Page 1 of 2
can someone explain how the Premier League works, im from canada and want to start to follow it can someone break it down for me i know man unt. is the gods of the league but i might follow manchester city so can some explain how the league works and the situation man city is in i know they are in 8th place but what goes on in the league.
yeah, 3 pts for win 1 for draw obviusly 0 for loss.

Man City is doing pretty well I believe, I mean they haven't good budget but yeah they're doing well. I support man utd though.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Support Ipswich when we totally fly up there next season.

Ahem. You watch us.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
If you finish:
1st - League Champions & Automatically in the Champions Leauge
2nd - League Runners up & Automatically in the Champions Leauge
3rd & 4th - Have to go through some qualifying rounds to get into the Champs League
5th & 6th - You qualify for the UEFA Cup
7th to 17th - Nothing.. Boring
18, 19th & 20th - Get relegated to the 1st division (2nd teir, Called 'The Championship')
is there a playoffs? or is it whoever in first place at the end of the season is decleared the winner and whats the FA cup?
there are 20 teams at the end of the season 3 teams go down to the championship and 3 teams from the championship go up

the top 4 qualify for the champions league (cup for the best 32 teams in europe)
Sigs Are For Pussies
Theres UEFA cup aswell, like a second rate champions leauge. thats from 5 down which includes intertoto and FA cup finalists and Carling cup winners
yeah
The (usually) top 3 or 4 teams from the best leagues in europe.. Countries like Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Holland, England
Yeh, usually the top 4 from all the countires in Europe get put into different groups and go through a knockout stage.
Quote by guitar_freak523
is the champions league a tournament with teams from other countries?

Yeah it's from whole Europe.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
ok i understand it a bit more now thanks, is there a place that you can get free streams of games online because if not it might be easier to follow manchester unt. since im in canada lol
Support Man Utd

Actually follow a smaller team... Like Wolverhampton Wanderers
ok so if manchester city go finish from 7th to 17th they wont play anymore until next season but if they get up higher they can get in to the UEFA cup or the champs league right?
You should support Newcastle

Yeah, there is a place where you can watch 'em online..

Google, 'live footy' and go on the top one. You can watch games from the other European leagues too.
Quote by guitar_freak523
ok so if manchester city go finish from 7th to 17th they wont play anymore until next season but if they get up higher they can get in to the UEFA cup or the champs league right?

If they finish 7th to 17th after the 38 league games have been played, they will only be in the League competition the following season. (And the FA Cup and Carling Cup, but I dont wanna confuse you haha)

If tehy finish say, 4th after the 38 games, they will be in the Champions leauge the following season, as well as the Premiership, FA Cup & Carling Cup
so the bottom 3 teams get sent down to a lower division league and arent in the premier league right?
You should support a Canadian team really unless your family comes from a certain area in the UK.

Dont support Manchester United, you'll just fall into that cliche that all foreign premier league followers support Manchester United.
Quote by DanRev
You should support a Canadian team really unless your family comes from a certain area in the UK.

Dont support Manchester United, you'll just fall into that cliche that all foreign premier league followers support Manchester United.

+1, support Wolverhampton Wanderers.
canada doesnt have any type of league as exciting as this one, the closet we have is the league beckham decided to come play in which isnt that good.
Support Aston Villa! Our chairman is American....and thats close to Canadian right? lol
Quote by guitar_freak523
canada doesnt have any type of league as exciting as this one, the closet we have is the league beckham decided to come play in which isnt that good.

You should still follow your local team really. That's what football has been about over here for years before the rise of the Sky TV and thus the gloryhunter... Representing your local area.

So by all means, follow a Premier League team. But follow your local club too, you'll have much more fun if you actually manage to go to their games and have a laugh. I heard Major League Soccer actually has some great supporters.
theres nothing really professional leagues around here the europe ones are probably the closet,the only thing around here really is collage soccer/football lol
mls isnt that popular it sounds like classes below anything over your area, i think aston villa's owner owns my favorite hockey team in canada by the way
Quote by guitar_freak523
theres nothing really professional leagues around here the europe ones are probably the closet,the only thing around here really is collage soccer/football lol

Where abouts in Canada do you live?

Mate, I support Arsenal, who are my closest professional team and luckily enough manage to be amazing and can afford the best players etc. Thing is, I cant see them often because so many other people support them.

So I follow my closest non-league team aswell, who are Wealdstone FC. We dont even have a place to play football at the moment, we trundle around sharing grounds with other teams every so often. They're not big, they're not glamorous, but its about passion and local pride. You cant really do that with a big team that lives miles and miles away. Support a Premier League team by all means, but support a team from round your manor so you can actually go to games, build up friendships with fellow supporters, and have a positive contribution to that team. Whilst you're supporting a team miles away, the one next door to you could be struggling to survive.
im from one of the most eastern parts of canada cape breton island if you googlemap it, the thing with the MLS, the only canadian team is in my favorite pro hockey teams rival city lol
soccer/football isnt popular in north america, there's no teams to follow in my neck of the woods or in canada for that matter. it would be what hockey is like over in the uk, thats what soccer is like around here
Last edited by guitar_freak523 at Mar 23, 2008,
Man, you didn't answer my question . What are the firms like in USA/Canada. Like the football (soccer) hooligans, what are they like?
oh there's no riot or anything like that if thats what you mean lol its pretty normal nothing like over there even without the odd riot like you guys have lol, its just pretty boring fans actually, its different with hockey though our fans can be as loud as you guys just 20,000seats in stead of whatever you guys have
Page 1 of 2