Yeah so you may have seen me on these boards recently as the guy asking about the peavey classic 30 vs. crate's palominos, and selling my schecter c-1 plus for an agile.

Well I just recently discovered epiphone elitist les pauls, and they are getting AMAZING reviews from musiciansfriend and harmony central. I am not particularly dissatisfied with my schecter c-1 plus; it's just that I am now looking for a more classic rock tone, particularly jimmy page's "led zeppelin II" and his live tone from "how the west was won," which is why I am looking into les pauls so much.

So what do you guys think? Should I consider selling my schecter c-1 plus to get an epiphone elitist les paul? Or should just I keep my schecter? I am thinking of changing my schecter's pickups to a seymour duncan 59/59 combo too if I decide to keep it.

The amp I will be using will be a crate palomino V16 or a peavey classic 30; not exactly sure which one I want yet.

So what do you guys think?
Keep the schecter. epi les pauls don't really have very good feel if you ask me, and their tone isn't all too great either. I don't see why you dislike the tone of the schecter. I have the same one and i love how it sounds.
Just thinking out loud, that you could probably get that tone you're looking for with a new amp. I mean, LP's have two humbuckers and although they have different ones than you have now it's not going to be a HUGE difference. But I would think to go with the amp, and if you're still serious about the LP, play it first before you buy it.
If you watch Jimmy's tone, either save up and get a Gibson Les Paul. Or upgrade your amp. It would be a smarter choice.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

To the two that said to save for a Gibson or Epiphones suck, listen here. Epiphone Elitists are just as good as mass produced Gibsons quality wise IMO. The pickups leave something to be desired but the build and feel of them is superb.

@TS, I say keep your Schecter and get some new pickups. A pair of Alnico IIs might do some good. And go for the V32 for the amp. I have the V16 and love it but wish I had that little extra bit of power for cleans at high volumes. Buy used to save money and look for made in america ones because the new Vietnam made Palominos aren't as nice.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
To the two that said to save for a Gibson or Epiphones suck, listen here. Epiphone Elitists are just as good as mass produced Gibsons quality wise IMO. The pickups leave something to be desired but the build and feel of them is superb.

@TS, I say keep your Schecter and get some new pickups. A pair of Alnico IIs might do some good. And go for the V32 for the amp. I have the V16 and love it but wish I had that little extra bit of power for cleans at high volumes. Buy used to save money and look for made in america ones because the new Vietnam made Palominos aren't as nice.

wouldn't the seymour duncan 59/59 combo be better for jimmy page tones? I've read that jimmy page's les pauls are equipped with late 50s PAF humbuckers, which is what the seymour duncan 59s are made to imitate.

and I played the palomino V32 and V50 at my local guitar center and I thought they were absolutely 100% amazing. I loved the distorted tone it gave me. If the V16 was in stock I would have bought it then and there. Unfortunately it wasn't, so I had guitar center order me one from the manufacturer and they're expecting it to arrive in a few weeks.

I didn't know that "pre" is gain on the peavey classic 30 so I couldn't get the peavey classic to really distort, so I couldn't test the palomino and the classic side by side. But from what I hear all over these forums, the peavey classic 30 is much better than the palominos, which is why I want to at least give it a chance.

But yes, the palominos were VERY nice
The SD Alnico II's are a bit two warm for JP, they lack bite in my opinion too. Like I said in your other thread the 59's will get you quite close for paf-ish tones and his t-top tone.

As far as the amp goes, are you limited to just the Palomino and Classic 30? Traynors are worth a look, great Marshall tones.
whole lotta led:

yeah i read the guide to page's guitar that you sent me, and he did use PAFs and the t-top a little later, which is why I really want to stick to pickups that are MADE to replicate the PAFs.

And I have a budget of about $300 for an amp, and if I recall correctly traynors are a little bit more expensive. But I will definitely look into a used traynor. Which model would you suggest?
Either the YCV40 or a YCV50. The 50 is more Marshally right out of the box. If you can't get your hands on one the Palomino or Classic 30 would do just fine though
Okay guys, I played the peavey classic 30 vs. the crate palomino V32 today at guitar center and I gotta say, the palomino just sounded better to me.

So I will get the palomino V16, and change the pickups in my schecter to the seymour duncan 59/59 combo.

I didn't see the traynor at my local guitar center so I didn't get to try it out

I think I'll be quite satisfied with my 15 watt palomino though if it sounds like it did in the store.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone