Whats a good tube amp for a mid-range player (mid range being between $450-$650)>

I was looking at the fender hotrod, but only because i like the way they look and i love fender. I'm going to be playing anything from modern rock to classic rock to blues and other clean things. The main thing im concerned about is being able to get a nice beefy distortion and very nice cleans.

Here some extra info that you might want: I play on a fender deluxe fat strat and an ibanez jet-king, i like (and try to imitate) bands like the foo fighters, ok go, john mayer, jimmy hendrix, zeppelin, eric johnson, satch, and several different alternative bands that all pretty much sound the same but i love to listen to so yea.

right now im using a spider III, which ahs served its purpose well, but now im thinking of upgrading a bit.

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Main question is will you be gigging?

If not don't get a big fender, get something like an Orange Tiny Terror or Blackheart Half-Stack which you'll be able to crank and get nice power tube distortion.

You don't want to be stuck with a 40 watt fender if you're only playing in your bedroom.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I think the Blues Jr. might fit you. I have one, and it's strong enough to play with a bassist, singer, and drummer, and is soft enough to play at decent bedroom volume. You won't get much distortion from it, so you might want to look at pedals if you consider the BJ.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Traynor YCVs have very nice cleans and better OD than fenders.
But you'd need a pedal to get truly amazing OD from it.
You could get a YCV40 used for about 500-600.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by hamish5178
Main question is will you be gigging?

If not don't get a big fender, get something like an Orange Tiny Terror or Blackheart Half-Stack which you'll be able to crank and get nice power tube distortion.

You don't want to be stuck with a 40 watt fender if you're only playing in your bedroom.

i most likely will not be gigging, and if i do gig, i can mic it right?

how do those miniature amps work, meaning do they have as much range as a fuller size tube would? which ones are good? im almost afraid to buy one of those
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Try to find a Traynor YCV series used.

Great amps.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
If you're not gigging, try a Palomino V16, Blues Junior + and OD, or perhaps a Blackheard or Valve Junior 1/8th stack.
Quote by bored_maniac33
The main thing im concerned about is being able to get a nice beefy distortion and very nice cleans.

That lets out the Fender Hot Rod.

The Traynor YCV is an excellent suggestion. For most of the artists you list, I'd also suggest a Peavey Delta Blues.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Another vote here for the Fender Blues Junior. Plenty enough for home use, small clubs, or as a stage monitor. Separate pre-amp and power amp volumes, so you can dial enough distortion to clip the tubes pretty easily without the overall volume being deafening. Right at the bottom of your price range. Only 31 lbs, easy to lug around (as tube amps go). Original old-time spring reverb (best in small doses!). Can't go wrong.

(I also have a spider III, and I don't regard the Fender as an upgrade, but rather as another tool in the kit. Each can do necessary stuff the other can't do.)
Quote by phank
Another vote here for the Fender Blues Junior. Plenty enough for home use, small clubs, or as a stage monitor. Separate pre-amp and power amp volumes, so you can dial enough distortion to clip the tubes pretty easily without the overall volume being deafening. Right at the bottom of your price range. Only 31 lbs, easy to lug around (as tube amps go). Original old-time spring reverb (best in small doses!). Can't go wrong.

(I also have a spider III, and I don't regard the Fender as an upgrade, but rather as another tool in the kit. Each can do necessary stuff the other can't do.)

yea, but the spider can get a bit boring you kno? kinda lack luster in the tone department, not horrible, but it doesnt give me that happy feeling.

btw thanks y'all for the help, idk if im going to do all this cause im goin to college next year, and therefore, might jsut need to look into a head phone/floor pedal thing, but i really love the idea of having a tube amp that i can add various effects to and have an awesome sound
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by slatsmania
That lets out the Fender Hot Rod.

The Traynor YCV is an excellent suggestion. For most of the artists you list, I'd also suggest a Peavey Delta Blues.

well, i plan getting a pedal. i mean, i wouldnt rely on the amp for distortion. lol thats the whole point of getting a tube for me really
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
well, i plan getting a pedal. i mean, i wouldnt rely on the amp for distortion. lol thats the whole point of getting a tube for me really

That is really stupid. Tube distortion and tube cleans is the reason to get tube. How the hell do you think your favorite bands get their sound? THrough pedals?? No. They used overdriven tube amps.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
That is really stupid. Tube distortion and tube cleans is the reason to get tube. How the hell do you think your favorite bands get their sound? THrough pedals?? No. They used overdriven tube amps.

..........and thats why you get a tubescreamer?? my favorite bands (ie john mayer, satch etc) do use effect pedals for their distortion btw, if thats stupid then well thats still what i want. john mayer uses a TS808 (thats the correct title, right?) for his overdriven stuff. btw, why would i use a pedal for clean?? unless i want like delay or some other effect, im not going to be using a pedal.

steve vai uses an boss distortion pedal too.

so yea, all my favorite bands/guitarists do get thei sound through pedals
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
I love that Traynor is getting a lot of love these days. Forget the Fender HRD, grab a Traynor YCV40 or YCV50 Blue. Forget about using a pedal, just use the natural OD.

well, like i said, i want a tube screamer, and i rly do like having that unnatural distortion sometimes, so ill probly get me a pedal of some sort
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
They use it on top of their amp's distortion, often, just to shape the tone a bit more, sir.

ok....i still don't see how id be stupid for getting a disortion/od pedal
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Well, I never said that. I'm saying that with a Traynor, you really don't need one.

With the HRD, it'd be stupid because you'd buying an amp with crappy OD, and then just getting a OD pedal (which is different than a distortion pedal) and basically be wasting money when you could get an amp that does a way better job for the same money.
if someone could explain why using a distortion/od pedal would be stupid, that would be cool, i dont want to go around sounding like a nub, its just in my limited experience and knowledge of how to use pedals, i just feel like with a pedal i would get a lot more control
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, I never said that. I'm saying that with a Traynor, you really don't need one.

With the HRD, it'd be stupid because you'd buying an amp with crappy OD, and then just getting a OD pedal (which is different than a distortion pedal) and basically be wasting money when you could get an amp that does a way better job for the same money.

ah brilliant i understand now

thanks btw
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by acdcrocks0323
John Mayer also uses TwoRock amps and uses the TS808 for a midhump boost, not for his overall tone. That comes from a cranked amp.

really? cause in songs like Gravity, like for the solo, it rly sounds like he just taps on a tubescreamer, but i may be very wrong
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Which version of Gravity? The John Mayer Trio version? (if you haven'y heard that one, pick up their CD, Try!. It's really good.)

INDEED!! which reminds me...i need to put that on my comp...

but no, i was talking about on Continuum(so studio), i actually like the Continuum version of gravity better, idk, it just seems to flow better. but i have only listened the gravity on Try! once or twice soo.....
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I never liked John Mayer until I heard Try! and I figured out he was actually really good. Wish he would do more bluesy stuff like that.

yea, continuum is wat did it for me. i had always thought he was a noob guitarist (before i had even played a guitar) who was hitting it big on pop charts. in fact, i got rly mad when i saw that he was doing crossroads, but then my mom went to his concert (for free >_< and brought me back a cd. then i was like O_O WOW
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I never liked John Mayer until I heard Try! and I figured out he was actually really good. Wish he would do more bluesy stuff like that.

Agreed. Try! is great. He needs to stop making elevator music.

And I think that if he is switching on a TS for the solo, it's just basically pushing the amp harder. There's not a lot of gain or dirtiness to it, either.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Agreed. Try! is great. He needs to stop making elevator music.

And I think that if he is switching on a TS for the solo, it's just basically pushing the amp harder. There's not a lot of gain or dirtiness to it, either.

oh yea, i kno, thats why i want the tubescreamer, so i can do that, or just push the amp further in general
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
btw, im going to bed, so if u respond, i wont be here

thanks for the help and patience with this stuff
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
They use it on top of their amp's distortion, often, just to shape the tone a bit more, sir.

Yeah, find an amp that gives you the sounds you're looking for on it's own - or close to it. Then use pedals to fine tune and/or push your amp a little harder. Pedals aren't stupid, but they can be used stupidly. Your amp is 80% of your tone (conservatively), make sure you get the right one, first. Then get pedals that work best with that amp. Looking for an amp that goes well with a tubescreamer is putting the cart before the horse, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.