Hey, I just bought a Peavey JSX head and its great. The only problem is, when im playing it (through a cab, thought i should clear that up before i get slagged) when im playing it, its not very loud at all. it doesnt sound anywhere near 120 watts. anyone know how to fix this problem?
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
perhaps your tubes are f*ked?
turn up the master volume?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
ive tried cranking both the master and channel volumes, it still doesnt sound like 120 watts

and the tubes arent ****ed, me and my instructor checked
Quote by The Leader

Quote by ninemonthmedia

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
I noticed that too when i played it in the GC in MD when i use to live there and here in San Diego. I dont know dude, i really dont. It like, gets loud enough to the point where it starts to hurt my ears, but not enough to play that i want to to turn it back down. I thought it was just a problem with the JSX. I have no idea......try to the Satch forums; those guys know the JSX better than he does!
Check the tubes again. Is there a half power switch or anything on the amp?

Other than that, it sounds like a dying OT.
your instructor can't see if they are.

just for the hell of it, check if your guitar volume is open

you might have damaged power tubes, replace them and see if that fixes you.
Apart from possibly bad tubes:

Are you sure you're using a speaker cable (as opposed to a normal guitar cable)?

Are you sure you're using the right impedance?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
my instructor is also a tube amp repairmen, so, yes he can lol

the guitar volume was cranked lol, i guess ill have to replace the tubes

and no, there is not a half power switch on the amp, at least not that i know of

where are these satch forums you speak of? lol
Quote by The Leader

Quote by ninemonthmedia

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
QUESTION!!: is the line out level on the back of the head kinda like a volume? like it controls how much volume goes to the cabinet? because it says in the owners manual
"LINE OUT LEVEL
This control sets the level of signal being sent out of the LINE OUT jack. It may be used to balance the level of slave power amp/speaker systems driven from the LINE OUT to the level of cabinets driven from the SPEAKER OUTPUTS"

sounds like it to me
Quote by The Leader

Quote by ninemonthmedia

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
Your instructor must be pyschic if he can check the tubes just by looking at them. Sounds like an impedance mismatch to me. And if he is an amp tech he should be able to answer all your questions regarding line out and slave.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
[quote="'[A"]cetate']my instructor is also a tube amp repairmen, so, yes he can lol

the guitar volume was cranked lol, i guess ill have to replace the tubes

and no, there is not a half power switch on the amp, at least not that i know of

where are these satch forums you speak of? lol
then tell him he's not a very good one, because he should know thzat you can't always spot a faulty tube with the eye.
he didnt just look at them dumbass, i took it in with me during my lesson and we opened it up
Quote by The Leader

Quote by ninemonthmedia

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
No need to be name calling and unless he put those tubes on a tube tester to see if they are truly good or bad its just a guessing game. I have had tubes that looked like they are just smoked but still checked out fine. Go figure.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
No need to be name calling and unless he put those tubes on a tube tester to see if they are truly good or bad its just a guessing game. I have had tubes that looked like they are just smoked but still checked out fine. Go figure.

+5485484
Bad output transformer maybe?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
[quote="'[A"]cetate']QUESTION!!: is the line out level on the back of the head kinda like a volume? like it controls how much volume goes to the cabinet? because it says in the owners manual
"LINE OUT LEVEL
This control sets the level of signal being sent out of the LINE OUT jack. It may be used to balance the level of slave power amp/speaker systems driven from the LINE OUT to the level of cabinets driven from the SPEAKER OUTPUTS"

sounds like it to me
I have one too. It is for plugging into a mixer. You can go from the head to the mixer without damaging it through this output. It has no effect on what the speakers get.

As for the Satch forums, they are online everywhere:

http://www.foreverjoe.com/
www.jemsite.com
http://www.satriani.com/2004/

There are many more, cruise google to find em all.

Check out "I just wanna rock" while you're on there too. Support JS!
I think those amps are biased very cold in the factory (most peaveys are) try adjusting that, it should help, unless you are talking like super low volume.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
it has an OHM controll in the back it is probabaley set to the wrong setting.... also what kind of cabinet are you playing out of?
Quote by dogismycopilot
I noticed that too when i played it in the GC in MD when i use to live there and here in San Diego. I dont know dude, i really dont. It like, gets loud enough to the point where it starts to hurt my ears, but not enough to play that i want to to turn it back down. I thought it was just a problem with the JSX. I have no idea......try to the Satch forums; those guys know the JSX better than he does!
LMAO...I'll second that.

Seriously though, how loud are you expecting 120 watts to be? Usually, if you turn the master volume to just a half and any of the channel volume to a half and you're not already deaf, there's something wrong with your amp. But you're talking about cranking it. I think you just need to fire your guitar teacher cuz' if he used to be a tech, you would've known what's wrong by now.

Like others have said, make sure you check the ohm switch. Remember, two 8 ohms speakers would need to be set to 4 ohms on the switch. Check your level knob cuz' that controls the overall volume of your cab.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
[quote="'[A"]cetate']Hey, I just bought a Peavey JSX head and its great. The only problem is, when im playing it (through a cab, thought i should clear that up before i get slagged) when im playing it, its not very loud at all. it doesnt sound anywhere near 120 watts. anyone know how to fix this problem?

Just to revive this thread for a second.

Define not very loud?

I've got a JSX combo, and I've noticed that it's not all that loud either. But what I mean is that while at practice in my own home it's deafening to turn it up more than half way, but at gigs I've got to have everything but the clean channel turned up to about 10 to actually be heard. The other guitar player has a Peavey Classic 30, and his is turned up to 5-6 at most and it's still about as loud and at times louder than my JSX at 1/4 the power.
Quote by icronic
Just to revive this thread for a second.

Define not very loud?

I've got a JSX combo, and I've noticed that it's not all that loud either. But what I mean is that while at practice in my own home it's deafening to turn it up more than half way, but at gigs I've got to have everything but the clean channel turned up to about 10 to actually be heard. The other guitar player has a Peavey Classic 30, and his is turned up to 5-6 at most and it's still about as loud and at times louder than my JSX at 1/4 the power.

What's your EQ set at?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Do you have the effects loop engaged? If so, make sure the send and return levels are set at the half-way point--I know I've lost volume by accident on my jsx head only to find out that I had the effects loop engaged and turned down (and remember that it is turned on by default when the footswitch is not plugged in).

Hope you figure it out!
This could be a long shot, but are the amp output and cab input impedances matched? If the cab is a higher ohm level than the output you will have lower volumes... On the flip side as an example, if your amp output is a higher impedence than your cab then the amp will run much hotter and louder (for a period) and possibly be damaged.

This is only one possibility, I don't know if this is your problem.

Good luck,

Greg
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
ok so im looking into getting a jsx, now im startin not to want to do it, ive always heard they were too loud wtf ??? check your cabs peavy make ****ty cabs if your using them. if you think its the cabs get a vader cab it equals awsomeness
It's never that an amp is "too loud" per se, it's that higher wattage amps will need to get loud in order to sound good.

So you get an attenuator or pull some tubes/get a smaller wattage amp.
Quote by timi_hendrix
What's your EQ set at?

Clean is B:4 M:5 T:6 Volume 4/5

Crunch is 6 5 4 Gain at 4.5 Volume 7

Ultra is 7 8 3 Gain at 4 Volume 10

Pres is at 4
Resonance at 5

The volumes on the FX loop are both in the 12:00 position, I'm running it at full power into the top input.

I did switch to 6L6 tubes, which I'm not sure I'm happy with. They do give it some really awesome bottom end that's very clear and audible in gig situations without getting the least but muddy, but the top end sounds even more compressed and thin.
Quote by greenwgreg
... On the flip side as an example, if your amp output is a higher impedence than your cab then the amp will run much hotter and louder (for a period) and possibly be damaged.

mismatching impedance in either direction with a tube amp results in less power. You are correct about the OT running hotter, but the amp will still be putting out less power, and will not be louder, even for a period.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids