I have been playing bass for around 2 years now, and of late have been considering getting a 5 string.

This is where i get stuck, i have a bass in mind - Yamaha RBX375 - my 4 string is the the 4 of that, but what i don't know is what the advantages of a 5 are over a 4.

Bit of a n00b question really...

I generally play Rock / Metal

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Kenny
It has a low B string which gives you different places to play notes. and lower notes to play(without detuning)
it's nice to have, but you can definitely get by without it... if you plan on playing with a 7-sting guitar player it be very usefull
If you're playing rock and metal, you'll most likely having a place for the low B. Hitting the low D is one of my favorites, and though you can just tune to drop D for that, I think it's pretty nice to have the choice between open E and fretted D.
A lot of bands in the metal genre play with drop tunings (C drop for example) and with a 5-string, you don't have to tune down your bass. But if you play with fingers, you'll need some time to get used to it because the strings are much closer together.
Thanks for the help guys, the next part to my quest is what would people recommend to me?
I know the golden rule is to play before buying but, i would like some suggestions as to what to try. I have had a couple already

Ibanez K5 - Fieldy Sig. Bass

A higer level RBX than what i already have.

Anything else?

I am looking to spen roughly £300 - £500 on this.
Please help
Thanks in Advance
Kenny
i recently bought a new five string, a Hudson Projectbass. I only know of two places that sell these, but if you ever have the chance to try one, do it.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Not desperately but it would be good for the whole versatility factor. Since i started playing i always thought of getting a 5 string but it never happened, but now i have got a chance to do so. Surely it can't hurt?
Quote by BestBassistInMI
Are there any songs that have to be played on a 5-string?

Well, ones that require the low B (don't just say drop tune, because sometimes you need the higher notes as well).

Many that would be near impossible without the economy of motion it offers. Also, having a certain range in a single position.

Occasionally you will see pieces that require you to leave certain notes ringing out while playing other ones. For these, you may require a certain number of strings. For example, the intro to The Glass Prison by Dream Theater needs at least a 5 string in order to have the necessaery range (low B open drone notes and up the 21st fret) and a 6 string in order to allow a harmonic to ring out as another drone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
wow i ver knew that, i will have to keep that in mind

Any suggestions while you are at it?

still looking into the Ibanez K5, looks sweet.
You can always string a 5 string with a high C, rather than a low B as a heads up. If you ever decide to get into the soloing business.

Look into the...

Peavey Grind
Ibanez SRX355
Peavey Cirrus (Look into all of them this is just Bubinga)
Ibanez SRX595
Schecter Stilleto Custom

There listed in increasing order of price. IMO, I'd go for one of the Peavey Cirrus's or the Ibanez SRX595, but that's my personal preference. You may like something else. These are just good basses that I'd recommend.

Also, make sure you have a good amp first. Sorry if I sound condescending but a lot of feel the need to upgrade bass before amp.

- ATB
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
You can always string a 5 string with a high C, rather than a low B as a heads up. If you ever decide to get into the soloing business.

Look into the...

Peavey Grind
Ibanez SRX355
Peavey Cirrus (Look into all of them this is just Bubinga)
Ibanez SRX595
Schecter Stilleto Custom

There listed in increasing order of price. IMO, I'd go for one of the Peavey Cirrus's or the Ibanez SRX595, but that's my personal preference. You may like something else. These are just good basses that I'd recommend.

Also, make sure you have a good amp first. Sorry if I sound condescending but a lot of feel the need to upgrade bass before amp.
- ATB

Yeah i know what ye mean, i think my amp is fine for now, Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180w but i dunno, really, may be getting an old Trace Elliot from my mums boyfriend.
Quote by Kethnus
Yeah i know what ye mean, i think my amp is fine for now, Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180w but i dunno, really, may be getting an old Trace Elliot from my mums boyfriend.
Lulz, nevermind man your amp is fine.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
Lulz, nevermind man your amp is fine.

Cheers, bass comes first then
I agree with the Schecters. They are great basses and in my opinion, they are the best bang for your buck in your price range.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Pros: economy of movement, more notes, don't need to down tune.

Cons: slightly more expensive strings, tad bit heavier.
Go for it.

EDIT: The string spacing is usually smaller.
Quote by terb
con: a thicker neck.

I knida want a 5 because of the pros listed, and the extra cost of strings isnt to much of a bother, but I don't like the thick neck. I guess i need to buckle down and get used to it.

I prefer a thicker neck. That's more of an opinion than a con. One thing I like about the 5 string is that you don't have to down tune, fopr examples: I can play Queens of the Stone Age in standard tuning. Tt's great.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Possible con; You might find that you need to use a heavier gauge string for the low B, which can be hard to find, just to get an acceptable tension. I also find that my choice of string types is limited by this, as well. Of course, whether this is a bad thing or not is up to you.

Pro: Makes esoteric keys like Eb easier to play in and more versatile. I like not having to get up into the guitarist's range whenever I want to resolve to the tonic. Bloody saxophonists...
How may The National D help you waste your time?