Ok so I own a line 6 and I cannot stand it anymore. It's going to be my B-day and I may get around $300. I'll try selling my amp for $200. What would be a good amp for metal? I'm looking for a sound similar to Death, OLD cannibal corpse, Nile, and an clean that sounds kinda blues like.

What are my options?
Last edited by giantsfanftw at Mar 23, 2008,
Uhh...maybe an OD with a Crate V-33 212?

or, B-52 AT-100 Combo
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
b-52
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
I love these "Hi, I want to play death metal, but also have Fender cleans and blues tones" threads.

TS, Try an upgraded Valveking 112, or a Randall RG50TC. Possibbly a used 5150, but it's most likely out of your price range.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I love these "Hi, I want to play death metal, but also have Fender cleans and blues tones" threads.

Is that not possible?
i mean man if you want to play "metal"
go buy an origional 5150. i am the bigest anti peavey person in the world, but for metal it gets it done.
never settle
yes you can buy amps for cheap but they always sound like ****
im sorry crate users
b52 line 6 those are not legitimate heads
if you really care about usic and sounding good
save up and get something real you will be able to tell the difference.

p.s. you can find a 5150 for 500 if you look it shouldnt be too hard honestly
just make sure it is an origional
good luck.
Quote by giantsfanftw
Is that not possible?

I'm gonna be called a hypocrite and lynched for this, but Spider III?

*ducks under flameshield*
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
its better to wait a year and get a great amp.
Than to wait a week get a crap amp and regret it a week later
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
used 5150. nothing compares to it in that price range.
Shecter Jolly Roger w/EMGs 81/85
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor
Boss BR600 Recorder
Used 5150/6505 (They're the same thing). People say the cleans are ****, but they're really not that bad if you know what you're doing with your guitar, and a lot of blues sounds are a little overdriven, so the lack of head room shouldn't be too much a problem if you roll your guitar volume down a bit. You may have to save up a little more than $500, but it shouldn't cost you more than $600.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm gonna be called a hypocrite and lynched for this, but Spider III?

*ducks under flameshield*

God no

I have a Spider III right now. That was the amp I was talking about. Definitely not what I want tone wise.
Good luck getting 200 for your Spider XD.

Anyway, yeah get a used Peavey 5150/6505 if you can. Also get a chorus pedal to improve the cleans if you hate them.
Quote by rwalby9

Anyway, yeah get a used Peavey 5150/6505 if you can. Also get a chorus pedal to improve the cleans if you hate them.

I'm PRAYING I can get at least that. It's only 3 months old. Anything lower then 180 is definitely out of the question.
Quote by giantsfanftw
I'm PRAYING I can get at least that. It's only 3 months old. Anything lower then 180 is definitely out of the question.

Hate to break it to you but most amps lose a lot of their value as soon as they leave the store. Its like buying a car, as soon as it leaves the lot its value immediately drops. If its the 75W, you might be lucky to get 150, but good luck.
Quote by BAoxymoron
its better to wait a year and get a great amp.
Than to wait a week get a crap amp and regret it a week later

says the guy whos going to buy a custom shop guitar after a month of playing.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by rwalby9

first of all they are not the same thing
thats like calling a jcm 800 and a jcm 2000 the same amp, simply not true...

and b. i did not notice you were a giants fan
in that case i will help you with anything haha
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The 5150 and 6505 are the same thing..... just a different name because Van Halen stopped endorsing Peavey so Peavey couldn't use Van Halen's and number.

+ Kittens
Quote by Soapboxhero

and b. i did not notice you were a giants fan
in that case i will help you with anything haha

Good job reading my next post bud. The only Spider in that range would be the Spider 75W for $300 new, and the next lowest is the 30W and he's not going to get that for the exact same price as it is new. So piss off.

And if you are saying the 5150/6505 aren't the same amp then you again don't know what you're talking about.
Bugera 333XL?

Which is too loud for my purposes, I'm currently looking at getting a Krank Jr. Rev to replace my Spider 3. $699 though, ouch.
Yeah I am wondering about upgrading to a Bugera 333xl as well. So if anybody knows about these go ahead and post.

People have been dissing the quality control but I'm not sure if that's just because they don't like behringer or if they actually know for certain the quality is bad.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
Yeah I am wondering about upgrading to a Bugera 333xl as well. So if anybody knows about these go ahead and post.

People have been dissing the quality control but I'm not sure if that's just because they don't like behringer or if they actually know for certain the quality is bad.

I have a Bugera 6262 Head if you wanna use that for reference.

It's pretty solid, nothing wrong with it yet. Sound is wonderful for me.

Only time will tell though about the quality. I've only heard cases of 3 bad bugeras.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Quote by Soapboxhero
ok well first of all i was not trying to be an ass simply helping
but since you had to take it there **** you
i dont know anything?
really now...
you keep playing your jackson ass guitar and go listen to some slayer or somthing.
calling the 6505 and the 5150 the same amp is like you trying to tell me that buying a marshall no matter what the year are the same amp
like the jcm 900
they made them well from 90-92 but after that they changed and the output transformers are **** on them after 94. (5881)
so they are all jcm 900s but not the same amp.
you sir are the ****ing retard
that is why the 5150 origionals sound badass but the reissues sound like ****.
if you were so smart you would go buy some legitimate gear and stop pissing off people who know a thing or 2 and are just trying to help.
ass.

I don't really care what you think of my old Jackson thats now in bits, or the music I listen to. I can guarantee you can ask anybody that the 5150 and 6505 are literally the exact same amp under a different name. Do your research man, Peavey and EVH designed the amp together and sold it as the 5150 until they parted ways and he took the 5150 name with him, so they renamed it to the 6505. Your analogy to the JCM 800 and 900's has nothing to do with the 5150/6505 amps from a completely different company. I know exactly what I'm talking about, maybe you should do your research on them before you open your mouth. I doubt you've even played a 5150 and 6505 next to each other anyway. And they aren't reissues, the circuitry is literally identical.

"As previously announced, when Peavey and Van Halen parted ways amicably in December 2004, Van Halen retained the 5150 name while Peavey retained the amp's tone and circuitry. In fact, Peavey made only one alteration to the 5150 before relaunching it as the 6505: changing the logo beneath its metal grille. Rest assured, the signature raw rock tones guitar players have known and loved for the past 14 years are alive, loud and proud in the Peavey 6505 Series."

Piss off.

I own a Peavey 5150 and an ESP LTD AL-600 with an EMG 81, my gear is just fine thanks. You are the only person thats had a problem on this forum with me ever, so maybe I can stop pissing you off.
Last edited by rwalby9 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by Soapboxhero
EVH 5150-III 100 RMS 8 12AX7 4 6L6 3 3 band 55 lbs
Peavey 5150/6505 120 RMS 5 12AX7 4 6L6 2 3 band, shared 48 lbs
Peavey 5150/6505 combo 60 RMS 5 12AX7 2 6L6 2 3 band, shared 84.5 lbs
Peavey 5150 II/6505+ 120 RMS 6 12AX7 4 6L6 2 3 band, each channel 48.3 lbs
and the plus is biasable.

and im sure that since you know everything
you knew that fender made the 5150-III
ass.

Quote by Soapboxhero

That would be you using the 800/900 as an analogy, as you just denied. You contradicting yourself here man.. give up. I haven't said anything about the Fender 5150 III at all in this entire thread. Its an entirely different amp from the Peavey's and the 6505's, it has nothing to do with what you said about the 5150's and 6505's.
Quote by Soapboxhero
i am not "giving up"
you are simply wrong
entirely different amp yet a 5150
so they are all the same but entirely different?
so i contradict myself?
you enjoy your self man
im just trying to help this man get some legitimate gear and not end up like you
good day.

I never mentioned a thing about the 5150 II/6505+ (which are the same as well) either. I said two models (specifically the 5150 and the 6505), which you said were different so I corrected you. You keep denying it and resort to cussing and poking at my gear, which is just fine thanks.

Not every amp you listed is the same, the 5150 and 6505 are which are the only amps I even mentioned. The 5150 II and the 6505+ are the same, but the 5150 III is an entirely different beast on its own. You did contradict yourself, as you said they weren't the same amp and yet in your post they are listed with the same specs, weight and everything as I put in bold for you in to see. You also denied using the JCM 800 and 900 as an analogy, which I quoted for you from an earlier post in the thread.
Quote by Soapboxhero
im not gonna fight with you man
no use.

lol.

They are the same amps. Get over it dude.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Quote by Ryohazuki
lol.

They are the same amps. Get over it dude.

Thank you <_<.

giantsfanftw, if about $500 is going to be your budget I'd definitely get a 5150 to nail the death metal tones and then get a chorus pedal a bit later on to tame the cleans. Very few amps under $500 will be able to handle that sorta high gain and sound good, but a nice used 5150 will do very well.