Check out on youtube the part 10 and 11 of the John Petrucci Rock Discipline video. He explains very good stuff about chord construction, especially those used with distortion.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Get a book on theory, notably one about harmony, and you'll soon understand it all.

One technique I sometimes use in a song is get the bassist to play the root, then stack the b2, b5, and Maj7 on top of it. It sounds deliciously horrifying.
Quote by Matsols
add the fifth

arent power chords...root - fifth and an octave if you want...
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<