well, seeing as promotion at job means more money to spend, i'm starting to plan out my gear purchases for this year.

at the moment i'm playing an Ibanez hollowbody throught a Deluxe Reverb RI with a Small Clone and Microvibe in between.

first off, coming to the realization that my amp isnt cutting it in a band setting, i've come to the conclusion that i'm going to sell or trade + cash for a Super Reverb. I absolutely adore my amps clean tone, but cranked up barely gets over the drummer. Or maybe even a Silverface Twin Reverb? they come pretty cheap and as long as i can dial it in quiet enough for home, thats definitely an option. I've also toyed around with the idea of a Bassman LTD and Vox AC30, but i'm pretty much sold on Blackface style amps.

i'm also thinking about getting some kind of Marshall/Marshall clone to A/B with the Fender, i'm thinking a Ceriatone or Weber JTM45, or something smaller such as a Tiny Terror (mucho interest after hearing about a certain Tiny Terror combo revealed)

as of now, my guitar situation is sent, i'm buying a '92 Strat Plus for a great deal of 350 bucks (kid doesnt really know what he's got). I've noticed though the sound is rather dull, i'm not sure if thats the pickups (as far as i know, Gold Lace Sensor's) i'm also considering upgrading to something like Kinmans. The strat is a beautiful though, i love it. (Twevo, if you see this, check your goddamn PM's ).

as for my next topic, effects. I'm selling my Small Clone (PM me if interested ). I'm most likely going to keep my Microvibe. But what i'm really talking about is overdrives, i havent been playing any kind of drive due to the fact that my DRRI takes pedals about as well as a pregnant women given bad news. At the moment i'm looking for a low-medium gain, and higher gain OD, a clean boost as well as a fuzz

At the moment, heres what i'm thinking:

clean boost - Fulltone FatBoost 2, Keeley Katana
low-medium - Lovekraft Mojodrive, Xotic BB Preamp, or Barber Silver LTD
higher gain - Box Of Rocks, Jetter Gain Stage Blue
fuzz - maybe something like a Sweet Sound Filmore West

Also, i'm looking for a delay, maybe something like a Memory Man w/ Hazarai?. Also maybe a wah, i just sold off a Fulltone modded V847 because i didnt use it much, but maybe it'll go to better use with a complete rig. How about something like the Budda Budwah?

last but not least, the sounds i'm going for: Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, Hendrix (Band of Gypsy's), Stevie Ray Vaughan (thats a huge influence on my tone, one of the most important i'm looking for, however i realize how difficult it is to replicate), John Mayer and Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

I am NOT looking to replicate anyones tone, but due to the fact that i will be playing shows, involving quite a few covers, i am looking to get somewhat close.

so basically, what OD, Delay, Wah should i get? Is the Super Reverb the best option for me? what pickups should i get for my strat?

i have no budget, but keep in mind i will NOT spend too much on any piece of gear ( i realize a given budget is subjective, but use common sense )

thanks so much guys, its nice hearing opinions from you guys.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
The Super Reverb is probably a great choice for you. But considering the fact that you're considering a/b'ing it with a Marshall Plexi-type amp, maybe you ought to consider the Bassman. It is, after all, pretty much the same circuit as the Plexi. Just a thought, but if you love the DRRI -everything but the volume- the Super's the way to go.

I disagree with about the DRRI and pedals. I love it with my SunLion, and my TS808. The upscale pedals you're looking at would be dreamy with your current amp. Look into an Analogman King Of Tone for an OD, and a Sunface for fuzz.

I'm not familiar with the Hazarai MM, but I'd think an analog guy like yourself would be more inclined towards the Deluxe Memory Man.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Super Reverb is probably a great choice for you. But considering the fact that you're considering a/b'ing it with a Marshall Plexi-type amp, maybe you ought to consider the Bassman. It is, after all, pretty much the same circuit as the Plexi. Just a thought, but if you love the DRRI -everything but the volume- the Super's the way to go.

I disagree with about the DRRI and pedals. I love it with my SunLion, and my TS808. The upscale pedals you're looking at would be dreamy with your current amp. Look into an Analogman King Of Tone for an OD, and a Sunface for fuzz.

I'm not familiar with the Hazarai MM, but I'd think an analog guy like yourself would be more inclined towards the Deluxe Memory Man.

The idea of a Bassman/Bassman type amp is sounding good. I'm just really a fan of the DRRI cleans. I came really close to trading my DRRi for a Bassman LTD but the guy backed out, and then i started to realize how great the cleans were.

Maybe i'm just bad at EQ'ing, but i've had horrible luck with getting a good sound out of an OD pedal and the DRRI, everything i try is way to harsh and shrill. I've been through:

TS808
Fulldrive II
Barber Silver modded LTD (liked this one the best, but still had a bit too much high end for me).

and i absolutely agree with you on the DMM, the Hazarai looked really interested to me, which is why i threw it out. The delay isnt a top priority to me, so i may just get for something a bit cheaper ala the new Dunlop/MXR Carbon Copy.

i really appreciate your insight Slats, i'm defintetly considering the idea of a Bassman. Hell, if i did decide to go all out i'd go for a Victoria

and slats, what do you think about the Silverface Twin idea? too loud? i'm assuming the Silverface would be much better quality than a SRRI, but the volume aspect turns me off to the idea.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
You wanna get mr_hankey's take on those silverface Twin's. I'm of the opinion that they're rather hit and miss. The early ones will be truer to the blackface specs. Those would be the ones you'd want. That's an amp that Fender really screwed around with over the years, increasing it's wattage, etc. I know the ones with the master volume are almost universally hated by Fender aficionados. I think that's an amp where you want to know the serial number before you buy so you can look up the exact date of birth.

But once you find a good one, the difference between an 85W and a 45W isn't going to kill you. And if clean headroom is what you're after, the Twin will provide it.

I also think Fender's doing a solid job with these latest reissues. The silverface will be handwired, which is certainly a plus - especially if you plan to do any work on it yourself. But otherwise, I think the Super Reverb RI will be very good quality. You could also look for a silverface version of one of those as well. Maybe seek out a Bandmaster or Tremolux while you're at it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You wanna get mr_hankey's take on those silverface Twin's. I'm of the opinion that they're rather hit and miss. The early ones will be truer to the blackface specs. Those would be the ones you'd want. That's an amp that Fender really screwed around with over the years, increasing it's wattage, etc. I know the ones with the master volume are almost universally hated by Fender aficionados. I think that's an amp where you want to know the serial number before you buy so you can look up the exact date of birth.

But once you find a good one, the difference between an 85W and a 45W isn't going to kill you. And if clean headroom is what you're after, the Twin will provide it.

I also think Fender's doing a solid job with these latest reissues. The silverface will be handwired, which is certainly a plus - especially if you plan to do any work on it yourself. But otherwise, I think the Super Reverb RI will be very good quality. You could also look for a silverface version of one of those as well. Maybe seek out a Bandmaster or Tremolux while you're at it.

I've looked at some silverface Super Reverbs, and the prices are a bit to steep for me to justify having one. I have actually looked at a Bandmaster Reverb before, how do they compare to the the standard reverb series (Deluxe-Super-Twin)?

I'll defintetly check out the Tremolux, i believe i may have looked at one before, but i dont remember it much.

At the moment i'm leaning towards the Super Reverb, the 4x10's really sound great as compared to a 2x12, and Super Reverbs are just badass
I think the Super Reverb is a great amp. If I was looking for a gigging Fender, it's the amp I'd go with over the Bassman and the Twin. It's that classic Fender sound, with awesome effects, at a reasonable (crankable) wattage. I love my AC30, but I'd put the Super up against it any day.

The Bandmaster -I think- is more of that "typical Fender sound," more like the Reverb series than the Bassman. The great thing about them is that they're generally pretty reasonably priced (often around $400 or so for the head) for a hand-wired, beautiful clean amp. For some reason it hasn't caught on like some of the others. The small Fenders fetch the most money, it seems. The Bandmaster and Tremolux just kinda fell thru the cracks.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Can't help you much on the amp of guitar, as fenders really aren't my thing, but I can definitely help you out on the pedal front.

For wah, I can't recommend the Budda highly enough. I went through every wah you can think of....every dunlop, every morley, vox, ibanez, Fulltone...the Buddha was by far the smoothest, most vocal, and most versatile. It is just a beautiful wah sound. I always hated wah, as the moment I turned it on, it would make my tone overly piercing...a bunch of treble. The budda simply adds to the top, rather than change it to garbage, like all the dunlops and morleys (and the Ibanez ) I played.

As for delay, IMO, the Deluxe Memory Man has yet to be topped. I sold it, thinking I would be ok with Digital Delay for versatility, and then bought my DMM back a week later. Digital delay is laughable after you own this pedal. Not to mention it is probably the best of the analog lot aswell. Just an outstanding pedal.

As for overdrive, I have an Analogman Silver Mod TS-9 coming my way, and I have heard great things. I've always had great results with my stock TS-9 too though So I really don't know how to help. There are SO many choices for overdrive out there now adays. Fulltone OCD is a popular choice, but I never really liked it. From what I recall, it was a mellower drive, with a retained high end, so if you thought the other pedals were to piercing, this might be your ticket. I like my drive to sparkle a little more.

Hope that helps a bit!
thanks to both of you guys!

i hate making a planned setup, as i'm always changing my mind, but at the moment i'm really liking the idea of

strat plus > Microvibe > Jetter Gain Stage Blue > Lovepedal Super Six > Carbon Copy > Budwah > Super Reverb

the Super Six sounds AWESOME, definitely what i want in my tone. One thing though is that its made to sound like a cranked Super Reverb, seeing as i wont be able to crank the SR at my house, it may be good to compensate with (i do recall someone on a different site saying they sold it because it sounded too much like a Super Reverb). But even if i could use it as a boost, which from what i've heard it excels at.

i'm really appreciating the help, especially you Slats. I'm most certainly leaning towards the Super Reverb.
you should look at the lovepedal 200lbs of tone. its only like $159 and sounds awesome.
Quote by s.r.v.
you should look at the lovepedal 200lbs of tone. its only like $159 and sounds awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion, i actually have tried a 200lbs, and even though it sounded GREAT, if i were to go the higher gain route the Jetter sounds more to my liking.
Twin Reverbs- '77 and onwards are pretty bad. 135w, ultralinear OTs and lots of 'great improvements' for more headroom. I'd look at any Twin older than that though.

Super Six Reverb (if that's what you mean?)- A Twin in a 6x10 combo. Good luck moving it. Pre-'77 goes for this on as well.Worth considering, though; if you can find it cheaply. I'd put it in a head cab. There's also the Quad Reverb, which is also a Twin, but 4x12.

Bandmaster- Bassman with less low end and a bit less headroom. I was pretty close to buying one a while ago. The Tremolux is very similar.

Bandmaster Reverb- Classic blackface tone. Volume-wise, it sits between the Deluxe Reverb and the Super Reverb.

What did I forget?
Quote by mr_hankey
Twin Reverbs- '77 and onwards are pretty bad. 135w, ultralinear OTs and lots of 'great improvements' for more headroom. I'd look at any Twin older than that though.

Super Six Reverb (if that's what you mean?)- A Twin in a 6x10 combo. Good luck moving it. Pre-'77 goes for this on as well.Worth considering, though; if you can find it cheaply. I'd put it in a head cab. There's also the Quad Reverb, which is also a Twin, but 4x12.

Bandmaster- Bassman with less low end and a bit less headroom. I was pretty close to buying one a while ago. The Tremolux is very similar.

Bandmaster Reverb- Classic blackface tone. Volume-wise, it sits between the Deluxe Reverb and the Super Reverb.

What did I forget?

thanks for the help Hankey!

i actually meant the Lovepedal Super Six pedal though. the amp i'm speaking about is the standard 4x10 Super Reverb.

the Lovepedal is supposed to recreate a Super Reverb on the Super Six settings (vol. 6, treb. 6, mids. 3 and bass 2 (6, 6, 3x2=6) and the pedal sounds GREAT in the clips Ive heard
still looking for a few opinions - thanks a lot for the help so far.
I've already opined, but I'll bump for you.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I reread the thread, more thorougly this time; and the Super Reverb does sound like a great idea. I'd definitely look for some silverfaces before buying the reissue, though. Like all silverfaces, avoid the higher-wattage ones (70w for the SR).

Looking at that list of sounds you like, it's really only BF Fender(-based) with a bit of Marshall. That was basically what I going for as well, when I was looking for an amp. I looked at old Fenders, and happened to find the Bassman. There's really not all that much difference between Fender models (from the same era; besides wattage, obviously), so I'd suggest buying whatever you can find at a reasonable price.
I used to have an early (70 I think) Dual Showman Reverb that I modded to Blackface specs. It sounded absolutely awesome, especially when cranked, but a 100w tube head is RIDICULOUSLY loud. It was just way too much amp for me, so I sold it. I do kind of regret it, though. The Blues Deluxe I have now just makes way more sense for me to own.

I have several of the pedals you mentioned as well. I know you said you didn't like the Fulldrive2 much, but I am a big fan of it. I also recently added the Stereo Memory Man and the Big Muff Pi. I like both of them a lot. The main reason I wanted the SMM over other delay pedals was because it can loop 30 seconds.
Epi Les Paul Standard with BB Pros
Vox 847A Wah->Fulltone Fulldrive 2->EHX Big Muff Pi->DD-3->EHX SMMwH->Fender Blues Deluxe
hey, i forgot about this thread. I appreciate the insight guys.

As far as amps go, i've recently really started to dig the sound of a JTM45. I realize i'm not getting Fender cleans out of one but i feel that i could live without them as the JTM45's cleans are great too. If i end up missing it too much i'll just swing for a Pro Junior for bedroom practice or something.

Which bring me to my next point, i'm looking for the best options on getting one under rougly 900 bucks. I'm not sure if its possible (not with the cab at least). The Ceriatone is 805 with the head cab but its 200 bucks to ship which is a bit out of the question seeing as i need a cab also.

I'm not certain on the 45, but its appealing to me a lot more. I realized that even though i love the DRRI cleans, i've been trying to get Hendrix tones out of a 22w Fender, i'm beter off actually getting a Marshall clone.

and it shouldnt be too hard to cop a decent SRV tone out of it, right? i might end up with a Barb EQ pedal as well, so i can see how proficient that it is replicating the "Blackface sound"
Quote by igotabcrich32
I realize i'm not getting Fender cleans out of one but i feel that i could live without them as the JTM45's cleans are great too. If i end up missing it too much i'll just swing for a Pro Junior for bedroom practice or something.

You could always split the difference and go for a Bassman.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You could always split the difference and go for a Bassman.

Thats probably my best bet. The next question is, Blackface head + (2X12? 4X10?) cab or the RI 410 combo. neither is more practical than the other for my uses. Is there any major difference in tone?
Vintage > Re-issue

Of course, it depends on the condition and cost of the vintage item, but that's the way I'd lean. Not that there's anything wrong with the new ones, but vintage is vintage, and hand-wired is nice.

As for the cab, the Bassman paired up with every size speaker at one time or another, so it all comes down to taste. If you want a more Marshally tone, you might want to pair it up with a 2x12 with Greenbacks or something similar.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I just skimmed through that but I think I understand what your going for, I'd go with the Vox AC30 with a Divided by 13 Joyride Distortion Pedal, Boss DD-5 or 6 delay and some kind of Tubescreamer as an extra boost.
Quote by igotabcrich32
Thats probably my best bet. The next question is, Blackface head + (2X12? 4X10?) cab or the RI 410 combo. neither is more practical than the other for my uses. Is there any major difference in tone?

The 59RI in that case. None of the heads sound much like a Marshall; especially the blackfaces/silverfaces. The blondes are probably the closest, but they're still unmistakably Fenders. With some british speakers, you can do a decent impression, but that's about it.

A 59RI with a extension cab loaded with greenbacks would give you Fender and Marshall sounds.
Quote by mr_hankey
The 59RI in that case. None of the heads sound much like a Marshall; especially the blackfaces/silverfaces. The blondes are probably the closest, but they're still unmistakably Fenders. With some british speakers, you can do a decent impression, but that's about it.

A 59RI with a extension cab loaded with greenbacks would give you Fender and Marshall sounds.

I found a pretty good deal on a '65 head. How close would i get with say the head with two 2x12 cabs, one with speakers more aimed towards Fender tones and one with Greenbacks?
just an update:

At the moment i'm looking at trading my DRRI and 400 bucks for a Metroamp JTM45 in custom wood headcab. i'm putting this as a really good value seeing as the guy was selling it for 1400. He has an Avatar Greenback loaded 2x12 he'd throw in for another 275 but i dont know if i would have enough cash by next week.

this thing is gorgeous!

Ha! I'll do that deal. What's his number? Bet that head would sound awesome with my Tone Tubby cab.

Looks really hot, though, and that is a great deal. Good luck!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Ha! I'll do that deal. What's his number? Bet that head would sound awesome with my Tone Tubby cab.

Looks really hot, though, and that is a great deal. Good luck!

yeah, so send me your Tone Tubby cab and we'll talk.
Quote by igotabcrich32
just an update:

At the moment i'm looking at trading my DRRI and 400 bucks for a Metroamp JTM45 in custom wood headcab. i'm putting this as a really good value seeing as the guy was selling it for 1400. He has an Avatar Greenback loaded 2x12 he'd throw in for another 275 but i dont know if i would have enough cash by next week.

this thing is gorgeous!

Dude, that thing looks amazing.

I don't own the Budwah, but I've played it a few times, and it sounds very nice. I plan to buy it as soon as I am able to. I just haven't had a need to because I'm not in a full time band at the moment. (well, jazz band, but I don't get too many chances to use a wah there.)
that head is sexy wowie
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
its a beautiful amp. The deals almost certain as long as no objections come from my family.

also, as far as a cab goes, at the moment i have band practice every monday and would only have the one amp. I need something rather portable, drummers car isnt very big.

Is there anything close to a Greenback as far as tone but higher wattage? i might just go for an Avatar 1x12 (i'd rather just shoot for a 2x12, but it wont fit in my drummers car with my guitar and a bass, when i get more money i plan on getting another cab to leave there).
just gonna bump it up
Quote by igotabcrich32
Is there anything close to a Greenback as far as tone but higher wattage? i might just go for an Avatar 1x12 (i'd rather just shoot for a 2x12, but it wont fit in my drummers car with my guitar and a bass, when i get more money i plan on getting another cab to leave there).

The Celestion G12-75 is described on Celestion's website as, "seen by many as the ultimate incarnation of the original Celestion G12M model – a Greenback on steroids in the quest for higher power."

Rated at 75W, it would probably be ideal for you in a 1x12. Avatar offers it as one of their choices, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Celestion G12-75 is described on Celestion's website as, "seen by many as the ultimate incarnation of the original Celestion G12M model – a Greenback on steroids in the quest for higher power."

Rated at 75W, it would probably be ideal for you in a 1x12. Avatar offers it as one of their choices, too.

oh great! i didnt even see that. thanks a lot Slats, looks like my setup is starting to come along.

i might even have enough cash to get the cab that the guy is selling too, i ended up taking on a bunch of hours this week at work (probably hitting 50 hours) so i'll have some extra cash to boot.

You might want to get the second cab so you only have to lug the head back & forth, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

You might want to get the second cab so you only have to lug the head back & forth, too.

yeah, thats probably going to be my plan. 1x12 for home and if i have enough i'll get the 2x12 to leave at my drummers house.

this head is so gorgeous, i'm rather excited to be getting it.