Intro

Ok, I was thinking of buying the ESP LTD EC-1000vb when I thought "hm, why dont I look at the model up (the ECLIPSE-II VB), which is about if not more than double the price, lets see what makes it so amazing".

So, I looked up both the specs on the ESP website. Oh My God, Just take a look for yourself.

Comparison

First will be the 'lower' model, the LTD EC-1000vb, then the ECLIPSE-II VB's specs will be stated, like so:

LTD EC-1000vb - ECLIPSE-II VB
Set-Neck - Set-Neck
24.75” Scale - 24.75” Scale
Mahogany Body - Mahogany Body
Mahogany Neck - Mahogany Neck
Ebony Fingerboard - Ebony Fingerboard
42mm Bone Nut - 42mm Earvana Compensated Nut
Thin U Neck Contour - Thin U Neck Contour
22 XJ Frets - 24 XJ Frets
Gold Hardware - Gold Hardware
Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners - ESP Locking Tuners
Gotoh TOM Bridge & Tail - Tonepros Locking Bridge & Tail
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u. - EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u.
Finish: VB - Finish: VB

I had to copy and paste a lot of that...seriously, the differences:

Different makes of tuners, oh wow, they're not even sperzel.
Different makes of bridge and tail locks, wow, thats something special there.
The nut is compensated for the half price model.

Evaluation of the comparison

Personally I've always stood by that the main difference in the sound of a guitar is the type of pickup, and these pickups are the same...all the skeptics that say the body and neck have something to do with it, well, they're the same too.
Sperzel, the best locking tuners (opinions yes, but very popular opinions) are $50. I cant find exact prices, but the bridge and tail lockers are maximum $20 cheaper on the 'lower' model.

Oh and did I mention the 'lower' model has MORE frets? Making it more dynamic to play? A wider range etc??

Conclusion

Ok, there we have it, all the comparisons and cash, which in total (minus the extra cost it takes to make the extra frets for the 'lower, cheaper' model), there is about $70 difference. So why in gods name is the ECLIPSE-II VB 2 times as expensive as the LTD EC-1000vb when you could make matching guitars (except for the extra 2 frets) for $70?
And don't just say it sounds better, because on the technical side they're practically the same.

Is one handmade and the other factory made?

I can't be bothered to research...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
One has ESP and one has LTD on the headstock. You're probably paying for the name if you get the more expensive one. Or it's made better.
I was in the exact same dilemma, and finally go the ESP.

The major difference will be in craftsmanship. The ESP will be built by professionnals that know what they're doing. Not so sure about the LTD.

The ESP will also sell for more if you eventually end up selling it (it won't loose as much price).

The LTD also doesn't come with a case. If you want a good one, it's almost 150$ more.

I got my ESP in a sale. It only cost me like 300 more than the LTD and it had a case so... for only 150 more I got a better guitar.

But in the end, just try both and see wich one you like the most and get that one.
Quote by Tartan_nick
I just did a quick search and they both seem to be handmade.

Well it's impossible to make a guitar completely with a robot... So all companies say their guitars are handmade.
Quote by Tartan_nick

Comparison

First will be the 'lower' model, the LTD EC-1000vb, then the ECLIPSE-II VB's specs will be stated, like so:

22 XJ Frets - 24 XJ Frets

Oh and did I mention the 'lower' model has MORE frets? Making it more dynamic to play? A wider range etc??

Looks to me that the upper model has more frets from what you've said. But I agree, the overpricing of guitars simply for minor upgrades is ridiculous when you look at the massive price differences. Your just paying for the ESP rather than the LTD here. Its all in the brand. Although some people argue that its the little things that make the difference. One may also be hand made in the USA for example, and the other in a factory in Korea (Just examples).
Quote by Freddedonna
Well it's impossible to make a guitar completely with a robot... So all companies say their guitars are handmade.

Even Handmade guitars are made with machines. The main difference is the attention to detail.
If you play two identical guitars, only one was cut out with a router and template and the other was CNC'd, you wouldn't notice any difference.
have you tried them both out. Materials are nothing if they are not assembled properly. Take the Gibson Faded SG for example. I was set on getting one for a long time until i tried it out. The frets were sharp, the neck was thicker than the standard. it sounded terrible for some reason (i actually played about 3 of them). The standard was quite the opposite, it played and sounded beutiful. i dont know why there is such a big diference in two guitars with the same p-ups and wood but there is, you have to play them to know what im talking about.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
In 1996, ESP started a new brand, LTD. The LTD guitars are similar to ESP guitars and more affordable. The 400 series LTDs are made on an assembly line in Korea whereas the series below 400 are made in Indonesia. LTDs are made out of cheaper materials than ESPs and ESPs use better quality hardware. The custom ESPs are handcrafted in Japan while the standard ESPs are made in the ESP factory in Japan.
Quote by metalist86435
In 1996, ESP started a new brand, LTD. The LTD guitars are similar to ESP guitars and more affordable. The 400 series LTDs are made on an assembly line in Korea whereas the series below 400 are made in Indonesia. LTDs are made out of cheaper materials than ESPs and ESPs use better quality hardware. The custom ESPs are handcrafted in Japan while the standard ESPs are made in the ESP factory in Japan.

No doubt that's straight from Wikipedia, a 100% reliable source of information
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
It's the badge, ESPs are made my hand or in high quality factories in Japan, LTDs are made in Korean factories. That's why, I have an LTD and it is fantastic, all I need is EMGs and it will melt faces.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
The fact is that the ESP is made with much higher quality wood. And also most likely made of fewer pieces of wood, while the LTD is likely to be made of several pieces of wood. Also the quality of the Quality Control and general craftsmanship will be a lot higher on the ESP. Plus, it says ESP on the headstock, best show of item ever
Quote by Ichimaru
No doubt that's straight from Wikipedia, a 100% reliable source of information

Actually that info is true. I've read up elswhere too. Doesn't matter though, i love my Korean F-2005 LTD. But i can see all the small imperfections on the fretboard finishing, thin paint, and from seeing a bit of wood through the worn spots i can def say its more than 2 pieces.
Last edited by metalist86435 at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by metalist86435
Actually that info is true. I've read up elswhere too. Doesn't matter though, i love my Korean F-2005 LTD

Yes, yes, ESP POWER my MH-50 is supreme. This thread is full of ESP POWER, they are THE guitars of thrash.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too