So...

I have a sudden urge to buy a Swiss Army Knife.

I have a couple of questions-

1) For those who already own one- have you ever found them useful?
2) Which one would you choose? Are there any of the functions that seem good on paper, but are in fact useless in practice?

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=1&lang=E

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

1) I guess they are useful, but I've never had to use mine...They're nice to have, though. Leatherman tools are also cool

2) The toothpick is completely useless, but an awful lot of them have one. I've also never used the bottle-opener or corkscrew, as the stuff I drink comes in PET bottles. It's good to have one with both a knife and a saw. The magnifying glass is useless. I have no idea what that hook is for.

If I were to take one of these, I'd get the Handyman or Swisschamp.
They would work well if you were lost in the woods. That's about it.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
bottle openers can be useful
my dad uses the toothpick on his all the time
you could get a Roadie Tool, it's like a swiss army knife but only with guitar tools.
Rockin' shit
I have one with a serrated blade. I hate it. Otherwise, I use just about everything else on mine.
Yeah I have one in my gig-bag, it always comes in handy.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
I got a swisschamp for my birthday I've used it so many times and you can adjust your guitar with it. Before I forget buy any of the knives off amazon because they're so much cheaper there
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
I use the scissors to trim stuff, the bottle opener for bottle opening and the knife for cutting something every once in a blue moon.

I don't go camping often or anything like that so i spose it is quite useful.
Make sure you get one that's tailored to your needs, and doesn't have too much extra crap on it.

I have http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=182&lang=E . The only thing I wish I had is a pair of scissors.

I use the knife maybe once a week, and use the can opener pretty frequently. I've used all of the screwdrivers a few times. I haven't used the saw yet, but I haven't been camping yet with it either.

A few things to consider:
  • Make sure you get a locking blade. There's nothing worse than trying to use a knife that folds on you when you don't want it to.
  • Make sure the knife is comfortable in your hand. That corkscrew is rumored to be pretty uncomfortable.
  • Make sure you only get what you need and are going to use. Consider your lifestyle.
  • Serrated or non?

-SD
Quote by sashki
1) I guess they are useful, but I've never had to use mine...They're nice to have, though. Leatherman tools are also cool

2) The toothpick is completely useless, but an awful lot of them have one. I've also never used the bottle-opener or corkscrew, as the stuff I drink comes in PET bottles. It's good to have one with both a knife and a saw. The magnifying glass is useless. I have no idea what that hook is for.

If I were to take one of these, I'd get the Handyman or Swisschamp.

The magnifying glass is for makeing fire if you happend to get lost in the woods
Quote by SilentDeftone

I wish mine had a locking blade, I've lost count of the amount of times I've tried to cut something and it folds into my fingers.

Your knife is well nice.
Quote by DanRev
I wish mine had a locking blade, I've lost count of the amount of times I've tried to cut something and it folds into my fingers.

Your knife is well nice.

Thanks. It cost about $40.

Also, I commend the OP for wanting to purchase a SAK. They are incredibly handy, and I think just about everyone should carry one.

-SD
no get a leatherman. ive had a swiss for forever, (im in scouts). and the fact the blades dont lock has cost me... in blood. ive cut my hand open a few times. also the leatherman is just a much more useful and sturdy tool. or be REALLY cool and just get one big knife without any of the tools. those are the best and most reliable.
Quote by 51VH50
no get a leatherman. ive had a swiss for forever, (im in scouts). and the fact the blades dont lock has cost me... in blood. ive cut my hand open a few times. also the leatherman is just a much more useful and sturdy tool. or be REALLY cool and just get one big knife without any of the tools. those are the best and most reliable.

But you're much more likely to get nicked for having that.

I still want to make my own proper knife one day, or at least design it. Get someone to make the blade obviously, but I'd like to make the handle and bolsters.
Yep, Leatherman Wave FTW. I do a lot of theatre tech and there are literally thousands of times when a Leatherman comes in useful.

P.S. You're sort of allowed to carry it if it's a tool: so I have a good reason. Not so much just "I feel like buying a Swiss army knife"... you'll need a better excuse than that if you ever get stopped by the police!
I plan on doing a LOT of camping this year and a LOT of fishing so I need a nice multi-tool with pliers. Any suggestions?
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I have a Swiss Army knife...I carry it everywhere, because it really does come in handy for a lot of things. Listen to the previous posters and get one with a locking blade, because if you don't, you'll regret it.
Quote by goldmember1217
I swallow it whole, like a man.
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
P.S. You're sort of allowed to carry it if it's a tool: so I have a good reason. Not so much just "I feel like buying a Swiss army knife"... you'll need a better excuse than that if you ever get stopped by the police!

(Invalid img)

No you don't. The only time you'd need an excuse is if the knife is illegal where you live, which to my knowledge, is not the case with any Swiss Army Knife. You might not be allowed to carry it at school, however… but if that is the case, you wouldn't be able to carry a Leatherman either since it has a blade.

If you need pliers, I would definitely consider a Leatherman tool. However, if you don't need pliers and want it to function primarily as a knife, I would go with Swiss Army.

-SD
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
Above a four inch blade in the UK = illegal.

I don't have a ruler handy, but I would estimate that the actual blade of my knife is less than 4 inches, despite the actual knife being longer (111mm). Also, I don't think a store would sell you an illegal knife.

-SD
Ah fair enough. My LM's a bit longer.

One of my friends has a pretty cool Victorinox (sp? the Swiss Army people) multi-tool with pliers. Good quality, although I think the blades need to be sharpened often.

Edit. Yeah as I said it's only illegal if you have it for no good reason (I think this is right, I'm no legal expert, as you may have guessed).
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
Edit. Yeah as I said it's only illegal if you have it for no good reason (I think this is right, I'm no legal expert, as you may have guessed).

A bit different attitude here I suppose, what with Americans being obsessed with their guns and other weapons and such.

-SD
Quote by Joe-Fish
I plan on doing a LOT of camping this year and a LOT of fishing so I need a nice multi-tool with pliers. Any suggestions?

The angler or the fisherman (both on the site)
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
I have owned tons. The camper is the best I think. The scissors are almost useless and all that other crap like a magnifying glass just makers a gigantic knife that you don't want to carry. The blades are sharp as hell but they break easy. But they have a lifetime warranty so you can just keep getting a new one. When mine starts getting ****ty I just snap the blade and we have a store here in town to trade them in at.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
1) yes, i use mine all the time, though i don't carry it with me. it's not swiss, it's a cheapo

2)useful: Knife (obviously), bottle opener- (beer bottle opener), can opener, screwdriver, saw (occationally), Scissors, File, (ones that come in pliers are handy too.)
useles: Fish gutter, blunt gap filling bits.
1) yeah, i got plenty of them (see my location) and i use them very often.

2) really depends on what you're using it for. The SwissTool is really cool but big, the SwissCard is cool because you can put it in your wallet and the Signature is cool because it's very small but has all the basic things you need..