I recently bought a Hondo II Les Paul DC copy, and am in the process of refinishing / rebuilding it. It was coil tapped before, but I didn't get a chance to see how it was wired up before the previous owner tore them out. I've tried looking coil taps up online, but all of the pickups listed in the examples have four wires, while mine only has three (including the ground, of course). What gives? I'm pretty sure the pups are Dimarzios, but I have no idea what type they would be, there's no markings on them whatsoever. Thanks in advance.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
if your sure their Dimarzios, look up Dimarzio's website, and look under schematics. that should help you.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I already did, all I can find for Dimarzios (and Duncans and any other pickup I've looked up, for that matter) is either two conductors or four. Obviously one is the ground and one is the lead, but what the hell is the third wire?
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
there can be 2 grounds, one goes to the pots, and the one could go to another metal piece. i kno in strats, there is a ground that gets attached to the back tremolo spring plate. idk about yours tho because it doesnt have a trem. uh...pics?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
There's one of two ways that the pickup wires are for you.
One, is that there is a hot, ground, and negative. The ground and negative go to the grounding point.
Two, you have hot, ground, and the third wire links the two coils together. The third wire will be what allows you to split the pickup.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
There's one of two ways that the pickup wires are for you.
One, is that there is a hot, ground, and negative. The ground and negative go to the grounding point.
Two, you have hot, ground, and the third wire links the two coils together. The third wire will be what allows you to split the pickup.

My EMG Selects used method two. And FYi, those aren't DiMarzio's in a Hondo. It would have a DP*** to indicate the model, and number two, Hondo was a cheap ass maker of guitars. They are probably Mighty Mites.