hi guys, i've just got a new amp and i've no freaking clue how to use it. i mean, turn on and plug in the guitar is easy. but how the **** do i get the right sound ? i play metallica music right now but i want to move to other metal stuff too. problem is, i dont freaking know how to use the damn thing. all the knobs and all. i know it sounds stupid to all of you, but i'm new to the guitar, especially electric guitar. so could someone help me? thank you!
if you're new don't start with metallica.
get a teacher.
Quote by Tvr
get a teacher.

settings thread.....its stickied
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
wip the "gain" all way up to the maximum make shure the volume is off then switch it to ure prefrence, then the other nobs play with them but make shure there all below mark 5 or 4 so about half way turned the little mark should be pointing up if you go above ull go into overdrive and if your playing metallica u want distortion... this is the basic way of making a distortion effect on a normal amp... if this is wrong then ull probbley have to tell us what amp yuou have
Well to get a Metallica sound, you need to "scoop the mids". Which basically means you dial the knob that says midrange on it to about 4 or 5. The treble and bass then need to be placed in at around 7 or 8. The gain, or distortion, or whatever your amp has, is then turned to full, then back off slightly on the gain as you get better at playing and your ear becomes more accustomed to the different frequencies.

I'd stick to one sound for now if I were you, or just mess around yourself for a while. Thats how I learned, just through my own means.
Quote by Tvr
get a teacher.

Pfft teachers are a waste of money.

Teach yourself.
Quote by Untitled001
Pfft teachers are a waste of money.

Teach yourself.

Depends on how you learn best.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

hey thanks guys. i've tried it on the amp for metallica songs and its quite good for me. but then. there is some problem with my amp or maybe something else. cause i want to play ac/dc songs too. but then, i've read that you need low gain of 3-5 but then when i do that on my amp, there is no distortion and sounds clean. ac/dc aint clean at all, its rock. help please.. thanks guys..
Quote by spikesisshuai
hey thanks guys. i've tried it on the amp for metallica songs and its quite good for me. but then. there is some problem with my amp or maybe something else. cause i want to play ac/dc songs too. but then, i've read that you need low gain of 3-5 but then when i do that on my amp, there is no distortion and sounds clean. ac/dc aint clean at all, its rock. help please.. thanks guys..

I'm not sure of that particular amp although you may have it on the clean channel. There should be a button somewhere that you push to switch the channels.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
i have the lead switch on, but it sounds like so clean. really irritating cause there is too much distortion when i play ac/dc with like 7 and above gain.
Actually AC/DC is technically clean, just clean cranked really high. But that won't work if your amp is SS.

But anyhow, ultimate settings thread and all that is total rubbish IMO, no amp is the same. For the best sound, just fiddle with your gain, EQ etc until you find sounds which you are happy with.
i've tried for ac/dc sound but i just cant seem to get it. if i could after trying why in the world must i ask right ? i cant seem to get any distortion on my amp below 6.
Amp settings mean nothing - different bands use different guitars and different amps with different settings, you've got no chance of replicating every tone you've ever heard with one amp.

Forget what other people sound like and simply find the sounds that work best with your equipment.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You could try putting gain at around 6 or 7 then gradually scooping mids until you get an AC/DC like sound. High mids will usually give your rock tone a more vintage sound.
just asking everyone, since my friends who play the guitar are all in the army now. do amps have any distortion sound when you turn the knob to below 5 ? cause mine does not have. and also, could it be the fault of my cable. mine is 20 years old (my dads old one) and has not been used for 20 years.
Yes it should still have distortion below 5. Are you definately sure you have it on the gain channel ?
The lead won't be the reason for it not being distorted although maybe you should buy a new one anyway. I see you in singapore ! I went there last year and found an awesome little music shop called Davis Guitar. You should definately go and check it out if you havn't already. It was near the IT centre and inside of a multi level shopping mall.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
yeah. i've been to Davis Guitar. its a small shop and does not really bring in many new stuff. they don't even bring in Gibsons. only one shop in singapore brings in and you have to order. alright. but it can't be the cable's problem ? cause i just got this new amp.
I just remember them having some awesome ESP's.
Yeah its not the cable.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
It might just be a crap amp, those little cheap starter amps are little more than noiseboxes...they don't tend to do anything approaching a recognisable guitar tone/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Find a sound you like for gosh sakes and stick with it that amp is not going replicate different artists.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd