View poll results: which is harder
fast
97 80%
slow
24 20%
Voters: 121.
Page 1 of 2
Don't be dumb. Fast.

This thread will be ruined the first time someone mentions the word "soul" or "emotion".
Obviously slow is easier, and fast can be just as easy, unless you can't play that fast yet.
thats like saying is it easier to do sweeps or open chords.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
Well, if you an play stuff accurately slow, you can play them fast too. I'm finding it harder to keep in time when playing stuff slow, mostly because I haven't practised that much with metronome. So; slow.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
I think its all about soul and emotion
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

how fast?
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Well, TS, considering that you consider Alexi LAiho and MAB to be the best guitarists, its hardly suprising that you have trouble keeping time during slow songs. Of course playing more slowly is easier, its just harder to make it sound good.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I personally have no problem keeping time anywhere from 30 bpm to 300

EDIT: As for the actual question, I'd say fast. If you screw up, it's a bitch getting back into time compared to when playing slow.
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
I think its all about soul and emotion

This thread's textual value is going....going...gone.
s'all bout emotion and FEEL man...
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Depends on how much distortion you have on it!

Seriously, if you put tons of it on, and try to shred, it will sound as if you are actaully doing it...

While with low distiortion, it will sound like a dying sheep.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
If it's within human capabilites, then fast is harder, cos you need to put more effort to play more notes.

I often find taht I am just not fast enough to play some of my favourite guitar solos, while I play the slower ones easily.
I can tremolo pick really well, but I'm not that great at hammer-ons. I'm also not great at chord changes sometimes, so there's different things to take into account.
Quote by Ichimaru
Well, TS, considering that you consider Alexi LAiho and MAB to be the best guitarists, its hardly suprising that you have trouble keeping time during slow songs. Of course playing more slowly is easier, its just harder to make it sound good.

haah i was wondering when someone would bring that up... i dont really have trouble staying in time for slower songs, but i dont really play slower stuff...
Actually I think it's harder to keep time when playing fast. Most (new to fast playing) tend to just play as fast as possible, overlooking phrasing and accuracy, which is what "shred haters" tend to criticize
I don't need a sig....
Listen to Agalloch and Funeral. and try playing one of their songs. It's much harder to play slow and keep timing right.

To play fast, you just need a basic feel of an instrument. Which is why punk is fast. Slow tempos take much more musical skill.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
They can both be hard, just depends on the song. One can be just as hard as the other.
What's the bet that all the people who simply say 'fast' with no thought cannot actually play in time.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Listen to Agalloch and Funeral. and try playing one of their songs. It's much harder to play slow and keep timing right.

To play fast, you just need a basic feel of an instrument. Which is why punk is fast. Slow tempos take much more musical skill.

Ahh, an example I hadn't thought of. Good point.

Then again, punk "musicians" don't give a shit if they get out of time, so I don't know if they really count as playing fast.
Quote by meh!
What's the bet that all the people who simply say 'fast' with no thought cannot actually play in time.

You know, that's precisely the reason that they would say that fast is harder.

Cos they've tried and they can't do it.
Since there exist fast pieces with complex timing I'll say fast.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
I"m saying it can be equally hard to do both well, I was just making fun of some people very much like some people I know at my music college.
Depends on the person. I know some people that can play ungodly fast n whatever their instrument is,not just guitar.and they're great. But,they have issues with keeping time when playing slowly.
Or,like me,others have a good sense of rhythm and can't play that fast.
But,there are also people that can do both.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
What's a very challenging slow song? I wanna try this myself...

EDIT: I'd like to clarify that by slow I mean not only tempo, but duration of notes. Something that's 30bpm doesn't count if it's entirely tremolo picking.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 23, 2008,
Slower is harder. Points have proven.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by We'realltoBlame
Depends on the person. I know some people that can play ungodly fast n whatever their instrument is,not just guitar.and they're great. But,they have issues with keeping time when playing slowly.
Or,like me,others have a good sense of rhythm and can't play that fast.
But,there are also people that can do both.

I don't see why that happens, as I see it rhythm is a basic while learning music, at least I wouldn't allow me to move to technical playing if I haven't mastered my fair share of rhythm.
playing slowly in time is harder simply beacuse there is more room for error, look at it this way:

When you are playing a piece in 4/4 at 200bpm less time passes during one bar than in 4/4 at 50 bpm. This means that there is less space into which you can put a wrong note, or a note that is out of time, even.

At 50 bpm the time into which you have to slot notes is much greater so there is a greater chacnce that you can put the note into the wrong place *and* where you have to put the note is more vague.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Slower is harder. Points have proven.

Example?
Quote by meh!
playing slowly in time is harder simply beacuse there is more room for error, look at it this way:

When you are playing a piece in 4/4 at 200bpm less time passes during one bar than in 4/4 at 50 bpm. This means that there is less space into which you can put a wrong note, or a note that is out of time, even.

At 50 bpm the time into which you have to slot notes is much greater so there is a greater chacnce that you can put the note into the wrong place *and* where you have to put the note is more vague.

I see what you mean, but you also have much more time to think. When you're playing fast, you have less time to concentrate on each note, and you might miss one.

It's like driving a car. When's it easier to control? 20 or 120 kph?
Depends. Uber fast a la shredding is harder.
However, when I play slow I sould sloppy.
I picked slow because playing just "fast" and not uber fast is easier IMO.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Fast requires more precision in a short span of time.

slow, you get precision, along with longer time span.

fast is harder in my opinion
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by meh!

Are you saying that makes playing slow harder than fast or just proving why slow isn't easy?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

This thread will be ruined the first time someone mentions the word "soul" or "emotion".

Your an idiot.

Id bet that your one of these people
"zomgz you playz so fast you must be very goood"
fast obviously, but for slow, gotta make sure those bends reach the right pitch.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Page 1 of 2