Hi, I'm looking for a good hendrixey and just a general good classic rock tone amp. I want it to be loud enough for gigs and not sound like crap when its played that loud. Hopefully for around $500 or $600. All Tube would be prefered for the good tone. Can you guys help me out?
A peavey valveking half stack is 900 dollars, so I'd say save up a lot.
I don't even shred
man, you gotta save like 300 more and get a marshall. NO mg either.. maybe a jcm 800 or something.. thats gonna get you the closest possibly for the price. plus you could switch out the tubes to kt88s and change the speakers eventually.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Used Traynor YCV40 or Peavey Clasic 30. Perfect for you.

traynor ftw for some vintage tones and blues
as mentioned before, a Traynor would suit you very well. i hear they sound very marshally and vintage (= hendrix and classic rock). the YCV20 and 40 are worth a look.

another option would be the peavey windsor. they sound quite marshally and like a JCM800 from what i hear. that would most likely get you in the hendrix ballpark and certainly in the classic rock area. but they have virtually no cleans at all...

good luck bro
Quote by The red Strat.
as mentioned before, a Traynor would suit you very well. i hear they sound very marshally and vintage (= hendrix and classic rock). the YCV20 and 40 are worth a look.

another option would be the peavey windsor. they sound quite marshally and like a JCM800 from what i hear. that would most likely get you in the hendrix ballpark and certainly in the classic rock area. but they have virtually no cleans at all...

good luck bro

+1 yo!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Not a big Hendrix fan but, live he used Marshalls. I think I've read somewhere that on some recordings he used Fenders too?

If that is true than get either a Marshall JCM 800, or earlier model, or a Fender tube amp.
Then get a decent fuzz pedal, wah, and an octave.
Quote by The red Strat.
a fender won't get the guy anywhere near Hendrix's tone ^

Neither will a JCM800, Jimi Hendrix played old marshalls with tube overdrive, not modern diode crap.

TS might be best off with some sort of fender amp, a strat, and a real nice fuzz pedal.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by The Real Ming
Go and play a Twin with a fuzz and come back.
Hendrix used a Twin in '65 through '66.

sorry, i meant no fender within his budget
Quote by hamish5178
Neither will a JCM800, Jimi Hendrix played old marshalls with tube overdrive, not modern diode crap.

TS might be best off with some sort of fender amp, a strat, and a real nice fuzz pedal.

so what, most fenders (if not all) within his budget are SS rectified.
Quote by The red Strat.
so what, most fenders (if not all) within his budget are SS rectified.

Most marshalls have SS rectifiers, SS rectifiers are not bad, just different from tube (what I prefer). Fender makes plenty of amps under 600, especially used.

I'm talking about the SS CLIPPING DIODES, that create digital distortion.

Whatever
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178

You are highly mis-informed.
Go read up on Marshall's JCM 800's, not all 800's have diode clipping.
Here, I'll help you out for starters.
http://www.thinlizzy.de/Guitar/earlymarshalls.html
Quote by hamish5178
Most marshalls have SS rectifiers, SS rectifiers are not bad, just different from tube (what I prefer). Fender makes plenty of amps under 600, especially used.

I'm talking about the SS CLIPPING DIODES, that create digital distortion.

Whatever

i thought you were talking about the rectifiers, my bad.
yes they do, but fery few under 600 (possibly none) have tube rectifiers, which was what i was trying to say.

since when doen the windsor use clipping diodes ?
Quote by The red Strat.
i thought you were talking about the rectifiers, my bad.
yes they do, but fery few under 600 (possibly none) have tube rectifiers, which was what i was trying to say.

since when doen the windsor use clipping diodes ?

whats wrong with a SS Rectifier? just a different sound is all.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
whats wrong with a SS Rectifier? just a different sound is all.

nothing, absolutely nothing. i didn't say it was bad anyway. but i do prefer a tube rectifier.
The Marshall plexi was based off the Bassmans circuit
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Johnonon
The Marshall plexi was based off the Bassmans circuit

indeed.

off the *original* bassmans circuit.
which isn't the '59 RI.
the closest thing to a "classic rock" amp you are gonna get is the marshall 1959 (what hendrix and led zep used) or 1987 model (and they can be named jtm , jmp or jcm800, depending on when they were made). ceriatone makes copies of them at cheaper prices. these amps are extremely loud though and its hard to get them to break up without an attenuator even at gigging volumes.

2203, 2204, 2210 and 2205 models which is what people usually refer to with the jcm800 name are more of a hard rock and heavy metal amp and are voiced somewhat differently and are not able to produce cleans too well unlike 1959 and 1987.
Traynor YCV 40 blue is the way to go
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
when you say hendrix, do you mean the kind of american rock tone that is also british you get from marshall?

I would say marshall is probably the only way to go, fenders take you too american, vox and orange take you too british

you could just get any decent valve amp and run at least 400000 effects through it.

hendrix used fenders alot, but on your budget you aren't gonna get alot, i quite like the marshall vintage modern for hendrix, why not save up?
lol@u