Here's my guitar. Floyd-rose equipped RR-shaped LTD with 24 frets, etc.

I use my whammy bar a lot, and sometimes I'll pull it up pretty dang high and my strings seem to be fine. But today I only pulled it up a little bit and my A-string just gave. This is the second time it's happened in maybe 3-4 weeks. This can't be normal, can it?
Well, there might be a small bit of metal (just a very small imperfection) sticking out from the saddle.

This happens occasionally and can be solved easily (or take it to a tech).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Take it to see someone who is a professional, it could just be something small that he can fix in a minute. Or it could be the fact that you are pulling the bar back too far!! It shouldn't really be breaking with such a good guitar, there shouldn't really be any flaws that would concentrate too much pressure on certain weak points on the strings. Cheap guitars do that.
look where the string touches the bridge. there may be something there like a piece of metal that is cutting your string. sand it down and you shoud be good
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into what you said. Here's a pic of the broken part of the string by the way if it helps decipher the problem at all.

Last edited by fixationdarknes at Mar 23, 2008,
Theres no reason that I can see from this picture why it would be happening, unless there is either a fault in the batch of strings you had, or there is a little shard of metal that is wearing cutting it the strings.
well it didn't appear to break at the bridge, so everybody's "little piece of metal" theory doesn't apply.
Quote by schecters6
well it didn't appear to break at the bridge, so everybody's "little piece of metal" theory doesn't apply.

get eyes.
Schecter, that picture is of the string breaking at the bridge.

Is this so-called "theory" about the piece of metal cutting my string something I myself can personally look into? Or do I have to take it to a professional guitar tech?
Quote by fixationdarknes
Schecter, that picture is of the string breaking at the bridge.

Is this so-called "theory" about the piece of metal cutting my string something I myself can personally look into? Or do I have to take it to a professional guitar tech?

If you have a good file you could do it yourself. Otherwise, take it to a tech.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by fixationdarknes
I see. Where do you guys suspect this little piece of metal might be? I don't see anything.

Well its not really a piece of metal as such, its just a rough edge where the strings rest of the bridge saddles. Rub a soft part of your finger and feel around if theres any sought of scratching or abrasion? If there is, then either do it yourself with a very VERY fine piece of sandpaper, one stroke at a time. Or something I'd suggest more strongly, take it to a tech.