i recently bought a vox DA5 and at next band practice, i'll need some of the effects the vox has. problem is though, that the vox can't compete with the drummer, but my 40 watt fender can.

so my question is, can i use my vox's preamp for the effects and modeling, and my fender's power amp for the power to cut it in a band situation ?

if so, how ?
the vox has "a combination Line/Headphone output so you can connect to a headphone, mixer or recorder."
could i use that and then go into my fender's power amp in ?
another method ?

if so, can i do that with guitar cable or should i use speaker cable ?

and btw, this is kinda urgent because i have band practice tomorrow and it's 12 hours PM here

thanks guys
A line out will work perfectly. Make sure that you're going into the PA in though (if that's what its labeled).

Guitar cable will work as well. A line level signal is very similar to what will come out of a high dB booster.

Dont expect anything magical in terms of tone either...
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
A line out will work perfectly. Make sure that you're going into the PA in though (if that's what its labeled).

Guitar cable will work as well. A line level signal is very similar to what will come out of a high dB booster.

Dont expect anything magical in terms of tone either...

PA ? we don't have one
couldn't i use my fender for the power ?

so i'm not going to fry either the vox, fender or cable with the normal guitar cable ?

of course not, although i must admit the vox surprised me with it's tone for being relatively cheap and very small.
I think you might be able to connect the Line/Headphone Out of the Vox to the effects return (or power amp in or whatever - the effects loop thiny). Don't know if there are problems with that. Also, don't know if you could connect it straight to the input of the fender - there might be problems with impedance.

Edit: Yeah, a normal guitar cable should work for the line out -> effects loop thing.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by The red Strat.
PA ? we don't have one
couldn't i use my fender for the power ?

so i'm not going to fry either the vox, fender or cable with the normal guitar cable ?

of course not, although i must admit the vox surprised me with it's tone for being relatively cheap and very small.

That would be a pretty awesome set up considering that you are just using what you have. I have a DA5, so I want to know the answer to this too.
Quote by The red Strat.
PA ? we don't have one
couldn't i use my fender for the power

By PA i meant the power amp (PA) input of your amp. You wont fry anything.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
By PA i meant the power amp (PA) input of your amp. You wont fry anything.

oww, my bad, ok.

so no impedance mismatches or anything ? can i crank up the preamp volume of the vox without overloading the fender ?

and going from the vox's preamp into the guitar input of the fender, would that be interesting or not ?

my last question, the 'line' of the vox, is the preamp out, right ?

thanks again man, i appreciate your help
(and thanks to the others too of course )
Impedence shouldnt be a problem at all.

The Line out of your vox is most likely coming after the pre-amp, but it could also be a regulated output after the power amp. Theres an easy way to find out. Plug it into your fender first with both the master and the pre-amp down low, and then slowly increase each separately. If only the pre-amp affects the volume, then its after the pre-amp. If both do, then its after the power amp.

Again, since its regulated and a "line" out you can use your vox as a "booster" as you would a pedal. However, i dont think it would sound as good as using the vox as a preamp and going directly into the power amp.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
Impedence shouldnt be a problem at all.

The Line out of your vox is most likely coming after the pre-amp, but it could also be a regulated output after the power amp. Theres an easy way to find out. Plug it into your fender first with both the master and the pre-amp down low, and then slowly increase each separately. If only the pre-amp affects the volume, then its after the pre-amp. If both do, then its after the power amp.

Again, since its regulated and a "line" out you can use your vox as a "booster" as you would a pedal. However, i dont think it would sound as good as using the vox as a preamp and going directly into the power amp.

ah i believe when i used the line/phone out, the master volume affected volume.

doesn't that technically mean i could overload the fender if i plug the vox into the PA of the fender and i crank the vox (which i most likely will because i blew a tube and i have much less volume now) ? and that i will certainly overload the fender if i go into the guitar input with the vox cranked ?

again, are you sure there won't be an impedance problem whatever i do ? (sorry, i just want to be sure before i experiment )
Damn that capitalised PA is annoying - usually PA means Public Address, as in the thing the singer uses for his amplification.

Edit: The impedance thing I mentioned has something to do with guitar signal having high impedance (I believe). But I don't think it's a problem with the input really, it's not like the impedance mismatch when you use wrong kind of speakers or something. So I don't think you have to worry about that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
It seems you're worried about "overloading". If you have an OD or Boost pedal, what you're doing every time you use it is "overloading" the signal handling capability of your amp. The problem arises when you're shoving WAY to much signal into the amp. That would be like taking the speaker output of one amp and putting it into the input of the other. Now, because the vox output is a line level signal, it has already been attenuated for use with headphones or a mixer, which can only take a small amount of wattage before they blow. The power amp stage of your fender should not have a problem at all, as its used to pre-amp level (line level) signals.

In terms of impedence, it doesn't much matter for the input of the amplifier. It has over a 1M input impedance, so it can take both high and low impedence signals without problems.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by SRVStrat808
It seems you're worried about "overloading". If you have an OD or Boost pedal, what you're doing every time you use it is "overloading" the signal handling capability of your amp. The problem arises when you're shoving WAY to much signal into the amp. That would be like taking the speaker output of one amp and putting it into the input of the other. Now, because the vox output is a line level signal, it has already been attenuated for use with headphones or a mixer, which can only take a small amount of wattage before they blow. The power amp stage of your fender should not have a problem at all, as its used to pre-amp level (line level) signals.

In terms of impedence, it doesn't much matter for the input of the amplifier. It has over a 1M input impedance, so it can take both high and low impedence signals without problems.

alright.

i tried the vox's line out -> fender power amp in. it sounded pretty good but i also had to crank up the vox completely to compete with my drummer and the other guitarist. i didn't have enough volume at all...

so i can plug the vox's line into the usual guitar input of my fender and crank the vox (and fender) without any problems ?

sorry for the endless amount of questions but you seem like a very knowledgeable guy so i might as well make sure i'm not going to hurt anything
^ Try it.

Also try it in the FX Loop Return if it has one.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ Try it.

Also try it in the FX Loop Return if it has one.

i did and it works, but i'm not sure if i can crank both the fender and vox (because i'll need that much volume in my band) without damaging something.

yes i did and it works perfectly too, and i'm also pretty sure i can crank the vox without any problems if it's connected to the fender's power amp in.

the vox cranked into the fender's guitar input (and the fender cranked) however, i'm not sure...
Quote by timi_hendrix
Are you sure you should still be using the amp if you've blown a tube?

i don't know, i didn't really think about it until now. oh dear...
they still work, both of them, but one of them is working much less than the other one. so it's partially blown.

i kinda like it better now because i can put my amp to 12 now as opposed to 4 (in a band situation) when my tubes were still in perfect working order.

but i'm not sure if i should still be using it... uh oh
Well, if you've been using it up until now and it's not blown up, that kinda points to it not being a problem, but you never know. Other guys will know better than me.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
On top of this, are you suggesting your Vox DA5 has a tube, I'm quite tired after a heavy weekend on the sauce and I'm having trouble deciphering the thread.
If you're not getting as much power out of your amp as you were before your tube blew out, replace the tubes. Then try running your vox thru the power amp section. You should have plenty of volume because that (probably) is a higher power signal than what is coming out of the pre-amp section of the fender, which is what the power amp is used to amplifying.

Putting it into the input is going to sound terrible.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
2 Fender Blues Juniors