I'm looking for an acoustic Bass price range about 750 Can
i looked at michael kelly on muscians friend and it looked nice, reviews were great and from what i hear its a good brand name, so a few questions the obvious being anyone own the dragonfly model? and how is the quality/ sound if you have ever played one own one or have owned one thanks
Tacoma Thunderchief or GTFO.

Thats pretty much the main opinion in this forum. thefitz says the Fender BG-32 is pretty good too. For reviews, go to harmony central. I personally have not played one.
There is also the Olympia something, it's basicly the Thunderchief with crappier woods. I think it was like 300-400 USD. I haven't played it. thefitz said it was a great ABG...at least I think he did.

:calls fitz for clarification:
Yes, the Thunderchief is a good bass from what I hear, go for that if you have the money/way to get one. If not, the Michael Kelly is fine, too. The problem with ABGs is that there is no bottom end to them and it's a rare thing to find one that sounds decent. The Michael Kelly's are, however, good for their money. They sound fine, the bass is there, somewhat, and it's pretty to boot.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Fitz doesn't have to be the only one to recommend something. Think for yourself guys.

Go to Sam Ash and try out a few. If you don't like any of them, then maybe ask one of the guys who works there.

But I honestly don't see the point in acoustic bass.
Quote by Mecler
Fitz doesn't have to be the only one to recommend something. Think for yourself guys.

Woah. I don't mean to kiss thefit's ass, but he does know the most about bass on this forum. And I value his opinion highly.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by Mecler

Go to Sam Ash and try out a few. If you don't like any of them, then maybe ask one of the guys who works there.

But I honestly don't see the point in acoustic bass.

I think ABGs are useful if you want to practice by yourself and don't want to use/don't have an amp. Some of them have very nice tones, as well, so there's that.

Dude's right, Fitz is god here.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Please folks, please, you're making the Thunderbird crowd really pissed off!

But anyway, here's my thoughts on the whole ABG thing, considering my Olympia is the only bass I have with me at the moment. I've had time to reflect and consider things.

First of all, "trying it out for yourself" without some preconceived notions. If you go in there without understanding a few fundamentals, you'll leave with an acoustic bass that'll disappoint you down the road.

First of all, I do not like Michael Kelly instruments - not just the basses. OK, they're pretty, but I've never played a Michael Kelly that justified it's price tag. Their tone simply does not deliver - they're not loud, and the E and A strings are very quiet when unplugged. Every. Single. ABG. (that isn't on my list of exceptions). Sounds. Like. A. Michael. Kelly. Even my $100 7-string fretless.

Guitars have a little more leniency with what I'm about to say, as their frequency domain is a bit more manageable. With acoustic bass, size matters - but it's not the only game in town, and this is something I recently realized. A good ABG must have enough air volume to get the notes out properly, but it needs more than a big body.

I've been complaining about the boxy sound of 95% of ABGs. I've come to realize that this has everything to do with laminated woods - laminated tops, backs, and sides. If the bass isn't at LEAST solid-top, it's going to sound boxy. Period. Warwick Alien? Boxy. My Olympia? Boxy. Is boxy a bad thing? Not always, but it's a distinct tonal character. Having a laminated board acoustic bass is the electric equivalent of a bridge humbucker on an electric, as far as sound branding goes.

I've played a Martin acoustic bass (the best acoustic guitar company ever, period), and the bass simply did not play or sound better acoustically than the aforementioned Fender BG32. Yes, the Martin has fancy solid woods, but the body is just so bloody small that the instrument simply does not project. Yes, the tone was much warmer than the Fender, but you couldn't hear the notes when playing along with ONE OTHER GUITAR. It had the woods, but not the size. And no, this wasn't the thinline Martin. It was the biggest Martin. I played a ~$500 Ibanez 5-string, and I couldn't even hear it over the din of an acoustic guitar room. Nobody was playing within 20 feet of me, and I couldn't hear the thing. No, I'm not deaf.

Now, I think, for a currently-made production acoustic bass guitar, the Fender BG32 is as good sounding as you can get, sub-Tacoma level (we'll get to that in a minute). It's not boomy. It's not warm. It's not loud. But it's not quieter, thinner, or flatter sounding than any other ABG, Michael Kelly included. The short scale helps the low end a bit (which is still nonexistant), and each string sounds consistantly loud. However, it still sounds like a downtuned acoustic guitar - which is what it is.

Now, my Olympa OB3CE is ~<$400, and it's the best acoustic on the market at the price - much better than the Fender BG32 (and it's long-scale so you can actually find strings). However, the tone is still incredibly boxy. It's sweet, but you're not fooling anybody into thinking this is anything more than what it is - a sub $850 acoustic bass guitar.

The Olympia OB3CE and the Fender BG32 are the only acoustic basses at that price bracket that I've been able to hear over an acoustic guitar, and I'm going to say with certainty that I've tried them all. Those basses even were louder than some of the more expensive basses, like Ovation or Martin.

That said - are you going to find an acoustic tone you're going to be 100% happy with? No. Not unless you buy a Tacoma (a solid-wood instrument with a huge body), or perhaps a Taylor or Ernie Ball. You're going to get sub-par tone and performance, as well as having to deal with instrument-specific eccentricities, like horrible, horrible intonation.

I'm not even going to acknowledge piezo electronics. Dang, just did.

So, in conclusion, you can take my advice, or you can think of yourself, which in a few months will mean you think "dang, Fitz was right."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..