I have a floyd rose on my guitar, and I'm planning on lower my tuning to C (not drop C, actually all the strings down two steps) and I have three springs, and Dave Mustaine signature GHS 10 gauge strings, what do I need to drop my tuning without messing up the rose or is there anything that would help?

EDIT: i bassically want to know if i need another (fourth string)
Last edited by Buffalo Phil at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by Buffalo Phil
I have a floyd rose on my guitar, and I'm planning on lower my tuning to C (not drop C, actually all the strings down two steps) and I have three springs, and Dave Mustaine signature GHS 10 gauge strings, what do I need to drop my tuning without messing up the rose or is there anything that would help?

First of all, you need to think about the strings.

10's wil be playable but pretty slack two steps down, so you may want to go up a notch in gauge if you prefer tighter strings.

If you have that sorted, install the strings and remove the back plate of the tremolo.

Tune the strings and stretch them in. Make sure they are properly in tune and then check the trem.

Depending on what gauge strings you went for, your trem will be off balance, most likely having gone into the cavity a little.

Right, now you should have a guitar, properly tuned to C, with the backplate off and an unbalanced trem.

If this is the case, start adjusting the springs by turning the two large screws holding the metal plate to which the springs are attached.

If your bridge is lower than it should be, loosen the springs. If it needs major adjustment, remove one of the springs (preferably the middle one). It's important that the guitar is in tune before doing anything, otherwise you'll have to adjust it again later on.

After adjusting the screws or amount of springs, it's important to retune to check your progress.

After a few cycles of adjusting and tuning you should be all set.

This isn't a hard process and it's easy to understand how it works; it's just really boring and it takes a while. Be patient and you should be fine.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 23, 2008,
Adjusting the string tension is the best thing you can do I think. With that low of a tuning, its best if you have a neck length of 25". Or idealy a baritone style neck of 27". Theres not much else you can do to my knowledge anyway.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Adjusting the string tension is the best thing you can do I think. With that low of a tuning, its best if you have a neck length of 25". Or idealy a baritone style neck of 27". Theres not much else you can do to my knowledge anyway.

Having a high scale length certainly helps the string tension, although my 25.5" Strat is currently tuned to B standard.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!