Page 1 of 2
man so i'm looking at getting a jcm 2000 dsl head used for around 600-700 USD when i ask/tell my mom about my idea of selling stuff (including my mg head) to save money for it
she's fine with it until i tell her that i want to get it like mid summer
that's when she says "NO, you have to keep you're old amp for a while and appreciate it more" (i got it for christmas) goddamit that sucks balls
how can i appreciate it
it's a piece of ****
i don't think she realizes how much better the jcm would be
anyone go through this same thing?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
perhaps she's planning to buy you a new amp after mid summer?
that's what came to my mind when i read that...

anyway, you should be thankful that your parents give you such expensive stuff. i can only dream of getting something that's worth 600 dollars for christmas.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 23, 2008,
Describe the tone to her. Scratchy, fizzy, muddy, etc. Also tell her that it's well known among guitarists for being a bad amp.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
yeah i know it's hard but like i think it would be different if i was just sitting around asking for a new amp, but i'm not
i'm buying it on my own
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
haha yeah i know what happened was i got tricked into the usual scam
and didn't try it
and asked for it
and had like no idea they would actually get it lol
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Your mother's right...only when you're paying for stuff yourself you earn the right to choose what you get and when you get it. You may be planning on paying for the new amp but your parents still bought the last one so stop being so ungrateful.

It's not their fault you asked for a piece of crap
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sir, unless your parents play guitar, you, I afraid, are royally ****ed. Parents, as i can say from personal experience, do not and never will understand these types of things. Normally, i would suggest you remedy this situation with suicide. But instead, look on the bright side: You're smart enough to realise that this sucks.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
yeah i know i should be more grateful but it is hard with a mg
seriously
and yes i did want one
well what about this at the time i had a line 6 spider 3 75 watt
so
1. which one is better
2. what (tube combo i'm assuming) should i of gotten
i play classic rock, zep, floyd, acdc, and some metal, metallica, megadeth
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Sounds like you're not on the cleaner side, so I'm not sure. I've heard traynors were marshally, which would be good for you. Also, in my opinion(I've had people disagree with me, wouldn't be the first time), peavey classics have good overdrive. Like I said though, better overdrive than normal many a time equals less cleans than normal. You'd want to get a pedal for really heavy stuff.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Dude, don't be ungreatful. Your parents would feel like crap if you said "Oh by the way, the one that you got me AS A PRESENT is a piece of garbage, so I'm going to sell it and buy something better." Your mum has every right to tell you you aren't allowed to get a new amp.

So here's the solution: You do not sell the MG. You save up for a new amp on your own. By the time you've got enough money to buy this new amp (which won't be for quite a while), then by all means, buy it. But for now, stop whinging.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
Dude, don't be ungreatful. Your parents would feel like crap if you said "Oh by the way, the one that you got me AS A PRESENT is a piece of garbage, so I'm going to sell it and buy something better." Your mum has every right to tell you you aren't allowed to get a new amp.

So here's the solution: You do not sell the MG. You save up for a new amp on your own. By the time you've got enough money to buy this new amp, then by all means, buy it. But for now, stop whinging.

+1
Quote by syk3d

So here's the solution: You do not sell the MG. You save up for a new amp on your own. By the time you've got enough money to buy this new amp (which won't be for quite a while), then by all means, buy it. But for now, stop whinging.

+2
So you guys seriously think he should do what some unwritten moral code tells would be the "nice" thing to do, when he'd be a lot happier if he had a better amp?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by acdclandon
man so i'm looking at getting a jcm 2000 dsl head used for around 600-700 USD when i ask/tell my mom about my idea of selling stuff (including my mg head) to save money for it
she's fine with it until i tell her that i want to get it like mid summer
that's when she says "NO, you have to keep you're old amp for a while and appreciate it more" (i got it for christmas) goddamit that sucks balls
how can i appreciate it
it's a piece of ****
i don't think she realizes how much better the jcm would be
anyone go through this same thing?

lol same. I sold my Marshall Mg15cd already, and now I just need to sell my pedal.

My mum didn't care that If I sold my marshall or not, but when she heard that I wanted to get a Peavey Classic 30...well...you know the rest.
Quote by Fama
So you guys seriously think he should do what some unwritten moral code tells would be the "nice" thing to do, when he'd be a lot happier if he had a better amp?

You cannot really believe that the parents will let him sell something THEY BOUGHT with THEIR MONEY as a present for him because he WANTED IT.

Unless you somehow coerce them into letting you sell that and buy the JCM, you have to deal with the fact that you said you wanted the MG half stack.
Quote by The red Strat.
anyway, you should be thankful that your parents give you such expensive stuff. i can only dream of getting something that's worth 600 dollars for christmas.

+1
Quote by Fama

Yup.

[blasphemy]Some things are more important than tone. [/blasphemy]

Not only should he appreciate a gift he received less than three months ago more, but he's got to swallow a lesson on buying without trying. On this issue, his mother's 100% right.

TS, if want to save up and get yourself another amp, then God bless you. Selling an expensive gift that you asked for three months later is simply bad manners and reeks of being spoiled.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'm sorry. Maybe I believe too much in people having the ability to reason over their feelings at least a little. Maybe the cold, hard world will prove me wrong.

But honestly. Do you think his parents are so stuck up that they would punish him for a mistake he made? "You didn't know any better back then, so suffer now."? Is that reasonable? Is that how you'd treat your own child?

(yes dramatic word choices are a bit overblown, but nevertheless, you get the point)
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by slatsmania
Yup.

Not only should he appreciate a gift he received less than three months ago

ouch 3 months ago?

Yeah, I dont think I would want to sell it that fast just so my parents won't feel like crum.

I had my Marshall MG15 for a year, maybe that's what she didnt mind me selling it.
Play it for 23 hours a day for a little bit(1 hour for sleep of course) that way you can get all the appreciation out of the way in no time.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
haha that might work
shove it down my throat til i'm REALLY tired of it than see if i can sell it
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by slatsmania
Yup.

Not only should he appreciate a gift he received less than three months ago more, but he's got to swallow a lesson on buying without trying. On this issue, his mother's 100% right.

TS, if want to save up and get yourself another amp, then God bless you. Selling an expensive gift that you asked for three months later is simply bad manners and reeks of being spoiled.

Even though I've posted my opinions already, I "+1" Slats.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d

This guy nailed it.

Also, I bet you thought your MG was great until you read UG...
That isn't treating a child poorly, that's teaching a child a couple lessons in one. I'm good and generous with my kids. I'm going thru something similar with my daughter and a digital camera she wants right now, because the one she wanted (and now has) is no longer good enough.

And a year or so has passed, so I'm willing to upgrade her for her birthday. I just have to now get across the idea of getting the best camera for the money as opposed to the prettiest.

Girls.

But yeah, the kid asks for an expensive gift without knowing anything about it other than the fact that it says "Marshall" on the front of it, and his parents are nice enough to go out and get it for him... Three months later, he wants to sell it (at what will be a serious loss for his parents) to get something "good," instead? Why should his parents even trust him to know what "good" even is when he admits he didn't have a clue just three months ago? (I realize the JCM is a big improvement, but his folks probably don't know a JCM from an MG).

Frankly, I think the kid is seriously spoiled and has a huge set of balls to even ask to sell the amp. I wouldn't let him upgrade for a year. I'd tell him that we'll reconvene next Christmas, and he can sell it then to help pay for next year's gift.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
That isn't treating a child poorly, that's teaching a child a couple lessons in one. I'm good and generous with my kids. I'm going thru something similar with my daughter and a digital camera she wants right now, because the one she wanted (and now has) is no longer good enough.

And a year or so has passed, so I'm willing to upgrade her for her birthday. I just have to now get across the idea of getting the best camera for the money as opposed to the prettiest.

Girls.

But yeah, the kid asks for an expensive gift without knowing anything about it other than the fact that it says "Marshall" on the front of it, and his parents are nice enough to go out and get it for him... Three months later, he wants to sell it (at what will be a serious loss for his parents) to get something "good," instead? Why should his parents even trust him to know what "good" even is when he admits he didn't have a clue just three months ago? (I realize the JCM is a big improvement, but his folks probably don't know a JCM from an MG).

Frankly, I think the kid is seriously spoiled and has a huge set of balls to even ask to sell the amp. I wouldn't let him upgrade for a year. I'd tell him that we'll reconvene next Christmas, and he can sell it then to help pay for next year's gift.

You sound just like my parents, and you put it PERFECTLY!
My dad told me to sell my JVM that my mom got me. They are divorced, so he hates her. And he also thought the amp sounded bad, as did I.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
yeah what im doing is i have this spoiled friend and he has like ****ing 6 amps and what im doing is im trading my marshall mg50dfx for his marshall dsl401 maybe try saving it for a couple of months aswell as saving your cash bro and then trade it in for a other marshall amp then do the cab for a marshall 1960 cab both marshall.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
turn treb to 10, mids 0, gain 10, bass 10, and crank it on over drive. then she'll be like get it out of my house, or she'll be like OMG THE OVERDRIVE IS CRUSHING
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
my mum bought me an mg 2 years ago and i kept it for 2 years, sold it just a month or two ago. if u got urs around christmas, maybe u should keep it for a little longer.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
OMG TEH MG HAZ TEH KRUSHING OVARIEDRIVE!

hehe
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Last edited by FLCLcowdude at Mar 23, 2008,
Yeah, my parents would make me sign a contract to be their slaves for a year to get a 600 dollar amp like the mg and i definitely would have no chance of selling it for at least 6 months.

I think what you should do is turn every single knob on that amp up to TEN and maybe your mom will come around to selling it for something better lol.
here's a decent setting if you play shred,
gain:9-10
bass:8
treble:3-5
contour:4
middle:4-6
Overdrive channle

also effects,
chorus a little and effects level 8.5-9
and reverb at 7-8
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Last edited by tenaciousjp at Mar 24, 2008,
Well, TS, the good news is that you have a half decent 4x12" cab on your hands. Look into heads; based on what you listed:
Crate Palomino V32
Epiphone So-Cal
Peavey Windsor
just buy a decent distortion pedal and keep the ampon clean. That will make it more bearable so you can keep it for a while and 'appreciate' it.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
well i have a ds 1 and i'm looking to get a tube screamer and possible metal muff
but i need to try those first, i doubt i'll dislike the tube screamer, but i've heard mixed reviews on the metal muff
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
my parents brought me a $1500 AUD amp. it's an ashton viper 100 stack.

i LOVE it. sounds amazing. then i had to get the valves replaced and the guy who did it tuned my amp for me. now hitting a E5 it's like *masterbait*
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Page 1 of 2