So I'm recording an album, in a week and a half, and I've been really lazy and I really need to finish these songs, but I'm not sure how

Song #1

I'm just going to put the chords down

intro/verse/??
e 12 10
B 5 10 10
G 0 9 9
D 7 10 10
A 7
E

e
B 10 13 10 10 12 10 based on a Dm and Fmaj7
G 10 10 9 9
D 12 10
A
E

I don't know what to add, but i want something really full, like chords, I could use. I was influenced by One Armed Scissor

Song #2

e
B
G
D 0 4p0 0 4 7p4 4
A 0h2 2 2 2/5 5 5
E

I'm sure thats in Am,
the chords I were going to use are

e
B 5 7
G X X
D 4 5
A 5 7
E

I don't really care for it though, I was influenced by the album "A crow left of murder" by Incubus for this intro

And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by frigginjerk
and you're recording and ALBUM in a week and a half?... good luck

well these are the only songs I haven't finished

it's more like an EP, just about 8-10 songs
looks to me like your not even close to being ready to record.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Quote by TDKshorty
well these are the only songs I haven't finished

it's more like an EP, just about 8-10 songs

but i mean... i've been in bands long enough to know that nobody is gonna be able to give you useful advice on how to finish your songs based only on tabs (which do not notate rhythm and timing) and reference to the songs you had in mind when you came up with it...

and unless you've got infinite free studio time, you're gonna pay an awful lot of money if you have to be teaching the band the changes you'll be making to the unfinished songs over the next week or two.

/thread
Last edited by frigginjerk at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by frigginjerk
but i mean... i've been in bands long enough to know that nobody is gonna be able to give you useful advice on how to finish your songs based only on tabs (which do not notate rhythm and timing) and reference to the songs you had in mind when you came up with it...

and unless you've got infinite free studio time, you're gonna pay an awful lot of money if you have to be teaching the band the changes you'll be making to the unfinished songs over the next week or two.

Except for my friend, I'm the only one writing, he sings though

I'm just having friends jam it out and we're recording, i do have infinite studio time

it'll be a bit lower quality, but it'll still be good quality

http://www.myspace.com/jdbrooks123 thats going to be the quality, but i've got a better gear than he does so it'll be a bit better

I just need some advice
here's my advice: don't ask US for help. ask your band. they're the ones who know the most about the music besides you, and they're the ones who NEED to know how to play it.

tabs don't show rhythm, and theory is tough to apply to a song you can't hear or count, so you won't get much help this way.
Quote by frigginjerk
here's my advice: don't ask US for help. ask your band. they're the ones who know the most about the music besides you, and they're the ones who NEED to know how to play it.

tabs don't show rhythm, and theory is tough to apply to a song you can't hear or count, so you won't get much help this way.

well they're just going to record what I tell them

I don't want you guys to write out tabs, but like "oh you could play this here" or something
Quote by Ziggums
If you could at least Tab it in GuitarPro or Powertab and show it us then so we could see the rhythm?

i wish I could, I'm HORRIBLE with powertab

can you teach me
Quote by TDKshorty
well they're just going to record what I tell them

and i'm sure they'll just magically be able to play exactly what you tell them with no problems, first try. And there's no chance that you'll have to break down certain parts into intricate detail in order to get them sounding right.

let me stop being sarcastic and remove all the ambiguity here:

YOUR RECORDING PROJECT IS NOT GOING TO GO QUICKLY IF THIS IS THE WAY YOU WANT TO DO IT.

especially if your band is made up of your fellow 16 year-olds.

unless i'm misunderstanding... when you say "record an album" i assume you mean you have goals of playing on stage, maybe selling that album to people, having a generally good public reaction to your music....

if you just want a funny basement jam recording, then by all means tell them what to record right before you start tracking.

but if you want it to sound organized and "good," then you will have to teach them when to go from verse to chorus, and all the other changes, and you'll have to teach them how the riffs go so that they can play something that fits in rhythmically and melodically.
Quote by frigginjerk
and i'm sure they'll just magically be able to play exactly what you tell them with no problems, first try. And there's no chance that you'll have to break down certain parts into intricate detail in order to get them sounding right.

let me stop being sarcastic and remove all the ambiguity here:

YOUR RECORDING PROJECT IS NOT GOING TO GO QUICKLY IF THIS IS THE WAY YOU WANT TO DO IT.

especially if your band is made up of your fellow 16 year-olds.

unless i'm misunderstanding... when you say "record an album" i assume you mean you have goals of playing on stage, maybe selling that album to people, having a generally good public reaction to your music....

if you just want a funny basement jam recording, then by all means tell them what to record right before you start tracking.

but if you want it to sound organized and "good," then you will have to teach them when to go from verse to chorus, and all the other changes, and you'll have to teach them how the riffs go so that they can play something that fits in rhythmically and melodically.

we're 17

anyways, I never said this will go easy or how hard this will be or anything.

it's all going to workout
anyways, the fact remains, as was stated by a few other people, you don't seem ready to record in a week and a half.

the thing about recording is that it's often a frustrating process for all involved. the longer it takes, the more frustrating it gets. and the more time you have to spend teaching the songs to each other, the more frustrating THAT gets. Then people start to argue and fight, and then people quit the band

i'm not saying it's gonna happen to you, but just remember that you should only record when the whole group is actually ready.
Quote by frigginjerk
anyways, the fact remains, as was stated by a few other people, you don't seem ready to record in a week and a half.

the thing about recording is that it's often a frustrating process for all involved. the longer it takes, the more frustrating it gets. and the more time you have to spend teaching the songs to each other, the more frustrating THAT gets. Then people start to argue and fight, and then people quit the band

i'm not saying it's gonna happen to you, but just remember that you should only record when the whole group is actually ready.

Well we're going to record everything that is done and then we'll record the bits and peices we have of songs and let everyone listen to them and ...yeah

if it gets out of hand we'll handle it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BDIX0HO0

here's for the first one, it's decent I guess

there's going to be delay on the arppegiated chords and that'll kind of be verse

I have another part but its not really in the same key
salut?
so, did you guys hear about that fight in the pit?

yeah