I decide to de-fret my old Squier bass. But I have a few questions.

1. I have all the frets off, and I was planning on filling the gaps in, then sanding the fingerboard down. I was wondering if me sanding is going to fuck up the dot inlays?

2. I figure after sanding, the fingerboard would look like crap. So I was going to make it presentable and stain it. Is this going to have a negative impact on tone?

3. I wasn't planning slapping on it, so is it worth coating the fingerboard? And what should I use if I do?
TS, it may screw with your inlays, but not hugely.

As far as coating it is concerned, it really depends on what wood you have and the strings you're planning on using.

It won't necessarily look like crap however. You don't need to stain it, depending on how easily the frets come out and what the fret gap condition is afterwards.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
TS, it may screw with your inlays, but not hugely.

As far as coating it is concerned, it really depends on what wood you have and the strings you're planning on using.

It won't necessarily look like crap however. You don't need to stain it, depending on how easily the frets come out and what the fret gap condition is afterwards.

The fingerboard is rosewood and I was prolly going use some flatwounds.

Well, for the first few frets I took off, I managed to chew the wood a little bit. But i guess it isn't too to bad.
are you not meant to sand the whole thing flat? that's what i read, somewhere...
Quote by Captain Insano
I decide to de-fret my old Squier bass. But I have a few questions.

1. I have all the frets off, and I was planning on filling the gaps in, then sanding the fingerboard down. I was wondering if me sanding is going to fuck up the dot inlays?

2. I figure after sanding, the fingerboard would look like crap. So I was going to make it presentable and stain it. Is this going to have a negative impact on tone?

3. I wasn't planning slapping on it, so is it worth coating the fingerboard? And what should I use if I do?

1. When I sanded my Ibanez, it didn't really scratch up the inlays at all.

2.My fingerboard actually looked great when I was done sanding. I started with 80-grit sandpaper and worked my up to 160, 400, then 800 (I think those numbers are right). You could stain it if you want, but I dont think there's any reason too. It shouldn't affect your tone either way.

3.You should coat the fingerboard; rosewood is pretty soft. A lot of people use epoxy, but I just used a clear polyurethane finish. I used a gloss finish, which I wouldn't recommend because it feels kinda sticky. I would give it 3 or more coats of a nice satin finish.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

If it's rose wood it'll be hard to coat. If you use flatwounds you should be fine unless you do a whole lot of bends/vibratos.

After you sand it put lemon oil on it and it'll look better than before.
i can't remember where but i saw inserts for fret to fretless guitar conversions might want to look into it
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Ok, I filled the gaps in and sanded the fingerboard down, and wiped it down with some lemon oil and it looks better than it did before.

So, I have decided to coat it. I not really sure what to coat it with though. Are there any specific benefits to using epoxy or polyurethane? Or does it not really matter?
I used poly just because I had some lying around the house and it's real easy to apply. I'm not sure of the differences between epoxy and poly when it comes to the difference in tone or quality though. If you do use poly, though, it'll take a while to finish the neck as mine soaked up the first two coats almost completely, and I waited a day inbetween each coat.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."