Alright, guys and gals. I used the search function here on UG, did some research on the web and even tried it out at the Guitar Center by me and have decided to get a Sonic Stomp by BBE. My amp (as told by my sig) is the Mesa F-50. I love my amp, but I want a little more out of it along with a tighter low end for the Tool-esque riffs my band usually plays.

So now that I am 98% sure I am going to be sticking with the Sonic Stomp, I just want some feedback from those of you who own the Stomp and even those of you who have played it just to reinforce my reasoning that it will help me tighten up. And I am not looking into a OD because I have all the gain I'm gonna need with the F-50 and i don't want to add anymore gain to the clean channel because it is honestly one of the best I have heard.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I haven't used a Sonic Stomp, but I believe you could look into an EQ pedal too. If the Sonic Stomp works for you - get it, but just trying to maybe add options here.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Nah man, I understand. It is just that I am soooo close to getting my tone that I don't want t have to worry about another 6 or so bands of EQ to have to mess with. I appreciate the input though and I just knew someone was going to recommend an EQ
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I think that sonic stomp looks really sweet.
It seems to do things that an EQ can't, and you put it in your effects loop.
Try it out, and report back.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Does it really do things an EQ can't?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
It like sorts out the frequencies (bass, mid, treb) to make it sound more uniform.
I think people misconstrue the sonic stomp to be a 2 band EQ. I actually played one, and it's real nice. really clears up your sound if it's muffled, the opposite if it's too thin.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by aznrockerdude
Does it really do things an EQ can't?

I believe it's pretty much a different thing.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
yea, like I said before I tried it out on a twin reverb in GC and it even made that sound more full and clear. I didnt think it was possible.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Sonic-Stomp-Pedal?sku=157030

there is a full description on what it is. i dont feel like describing it myself lol
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Had one for about a month didn't like the way it changed the character of the amp and the pick sensitivity went out the door.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
by pick sensitivity do you mean attack? like a conpressor does? because at times I fingerpick and because I use the pads of my fingers instead of the nails, there is a slight volume difference. so if it works kinda like a compressor, that would sort of be awesome too...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I mean the touch of the guitar went away. I truly think there are other options to tighten up your sound Barber makes an eq that really is nice.Three different voicings. Thats what I use. Look at my sig that will tell you what I use. I like pedals that let your amp shine thru a transparency I guess.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Hmm, well I still think that I am going to go with the Stomp. I checked out that Barber EQ. Looks nice, though its not quite what I am looking for.

But if there is anyone else who has any input on this badboy, speak up.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
There's a few scarce soundclips on the internet.
Really made the tone of this one kid's JCM sound tons better. Like, studio quality to what it sounds with it off.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The main message I get from reviews of Sonic Stomps is that once people have them, they don't turn them off because they improve their tone so much!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
^Yeah. Basically that.
Same with EQ's.
But, an EQ and Sonic Stomp combo would probably be cool (EQ in the signal path, and the SS in the effects loop).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well I am about to get one soon so hopefully the do help as much as they are supposed to. If I dont have an effects loop do you think it would still work alright from guitar -> sonic stomp -> amp?
I think i remember there being a really useful review on the UG Reviews section about the Sonic Stomp that explained it. Look there maybe.
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I have one. I like the way it clears up and smooths out my amp. I wouldn't say it tightens up the amp, but it's great for what it does.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

hmmm...good input guys.

and yea, there aren't many clips on the internet either...very few.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I think the sonic maximizer sounds horrible and fake sounding on guitars (it's good for some other studio stuff tough) a good compressor would be better.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^What amp were you using? I don't think a sonic stomp could save a cheapo amp.
On the HC forums, I saw this one kid plug one into the effects loop of his JCM900. It went from flabby to fabulous in a stomp.
I really want one.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Mar 23, 2008,
I know, every time i read a review I just want it more. I also convinced my other guitarist to check it out. Looks like both of us are probably going to be getting one lol. And hopefully we will be recording soon, if we do I will try and get comparitive sound clips up. But who knows when that will be, practices are so far and few between. Stupid college education...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by darkarbiter7
^What amp were you using? I don't think a sonic stomp could save a cheapo amp.
On the HC forums, I saw this one kid plug one into the effects loop of his JCM900. It went from flabby to fabulous in a stomp.
I really want one.

I've used it with a marshall JCM 800 and a my vintage Aims tube head. I just thought it had this sort of weird unnatural vibe to it.

Last.fm
well you know what they say, tone IS subjective....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
yeah I know, just putting out an alternate perspective to the ridiculous amounts of praise these things get.

Last.fm
Nah man, I understand that. I hate it when things are over hyped and then are a total let down. Luckily, to me, this isn't a let down. Though I do believe that maybe another hour to half hour toying around on the Stomp couldn't hurt.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I own the rackmount version (I use it for mastering) so I have spent a good deal of time with it, I just don't like the way it sounds with guitars.

Last.fm
I'll go to guitar center sometime (I won't actually buy anything), and i'll do my own tone freak review of it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I was considering doing a review myself for UG since there is only one, and it is not so detailed. I mean, with a simple pedal like this, you can't write much. But...more info never hurt anyone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I dunno, maybe its just me, but I took my guitar in GC, hooked it up to the same amp as mine (Vox Valvetronix AD30VT) and tried the Sonic Stomp.
I wasn't impressed. Didn't seem to do much. But I usually don't turn things up to loud in any guitar store.
Does it need a substantial level of volume before it kicks in?
Maybe the battery was low on power?
It can't be the amp, because several people on the valvetronix web site give the Sonic Stomp high praise as well.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 23, 2008,
Hmm...no idea Monk.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I know it might be a little late, but I bought a sonic stomp about a month ago and was blown away! It was almost like taking a blanket off of my amp. I always have it on, no matter which amp I go to or which guitar I'm playing!! You can select the amount of bottom end, which gives you that tight low end ... and you can select how much of the high frequency you want as well, which gives you that crystal clear tone. It's amazing; and I would definitely recommend it to any guitar player, old or new!!

Also, BBE throws in a power supply with all their pedals because they are sweet like that ... which is always a plus!!
Quote by CodeMonk
I dunno, maybe its just me, but I took my guitar in GC, hooked it up to the same amp as mine (Vox Valvetronix AD30VT) and tried the Sonic Stomp.
I wasn't impressed. Didn't seem to do much. But I usually don't turn things up to loud in any guitar store.
Does it need a substantial level of volume before it kicks in?
Maybe the battery was low on power?
It can't be the amp, because several people on the valvetronix web site give the Sonic Stomp high praise as well.
Maybe its because the pedal just doesn't go too well with the digital modelling? That is a problem with Valvetronix sometimes
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit