Just a quick question about bending. I know the proper technique is to use two fingers to bend the string, but what if you have to bend the note where your first finger is? Do you move your fingers back one fret so you can bend it with both the first and second finger or do you only use the first finger? Moving your fingers back one fret costs time and it seems to me that it might hinder your playing when you're playing fast, but on the other hand bending with only one finger is considered an improper technique and results in sloppy bends and such. I hope I explained my question clearly enough!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
stop worrying about technique, if you have the strenghth to bend with one finger, do it
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Well now i know how to properly bend. I used 1 finger all the time before cuz i never was taught/learned how. I'd imagine moving your 2nd finger in next to your 1st finger to help bend but keeping your 3rd and 4th fingers where they are might not cost you too much time.
i'd say it depends on the bend. a half or maybe even full (depending on where you are on the neck) is pretty easy with one finger. but if you're going to hold the bend, and especially if you wanna add vibrato, i'd recommend using at least two fingers. also, you don't always have to move down on the neck, you could move up a little and drop down to the next string
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
I know it also comes down to prefence, but is there any one of these methods that is considered the 'proper' way to do it?
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
If possible, use two fingers as you will have more control over the note. Otherwise one finger will do just fine
Quote by Dardarian
I know it also comes down to prefence, but is there any one of these methods that is considered the 'proper' way to do it?
To get leverage on big bends or accurate vibrato with my first finger, I usually turn my finger to an angle to the fretboard. kinda like this if but at more of an angle(using kinda the side of your finger facing the thumb) and at the same time loosening your thumb so you're not gripping the back of the neck.

\
-\---
--\--
---\-
-----
-----
-----

hope that was sorta clear. it might help.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by Dardarian
Just a quick question about bending. I know the proper technique is to use two fingers to bend the string, but what if you have to bend the note where your first finger is? Do you move your fingers back one fret so you can bend it with both the first and second finger or do you only use the first finger? Moving your fingers back one fret costs time and it seems to me that it might hinder your playing when you're playing fast, but on the other hand bending with only one finger is considered an improper technique and results in sloppy bends and such. I hope I explained my question clearly enough!

A large number of guitarists will move their thumb to the top of the neck for extra strength on bends. I do not do this, but some people find it easier.