does anybody know how to alternitive pick? I know I havent been playing long enough to even think about learning this but can anybody tell me how to do that 1 technique?beileve it or not i am trying to learn thunderstruck(duh ACDC) and through the fire and the flames.(dragon force)i can already play them without alternate picking . so just tell me wut to do ok?
If you don't know how to alternate pick, you shouldn't be learning Dragonforce...
ummm up and down motions? instead of just going down with the pick, when you go down hit the strings again when you come back up.
k well theres a big difference between thunderstruck and through the fire and flames
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
You really need a guitar teacher if you think you can play dragonforce after 4 months of playing.
the main riff in thunderstruck (the one that is played throughout) is legato (ie. not picked)

alternate picking is just picking with a downstroak followed by picking with an upstroke

if you've been playing for 4 months i doubt you could play through the fire and the flame... at least up to tempo and cleanly
EPIC THREAD.

But seriously, it took you four months to learn Through The Fire And Flames with only downstrokes? That's kinda slow, mate.

FAKE EDIT SO THAT I DON'T GET REPORTED:

Firstly, I have a feeling you mean alternate picking. Basically alternating up and downstrokes. The best way to develop being comfortable with it is to do chromatic exercises with a metronome. It's irritating, yes, but you'll be shocked at how fast you'll improve. Take it slow at first, then boost the tempo little by little.
Also, alternate picking means strictly up and down, no matter what direction you were going in last or how many strings you're skipping. Most people tend to use a combination of alt and economy picking.
I don't need a sig....
Quote by Ultraturtle0
EPIC THREAD.

But seriously, it took you four months to learn Through The Fire And Flames with only downstrokes? That's kinda slow, mate.

FAKE EDIT SO THAT I DON'T GET REPORTED:

Firstly, I have a feeling you mean alternate picking. Basically alternating up and downstrokes. The best way to develop being comfortable with it is to do chromatic exercises with a metronome. It's irritating, yes, but you'll be shocked at how fast you'll improve. Take it slow at first, then boost the tempo little by little.

+1 to chromatic exercises.
Quote by tryhonesty
im only trying to play the intro

So you play the shot's at the beginning?

They aren't hard, but your better off to learn songs which are easy enough to learn all the way through. Try Living After Midnight by Judas Priest, as it is simple for a beginner to learn.

As far as alternate picking, you want to have an upstroke and a downstroke, which are alternated as you play. Practice with a metronome, and make sure that they are equally spaced, and tonally similar. At first practice slowly, and just use one string. Start to speed things up, gradually. When you use more than one string, you can continue to do alternate picking and go DUDUDUDUDUD etc... regardless of what strings you are on, or you can play consecutive upstrokes when moving up strings, or consecutive downstrokes when moving down strings, which is called sweep picking, but when used in conjunction with alternate picking is called economy picking.
Quote by tryhonesty
what is a metronome. ????

A metronome is a device which keeps time. They click, in a steady, even rhythm. The speed at which the click is measured in beats per minute. Most musicians practice with one, to improve their timing, as that is the most important part of your playing. Some metronomes will have different sounding clicks to indicate the strong beats of each measure. Some metronomes are able to play different repeating rhythmic patterns as well.

Quote by kdkiernan
...sigh

You might know what a metronome is, but he obviously does not. He was not being rude in anyways, and seemed willing to learn. There is no need to post something like that, which does not add anything to the post, and just makes the thread starter feel dumb.
Quote by kdkiernan
...sigh

**** off if that's all you have to say.

TS: The key idea behind alternate picking is that each stroke ALWAYS moves in a different direction than the stroke that preceded it. Most people who think they're alternate picking are actually economy picking, in which the stroke direction can be repeated two strokes in a row if you're changing strings.

A good way to develop alternate picking skill would be to take a barre chord, hold it down and try alternate picking each note. For example, hold down an A barre chord and play:

e----------------5-------------------
B-------------5----------------------
G--------- 6-------------------------
D-------7----------------------------
A-----7------------------------------
E--5---------------------------------

Where you downstroke the bottom A, upstroke the E (7th fret A string), downstroke the A (7th fret D string), upstroke the C# (6th fret G string), downstroke the E (5th fret B string) and then upstroke the A (5th fret high E string.)

After you're comfortable and proficient with this, reverse the strokes; this will create new neural connections and improve your ability. It also helps to be able to alternate pick a run regardless of which stroke you start on.
^ Then to add to that, add a little bit of skipping:

|--------------------------0-----0------------------------------
|-------------------1---------1--------1------------------------
|------------0---------0------------0----------0----------------
|------2--------2--------------------------2------------2--------
|---------3-------------------------------------------3----------
|---3-----------------------------------------------------------3

-