I finally got my new guitar a EC-500 and Im looking to thicken up my EMG's. Would a reverb help me? If I get one I'll probably go with a used Holy Grail from Ebay. See sig for gear.
try the bridge pickup with the tone turned down some first(im sure youve tried it already though).
also for a really fat sound pick up a Big Muff...though some people say that you cant palm mute well on it(i can, but its probably because of the other effects im running with)
EDIT:play it first before you buy it...
Last edited by Lamrick21 at Mar 23, 2008,
Mids fatten up the sound. If you're scooping the mids, dont. Reverb would be good for the sound, but the amps reverb (im guessing it does have it) should be good enough.
adding verylil verb or some delay will make it a lilbit thicker sounding, i personally use a bit of chorus+a small amount of verb to thicken it up a bit, the chorus can change yr sound alot but if you dial it in right it can just simply enhance yr sound like nonother.
"A Sh0t To The EaR"
Amps-Laney GH100L @50watts
Bugera 6262 @120watts
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Behringer 412H
Guitars-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85 T-O-M
Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition EMG ZW set
Pedals-MXR WyldeWah>MXR WyldeOD>MXR Chorus
Really Im pretty pleased with my tone. I had a thread last week that I made when I tried my buddies new Hellraiser and the EMG's sounded like crap thats not the case with my EC-500 the EMG's in it sound Bad-ass. Im just really looking to get a few new pedals and I noticed that alot of metal bands use Reverb. I'm still very much a Newb and thought that might give me a better metal sound for rythym work. I guess Im not making much sense.
Quote by thellamaking
Mids fatten up the sound. If you're scooping the mids, dont. Reverb would be good for the sound, but the amps reverb (im guessing it does have it) should be good enough.

I dont scoop! On my Eq I have the Bass at 4, Mids at 6 and Treb at 7. I use my tone pot to adjust to my liking.
Quote by LaneyMan
adding verylil verb or some delay will make it a lilbit thicker sounding, i personally use a bit of chorus+a small amount of verb to thicken it up a bit, the chorus can change yr sound alot but if you dial it in right it can just simply enhance yr sound like nonother.

I thought about a chorus too. Whats a good cheap chorus? The Nano Clone maybe?
depends on the type of chorus you want, i use to use a boss super chorus then upgraded to the MXR stereo one, the boss chorus esemble (not spelled right haha) can usaly be found pretty cheap and they can do alot
"A Sh0t To The EaR"
Amps-Laney GH100L @50watts
Bugera 6262 @120watts
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Behringer 412H
Guitars-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85 T-O-M
Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition EMG ZW set
Pedals-MXR WyldeWah>MXR WyldeOD>MXR Chorus
Well, chorus is not a good idea if you don't want chorus in your tone. But if you don't mind, then it's probably worth a shot.

The problem is your amp. But I guess you already knew that. I don't know if reverb is gonna help, but you should try it out at a shop. I don't really like reverb for metal rhythm, but you might. Since you've already got an OD and an EQ, I don't really know anything else that would help you a lot except for a new amp (or possibly ext. cab which has a bigger speaker, the V8 has a small speaker right?).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I like the V8 it has a 10" speaker. I'll probably be looking for a new amp in about a year. Ive already been looking at some actually. Whatever amp I do end up getting will probably be another low wattage tube. Bottom line is if theres effects that I could use Id like to start building a pedal board.