i've decided that i wanna have a go at customisng so i figured i'd come here with questions that hopefully you're wonderful midns can answer

first of all, would a regular LP pickguard fit on my LP special? also how would i go about installing it.

secondly, i'm contemplating eventually upgrading the pups, now i know that the special isn't the greatest of guitars, but from what i've worked out i think this guitar is a model made back in 1984 somewhere in america which i thought might mean it was of a better quality. even if i'm wrong would it be worthwhile upgrading them?

at the moment i have a5rather crap MG50, but i should be upgrading to a peavey valveking 212 in the near future.

thanks for any help
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
uhh i think the pick gaurd should fit into the special and you can get some one to install the gaurd or just drill holes. and yes it will be worth installing because the standard les paul only just a litte better then the special and alot of people install new pick ups on their standard
Last edited by thisismyacc at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by thisismyacc
uhh i think the pick gaurd should fit into the special and you can get some one to install the gaurd or just drill holes. and yes it will be worth installing because the standard les paul only just a litte better then the special and alot of people install new pick ups on their standard

Standard= waaay better than the special, even stock, it kills it in sound.
Stock special=Massive, epic phail.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Standard= waaay better than the special, even stock, it kills it in sound.
Stock special=Massive, epic phail.

now that's not really helpful at all
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Quote by twistedmaggot
now that's not really helpful at all

I know...

TS: anyway, the regular pickguard probably wouldn't fit, since it's a floating pickguard ment for carved top solid bodies, or archtop hollow bodies. If you take off the metal thing the pickguard sits on, you may be able to. Pickup replacement is a definite yes.I'd suggest some SD's, maybe a jazz in the neck and a '59/Pearly Gates/JB in the bridge. I'd also suggest replacing the rest of the electronics.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
I know...

TS: anyway, the regular pickguard probably wouldn't fit, since it's a floating pickguard ment for carved top solid bodies, or archtop hollow bodies. If you take off the metal thing the pickguard sits on, you may be able to. Pickup replacement is a definite yes.I'd suggest some SD's, maybe a jazz in the neck and a '59/Pearly Gates/JB in the bridge. I'd also suggest replacing the rest of the electronics.

yeah i was thinkign of SD invaders, i've heard they're good for punk, which is practically all i play, i sometimes venture to metal and hard rock though. what other electronics would need replacing?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
^pots, wiring, jack, etc.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
ahh ok, how hard would it be to add in some extra controls? i was thinking of possibly adding another tone and volume, like a standard LP.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I need to see the back so I can see if you'll need to do any routing.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
i've just had a quick look at it and i think i would need ot do some routing, so i think i'm gonna give that idea a miss, but thanks for your help

EDIT: how do those concentric pots work?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Last edited by twistedmaggot at Mar 23, 2008,