I'm looking for a decent metal guitar and I realy like the epiphone explorer goth.
Is it better to buy this guitar and upgrade with emg81/85 + tremelo bridge, or to buy like a more expensive guitar. I've been playing for 2 years, My current gear is a cheap strat copy, epi LP studio and some 35 watt amp (saving for a decent tube).
My playing level is like mediocre-ish. (not good at soloing). My budget is pretty tight not much more above 600-700 (and the explorer i can get for 300 ebay).
I would suggest a different gutar for metal. What kind of metal are you talking about?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I think you can get an Epi Prophecy explorer-style with an EMG 81/85 combo and FR for about that much. If you do get the Goth Explorer, put a kahler bridge on it. They have some that can mount onto the existing studs for the normal Tune-O-Matic bridge.
thanx for the quick reponse
I play trash metal, Metallica, megadeth, pantera etc
I played this guitar at the store and i had a hard time leaving it there.
A friend of mine has got the epi explorer korina, but the goth looks just nicer IMO.
The prophecy would be nice, but the deep cut for the 24 frets just looks wrong.
another thing i'm worried about is will the dotless fretboard be harder to play (solos and that kind of stuff).
Well, not really, if you know where the frets are
Most necks without inlays have side dots still anyway so you can just look at those

Edit: I'd also suggest something like an Ibanez or ESP with EMG's and tremelo fitted, you should get a decent one for around your budget, also, check second hand, might come across some bargains
From your music styles i would recommend Esp's or Ltd's, theyre great for metal, and many come with tremelos

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Skywalker007
thanx for the quick reponse
I play trash metal, Metallica, megadeth, pantera etc
I played this guitar at the store and i had a hard time leaving it there.
A friend of mine has got the epi explorer korina, but the goth looks just nicer IMO.
The prophecy would be nice, but the deep cut for the 24 frets just looks wrong.
another thing i'm worried about is will the dotless fretboard be harder to play (solos and that kind of stuff).

About the fretboard, it shouldn't. My ML has no fretboard markings, and it's no different. It still has the dots on the side, that should be enough.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2