Page 1 of 3
I'm kinda tired of hearing and reading the word "overrated"

So, I'm trying a new angle here: Who are some artists or bands who you hate or dislike, yet you find yourself having some respect for?

Like if they were the first to do this or they only ones to do that... etc. Innovators in their genre somehow.

Or maybe they did one thing extremely different from what the normally do.

I'll start... Marilyn Manson. He's had a few songs here and there that I thought were just ok. Nothing great, nothing worth too much of my time. The reason this guy pisses me off is that there are people who worship his freak-ass and think he is "sexy"
*shudders*

BUT! I respect the man because of the work he did scoring the first Resident Evil movie with Marco Beltrami. I liked the mood they created and I believe that if they had kept him on to score the other two RE movies, they wouldn't have sucked so bad.

So, that is an example... and no flaming or anything like that. This isn't a "hate" only thread. This is a "I hate them, but dammit, I respect them" thread.

(And if this has been done before, I'm sorry. The search bar wasn't working a minute ago. Might be my internet connection.)
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I don't hate Jason Becker at all, but I don't like his music. However, I still respect his devotion to music and his character.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
buckethead.

even though his costume is a ploy, and he uses a killswitch, he's pretty good at guiar.
Slash
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
steve vai. i admit he's extremeley skilled, but does he have to make my ears bleed everytime he plays something?
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

jimi hendrix. Hate his music. (converting all power to flame shield). But i respect his abilities.
Gerard Way, he's annoying yet I respect him because he seems to have suceeded in what he wanted to do.
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Yoko Ono.

I hate her for wasting her money on bathroom coke binges but respect her for her choice in backing musicians.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by lexaah
steve vai. i admit he's extremeley skilled, but does he have to make my ears bleed everytime he plays something?

+1

I really don't like Bruce Springsteen, but I do respect all the music he's made over the years.
Quote by South-of-Heaven
Slash

+1
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Quote by keithward
buckethead.

even though his costume is a ploy, and he uses a killswitch, he's pretty good at guiar.

just saw him last night

twas awesome

he played rudolph the red nosed reigndeer

but I don't like the beatles at all. but I recognize that they were influential in music and I respect that.
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
dragonforce. im not really sure what to think...i dont like their music really but they play like crazy but they also use a lot of effects and layered guitars
Pink Floyd. I, for one reason or another, can't stand their music. Still, Gilmour and Waters are both great musicians.

Same goes for Muse.

OH! And whoever wrote the following songs:

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go- Wham
Jessie's Girl- Rick Springfield
Danger Zone- Kenny Loggins
Sister Christian- Night Ranger
Here I Go Again- Whitesnake

Because they're so goddamn catchy.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Mar 23, 2008,
Bon Jovi as well

Annoying songs but you cant help sing to them
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
ICP... their music sucks ass, and despite all the ridicule and hate they get, they did manage to carve a niche for themselves, did all themselves.

I guess I respect Enter Shikari for the same exact thing...

According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Off the top of my high mind:

James Blunt, when his Your Beautiful was a giant hit. I read him saying in an interview once

"Yeah a lot of people keep saying I'm a one hit wonder but hey, that song keeps getting me laid all the time."

(something to that effect anyway.)
Word.
Quote by black-sabbath
dragonforce. im not really sure what to think...i dont like their music really but they play like crazy but they also use a lot of effects and layered guitars

agreed. I hate they're music. the singing all of it. Their guitars are just layered and fast. Anyone can play fast. They dont....feel it. But i still respect them as musicians.
Quote by trickie

James Blunt, when his Your Beautiful was a giant hit. I read him saying in an interview once

"Yeah a lot of people keep saying I'm a one hit wonder but hey, that song keeps getting me laid all the time."

Would you believe, that James Blunt was an officer in the British army in Kosovo?

Damn.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I hate Marilyn Manson. But I respect him. The guy knows his stuff.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by luuuuuuukee
i hate how tom morello wears soviet logos and CCCP shirts, but I love his music.

Communism isn't bad... just nobody has perfected it yet...

anyways...

Dave Navarro. Can't stand the guy as a person, but he's a great musician, and I like his music.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by trickie

I do have to say, he was f*cking hilarious when he was on Top Gear. Constantly taking the piss out of himself.
Ummmm Nickelback, I hate them. but i gotta respect them, they're not like most new age bands nowadays.
The UG churches Tabernacle maintenence guy.

I suvived the Bannecide.
michael angelo batio

he's a sweet guitarist, but just watching a video of him makes me wanna hurl
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
The singer from A7X. His voice has always annoyed me alot, but for some reason his voice fits really well with the music.

I could say the same about Phil Anselmo and Axl Rose.

Prince. I really can't stand his music, but he can play the hell out of a guitar.
Quote by HangmaN47
Ummmm Nickelback, I hate them. but i gotta respect them, they're not like most new age bands nowadays.

Nickelback? New age?

Quote by last-1s-out
Bon Jovi as well

Annoying songs but you cant help sing to them

+1
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

The Beatles, Muse, The Mars Volta and Fall of Troy. I don't like their music, but they're good musicians who did their own thing, and I admire that.

Also, Leo Fender. I love his designs, but apparently he was an asshole.
I just thought of someone else: David Bowie. I don't see the big deal, but he is a huge influence to many musicians I enjoy listening to. So, he must have done something right.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

After going through my some old threads of mine, I found this one and couldn't help but notice that everyone was being civil and no one had said that this was done before. Wonder why I didn't keep it alive?

Bringing it back:

Foo Fighters. I really don't see anything great about them. But, Dave Grohl is a great multi-talented musician. I'd like him better if he'd stick to drumming, but its great he can do so many other things. I just don't like him as a front man.
Quote by Article

Kurt cobain

I FRIKKIN HATE ALL THAT HE STANDS FOR

but he had the balls to Start a trend that involves
having to Suck
To be Awesome??

and Loving shotguns
Page 1 of 3