So today I got a new guitar, a Fender MIM Strat. I really love messing around with the trem on it, as it's the first decent guitar with a whammy on it I've ever owned.

The problem is, the G B and e strings are going out of tune like crazy, I'm talking at least a full step. I think the strings may be put on wrong or something... but anyways. Will locking tuners and a roller nut really help my tuning stability? It's gonna cost me quite a bit to get both, so will it be worth it?
It will.

A combination of both (maybe with a pair of roller string tree thrown in (yes, they exist)) will help your tuning a lot.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
It will.

A combination of both (maybe with a pair of roller string tree thrown in (yes, they exist)) will help your tuning a lot.

So it'll be worth the money, since I do a lot of dive bombs and such?

Also, I heard that removing your string guide can help with tuning. True or not?
Quote by AngelOfHatred
since I do a lot of dive bombs and such?

Keep in mind, Fender's aren't meant to be divebombed. Even with new tuners and nut it will go out of tune a bit if you're doing crazy **** with it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Keep in mind, Fender's aren't meant to be divebombed. Even with new tuners and nut it will go out of tune a bit if you're doing crazy **** with it.

Yeah, I know Fenders aren't supposed to have their trem beaten to sh*t, but I do it all the time on my dad's VG Strat, and it holds the tuning perfectly, so it must be possible hold your tuning on a Strat.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Yeah, I know Fenders aren't supposed to have their trem beaten to sh*t, but I do it all the time on my dad's VG Strat, and it holds the tuning perfectly, so it must be possible hold your tuning on a Strat.

I cringed a little there.

Oh, and removing your string trees won't help with tuning.
Weekend Warrior
Yep the locking tuners help a lot, so does the roller nut. Also How much was the guitar is Canadian dollars?
Quote by ML_Guitar09
I cringed a little there.

I'm still careful, don't worry.

Quote by sum_ugly_man
Yep the locking tuners help a lot, so does the roller nut. Also How much was the guitar is Canadian dollars?

I have no clue, really. My mom got it from a guitar center when she was in Florida while back. She gave it to me as a gift today.
Quote by sum_ugly_man

Last time I went to Long & McQuade, the basic Standard Strat was $495 in the normal paint job. (red, white etc.) Then for the burst finish, I think it was $530. Price has probably dropped since then.

I hate going to that damn Scarborough Long & McQuade /off topic.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Last time I went to Long & McQuade, the basic Standard Strat was $495 in the normal paint job. (red, white etc.) Then for the burst finish, I think it was $530. Price has probably dropped since then.

I hate going to that damn Scarborough Long & McQuade /off topic.

well It's all I have at the moment, I'm not going to steve's cause I rarely see a nice collection of fenders, It's always the LTDs and Line6s.

Also Isn't there a long and mcquade in Whitby? my friend's guitarist is from there

TS, Look into trem setters maybe?
locking tuners are always worth the money any guitar you buy the first upgrade should always be to locking tuners.
it makes the tuning much more stable and will also make setup infinitely easier
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
As far as the string tree goes, you can only remove it if you replace the stock tuners with staggered locking tuners; after all, string trees are there for a purpose. You can get your strings to bind less with graphite saddles and a graphite nut. You could also go with a graphite or roller string guide. Going with a roller nut will require modification of your guitar. The key to tuning stability is making it so the string doesn't shift on the tuning post and that it doesn't bind up at any point along the length of the string.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Mar 23, 2008,
Quote by sum_ugly_man
well It's all I have at the moment, I'm not going to steve's cause I rarely see a nice collection of fenders, It's always the LTDs and Line6s.

Also Isn't there a long and mcquade in Whitby? my friend's guitarist is from there

TS, Look into trem setters maybe?

Its in Oshawa, but I can't go back there for....reasons I can't explain.
Be cool.