I'm painting some very inspirational art on my guitar, which is going to be a mix of Paul Klee's 'The Twittering Machine', and some Francis Bacon. So far, I've painted my Squier white w/ two coats. I have yet to apply any sort of clear coat, so I'm thinking now would be a good time. Plus, the guitars pretty bumpy (makes a good canvas)!

Heres a mockup:

Excuse the crappy photoshopping.

OOH one last question; what type of paint should I use, acrylic?
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Last edited by djszkoda at Mar 23, 2008,
Just just to say this mate, but that is awesome! Truly unigue and obscure, in a wonderful way of course. Acrylic would work, although I couldn't say for sure as I have never painted the guitars I've tiffled with and made. I never had a nice enough design to put in the effort.
Thanks alot! I love the piece I will be painting (own a reproduction, hanging on my wall). I was definitely aiming for sometihng unique!

I've heard that acrylic would work best, I could aways repaint if anything.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Looks really cool man. Can't give any advice as to what kind of paint to use though...
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
I'm still trying to find out how to do the splotches on the guitar. Might just roll it in dirt, haha!
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

That is amazing.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
That is amazing.

I'll tell you.. it'll take some work.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

I was planning a clearcoat all the time, I don't want to scratch all that work off :P
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda
I was planning a clearcoat all the time, I don't want to scratch all that work off :P

missed that line in the orignal post lol
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
lol no problem :P

Going out to buy acrylic paints today and some carbon copy paper.
Will post pics soon!
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Well, since most guitars are painted with a similar type of paint that cars are painted with, i would say to use cans of Acrylic Lacquer spray paint. Enamel paints are made with oil bases as opposed to Lacquer in lacquer paints. Body shops use mostly lacquer paints to,...yeah

edit: + i have painted 3 guitars, one with spray cans of the acrylic lacquer, and the others with actual car paint that i applied with my gravity feed gun, both basically came out with the same results. they looked EXCELLENT. The only problem that i had with all 3 i did, was that after the clear coat, there is a lot of fisheye, so i had to wet sand and buff the body down. i've never used enamel so i really dont know if it would do the same. just be prepared to do a lot of work, especially with baking the paints.

edit2: and nice design, but what are you gonna do about the pickguard? im not sure if painting the design over it will work, but ...idk
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Mar 23, 2008,
I'm going to paint the pickguard.
Going to clean it off with naptha, then carbon copy the design down, use acrylic paints, and then clearcoat it.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda
I'm going to paint the pickguard.
Going to clean it off with naptha, then carbon copy the design down, use acrylic paints, and then clearcoat it.

that sounds like it'll work, but im not sure if the paint will stick to the plastic even if you wipe it down first. it may look really good for a week or 2 but after some playing and the minor scratching that picks to the pickguard, it might start to chip.

but hell, go ahead, try it, if it doesnt work, its only a pickguard.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Exactly, I have a spare turtle shell one for just in case.
Or I might just paint the body, upper left hand corner, that big chunk where my arm would rest, then somewhat relic the whole guitar.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.