Yeah...
No, really I don't know.
I need the answer since I've got enough for a guitar, but not for an amp and I want to see if I have to save up for one.
Well you don't NEED an amp, but yes, electric guitars are meant to be played with an amplifier of some sort. The reason why I say you don't need an amp is because many people just practice without amps for ease and being able to just pick it up and play. But the sound it makes will be very low, and just enough to hear yourself practice. You will definitely want an amp if you want to play songs for people, with bands, etc. If you're just going to do nothing but practice for now, you may be ok without an amp, although you might not like the idea of playing an electric guitar without one.
You don't need an amp to play the electric but you will want one eventually so you can hear yourself.
I'm only gonna be practicing for myself for a while, so I won't buy an amp for now.
Thanks for the quick answers.
Well, if you don't have an amp you will need to play with a lot more force than plugged. Also, some mistakes don't matter unplugged, chances are they are going to be too soft to be heard. This combined makes for a lot of mistakes to crop up when playing plugged in. If you are serious about playing or taking lessons, do yourself a favor and buy any cheap amp you can find. If you just play for fun there is no need for one at this time.
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
I'm only gonna be practicing for myself for a while, so I won't buy an amp for now.
Thanks for the quick answers.

You can always just buy a cheap practice amp (which is like a small amp that you can carry around fairly easily) for like around $50 bucks.
Might aswell get an acoustic since acoustic will sound better.
just get a piece ah **** 10 dolla amp from a pawn shop
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
If you want an electric guitar to actually sound like an electric guitar then yes, you need an amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How others said you can buy a crappy amp for little money, but if you want to have good soundquality for a low price.
You can buy a Toneport GX....

http://line6.com/toneportgx/

which you can connect to your pc and then you can play over headphones.
With this toneport you can also record your playing and you have a good sound quality and many virtual sounds.
When you later have more money or when you will play in a band you can buy an amp.

Greets 40BPM
Everything here is expensive as hell, I might try getting a cheap amp but I will need some more cash. Being in Venezuela sucks.
To the guy that said to buy an acoustic, I already have one.
Just as a question, What guitar are you getting?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Phil Pro MS-15 It's just a Strat clone but It's way cheaper than one.
Was also thinking in a Fender Squeir (sp)
Last edited by tsukoyomimoon at Mar 23, 2008,
Yeah, strats are able to be played unplugged with a half-decent amount of volume. I'd get an Affinity series squier, some of the best for the price (150 USD)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.