I went to a local guy's house to sell him my US Fender P and he told me he had a MIJ jazz he'd trade me for my P. I went there and played it and it felt good, but I've never heard too much about japanese fenders. After I told him that I needed the money instead, he told me that if I changed my mind, he'd sell it to me for $500 with a SKB hardshell case. It's white with tortoise shell pickguard, bridge pickup cover (like the reissue style), EMG passives, schaller tuners, and gotoh bridge, and I think it was from the late 90's he said. It seemed to play pretty good, the only thing I was worried about what the guy said he bought it from someone that it was 2 peices, so he had to install the neck and everything. That and the guy also does his own luthier work, and it looked like the nut was filed down, which didn't make me happy either. What I'm asking is, are japanese basses pretty nice compared to US's?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Generally, they're bottom rung Fenders. A step up from Squire, yes, but not as good as MIM or MIA Fenders. But if it feels good and sounds good, go for it.

EDIT: Just a guess here, but I think he'd be screwing you. There's a price disparity between MIJ and MIA Fenders, look into the new and used prices of both your guitars.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Mar 23, 2008,
japanese basses are a step down from american fenders in terms of parts and workmanship although the quality gap isn't that big between them
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by t3hrav3n
Generally, they're bottom rung Fenders. A step up from Squire, yes, but not as good as MIM or MIA Fenders. But if it feels good and sounds good, go for it.

EDIT: Just a guess here, but I think he'd be screwing you. There's a price disparity between MIJ and MIA Fenders, look into the new and used prices of both your guitars.

Wrong buddy. Japanese Fenders are damn nice, almost as good as MIA and hell better than MIM.
Quote by watchingmefall
Wrong buddy. Japanese Fenders are damn nice, almost as good as MIA and hell better than MIM.

Ah, my mistake.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
The age of the MIJ Fender is kinda important. I forget the actual explanation of when they switched from MIJ to CIJ (I think it had something to do with a plant changing), but MIJ Fenders at one point were the precursor to MIM Fenders - just that MIJ Fenders were of higher quality than the current batch of MIM Fenders. I had an MIJ Fender and it was great.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah, it's as if Fender Japan is an autonomous company - HOWEVER, I will say that a lot of non-export Japanese basses are made of basswood, and I'm not a fan of that!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thanks guys, the guy told me that the body was alder and that the way japan dates their basses, he said it was dated to the late 90's. He also changed all the electronics to MIA electronics. I mean it sounds like a solid bass with all the good parts on it. What's the value on these basses? I usually like to buy and sell things so I don't want to lose money on it if I decide to sell.

Yea I heard the Japanese are between the MIM and on par with MIA's.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
i went to a store here a while back and found a MIJ P bass....it caught my eye cauwse it looked really cool...it was bright blue it was like an inch and a half thick...it have some cool pin striping
it was jsut really neat looking
but i had to go in a hurry and didnt get time to play it alot

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I find that the quality foodchain goes MIA>MIJ>MIM>Squire
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
welcome to the darkside...

when it comes to fender (and women) i definitely have yellow fever..
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
MIJ or in fact CIJ Fenders are great

muchos better than MIM in my opinion, I own one (yes it's a Mustang, so what? )

and it feels solid and good PU and controls and generally it, and other Japenese models I've tried are great quality Fenders, not quite up there with the Americans but certainly a step up in terms of quality and feel than Mexicans, to me Mexicans dont feel like a Fender, that is, like an instrument with, for want of a better word, class, they dont feel special, Japenese ones do to me....

its a shame a lot of the export models tend to be the non tradional basses, like the Mustang, or Jaguar
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
japanese basses are fantastic, and that is from personal experience, my fender precision is MIJ
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp