Do you guys think is cheating to alter parts of tabs? Let me give you an example.

The song I was learning today had a powerchord with it's root on the A string, but since the rest of the chords are rooted on the 6th string I changed this chord to the same one but on the sixth string. This has made the song easier for me to play, but it sorta feels like cheating.

Another example is when I changed a chord completly because the original was too hard to play. Also I thought mine sounded better with the song.

Since tabs are just guesses, I don't think we should take them as set in stone. But I do feel it would have been better practise for me to keep with the original harder versions. Even if the sound is the same
Cheating doesn't exist in music, as far as I know
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by JdGuitar
Do you guys think is cheating to alter parts of tabs? Let me give you an example.

The song I was learning today had a powerchord with it's root on the A string, but since the rest of the chords are rooted on the 6th string I changed this chord to the same one but on the sixth string. This has made the song easier for me to play, but it sorta feels like cheating.

Another example is when I changed a chord completly because the original was too hard to play. Also I thought mine sounded better with the song.

Since tabs are just guesses, I don't think we should take them as set in stone. But I do feel it would have been better practise for me to keep with the original harder versions. Even if the sound is the same

NO!
In No way is it cheating. When I use tabs, I use them as a base or a guide line. And if I think something sounds better another way, I will just change it.
Noooo.... In my opinion, altering a tab (but not going overboard) gives the song your own unique style or pizazz to it. Im just weird like that though. Of course you cant take the sweet child o mine solo, cut out 12 notes and replace it with the crazy train intro... thats what I mean by overboard.
If all these tabs were meant to be played as is, and only that, we would have a lot of bad guitar players around.

Tabs are just guidelines, no matter how accurate they are. Music isn't about playing exactly like one another, but adding your own spin on things. Each person has their own style, you're right to just use the tabs as a starting point and build on them from there.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Quote by Kanthras
Cheating doesn't exist in music, as far as I know

Unless your Herman Li in the studio
I know, I just feel like by making the song easier I've learned less through it.
Do whatever you want, man. It's not wrong to learn a song differently.
Tab is just a guess and sometimes things work better for you a different way. A song I'm learning has a whole note bend on the 9th fret of the G string and then a note on the 7th fret of the high E string, my hand always mutes the E so I play that note on the 11 fret of the B string. Much more convenient for me and it sounds the same, sometimes little changes like this are acceptable to fit your needs.
I think it's actually better musical practice to change the song up a bit. I do it all the time, like in a certain song, there's a 3-note-per-string sweeping pattern, but I changed it to 2-notes because it's easier. And Eddie Van Halen learned a lot of the Cream guitar solos, but changed them to his liking, and look what happened to him. It's not like changing a chord here or there will ruin the song, and it adds your own style and touches to the music instead of playing exactly like the recording. It adds to your understanding of the music, and a lot of musicians change things to make them easier or better. Just don't change it too much...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
The rule about cheating in music dissappeared when the electric guitar appeared. Since there were no set rules for it unlike all the other instruments.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by JdGuitar
I know, I just feel like by making the song easier I've learned less through it.

You may not of learned the whole song exactly note for note but you learned how to alter the tab to give it your own personal preference.
not at all
i do it all the time eg. a note is correct but the position its been tabbed on the guitar makes the song very difficult, i change where it is
Quote by Megadeth77
In No way is it cheating. When I use tabs, I use them as a base or a guide line. And if I think something sounds better another way, I will just change it.

Same.
I guess in no way is it cheating, but I've done similar things..like for example:
I changed a 6 string sweep to a 5 string sweep, by doing a hammer on, on the A string, which felt like cheating I guess..but then again I guess its not cheating, besides I still gotta learn 6 string sweeps.
Quote by JdGuitar

some peoples bad habits will come through in their tabs, by doing what you did you'll make yourself a more economical player.
Tabs are usually right but not always. I change them too so they sound correct to me. I think you are learning more by changing how you play the notes. Changing a chord to a different string doesn't make it wrong, just YOUR way of playing the same notes. Sometimes I will add a note to a power chord to make it more powerful or just more "full".
Quote by Caseyizzle
CHEATER, whAt Are yOU gonna do nEXT change a D chord TO A D7 ?

I doubt it.
If you read the post he didnt do anything dramatic.

(Was I supposed to detect sarcasim out of that? )
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
I doubt it.
If you read the post he didnt do anything dramatic.

(Was I supposed to detect sarcasim out of that? )

yes i was being sarcastic )
Quote by Caseyizzle
yes i was being sarcastic )

Then because of my stupidy...
I give you permission to make my face look like this:
<-----
Think of it this way: When guitarists perform live, lots of the time they change their riffs/solos up a bit. So would that make THEM cheaters? No, it's music. You can do whatever the hell you want.