Well I thought I'd summarize my visits to a couple of guitar stores in order to give you guys an idea of some amps.

My first visit was to a local store, East Coast Music Mall. Here I only got to try out one amp (they kicked me out like 10 minutes after I got there). I used an ESP LTD here.

Mesa Boogie Stiletto: This amp was killer. Good cleans, absolutely great distortion. It was especially phenominal for lead tones, for rhythm I didn't like it quite as much. But the distortion is VERY articulated, not even a hint of mud or fizz. I saw a couple of Marshalls (JVM, JMP) as well as a Mesa DC, but I was kicked out before I got the chance to try them out.

Then I went to the Guitar Center in Manhattan, NY. There were a lot more amps to choose from this time. I started with a Jackson Randy Rhoads, then switched to an Epiphone SG because I found the RR very uncomfortable.

Peavey 6505 + (half stack): I'm not sure if this was an amp you had to tweak, because when I tried it the distortion was pretty muddy, not to my liking. I thought I would love it, but I didn't get the same tone I had heard from bands who used them. I forgot to try the cleans. Maybe if I had spent more time on it, I could've gotten a better tone.

Peavey JSX combo: This amp was a lot better, much less muddy. I tried out all three channels (Clean, Crunch, Ultra). Cleans were great, not much more to say. Crunch was also great, I got a nice blues lead tone out of it as well as some classic rock crunch. Ultra was what I spent the most time on, it was really great for rhythm and lead alike. You've probably heard the Ultra tone before, it wasn't hard to reproduce that tone. I liked the JSX a lot.

VHT Pitbull: I didn't spend too much time on this, I know I'll never be able to afford it. It got a really fantastic distortion for rock and lighter metal. It didn't have enough gain on tap for what I wanted, though. I noticed a VHT Deliverance as well, I wish I had tried it out.

B-52 AT212: This amp was darn good, I could tell it would beat most other amps in its price range. Cleans of course were good (I have to admit I don't care much about cleans, so I can't say much >.>, the distortion was really great as well. Nice tone, enough gain on tap for most stuff. I don't know about it being a "poor man's recto", mainly seeing as how I've never tried a recto. But from what I've heard about them, it's pretty different, but the B-52 still gets a great tone.

Also, as for an extra bonus (as if you wanted it ) ...my pedals are finally in!

ISP Noise Decimator: While not being as flawless as it's cut out to be on here (Jesus...it's like you guys think it's the holy grail), this is a really great noise gate that takes no thought. One knob for the threshold. I keep it quite low because I'm superstitious about tone sucking, but there's really very little of that unless you start setting it higher. But yeah...good stuff indeed.

Ibanez AD-9 delay: WOW! This thing is exactly what I wanted. I remember trying out a Boss DD-3 or DD-6 or something, hearing it's unnatural delay, and concluding that I hated delay altogether. I thought I'd give it another shot with an analogue delay, and I'm glad I did. I immediately got a great delay tone out of it, and with a bit of tweaking got just what I was looking for (delay to add a bit of depth during leads). It sounds completely lush and natural. If you're looking for a very natural delay and care about tone more than crazy features like on Boss delays, I highly recommend this.

Ok...so that's all I've got. Discuss.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Wow, I didn't think this thread would be that unpopular. >.>
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
yeah i didn't think so either. i'm sure the isp is a bit overhyped, but ah damn, i could sure use one

glad to hear you got a good tone out of the b-52, the one i tried i couldn't work it out to my taste. some other guy there tried it and i liked whatever his settings were though ha.

oh dear, got gas for trying out new stuff. thanks
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I have to ask, why'd they kick you out of East Coast Music Mall? I sense a good story coming...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Interesting read. Thx for posting.

... So you didn't get to try any ENGL's then?
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
Quote by Sid McCall
I have to ask, why'd they kick you out of East Coast Music Mall? I sense a good story coming...

Not really. Maybe they realized I was just a kid trying out high end amps with no intention of buying. They said they were closing, but it wasn't even 5.

Quote by tabs aint cats
Interesting read. Thx for posting.

... So you didn't get to try any ENGL's then?

Nah, I'm pretty sure they're rare around here.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
haha yeah I just had to ask.
Have you tried the Boss noise reducer. If so how is it compared to the isp?
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
Quote by tabs aint cats
haha yeah I just had to ask.
Have you tried the Boss noise reducer. If so how is it compared to the isp?

I haven't tried it, but from what I've seen it's not nearly as bad as people on here make it out to be. I once played a school show with a very good guitarist, who used a NS-2, and his tone still sounded fine. It sounded like it did its job.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Then I went to the Guitar Center in Manhattan, NY.

You get into Manhattan and you go to Guitar Center?!?

Oy!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You get into Manhattan and you go to Guitar Center?!?

Oy!

I passed a Sam Ash and a Rudy's but didn't have the time. I can't be bothered to do everything, you know.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I passed a Sam Ash and a Rudy's but didn't have the time. I can't be bothered to do everything, you know.

You should've skipped GC and hit Rudy's and Manny's. And then maybe made a pilgimage to 30th Street Guitars if you have any interest in vintage stuff.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Pretty interesting, but after looking up some stuff I realized I can't afford any of it I'm a guy in the >$200 range .
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Probably no interest in vintage stuff if he was playing a 6505 half stack. (Sorry to stereotype)

Nothing wrong with vintage, as long as it gets a good tone it's fine by me.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X