I'm getting ready to build something on the slightly retarded side so I'm trying not to spend too much. I have an agathis Warlock body here and some nice maple planks in the garage.

What I'd like to do is glue the planks together to make them thick enough (they measure 3/4" thick,) cut the middle out of the Warlock body, then sandwich the agathis between the stacks of maple planks.

This body will be painted so I'm not worried about the grain matching, and I'd since I'm using the neck, bridge, and pickups off the Warlock I won't have to do much routing except for some control cavities.

I know many guitar bodies are multiple pieces, but will I have to worry about odd separation issues in the future if I use different woods as I plan to?
i dont think so as long as you do it right. you should glue the two peices of wood together first then cut out the body. other then that it should work . hope it goes well
'not trying to spend to much' is never a good sentence in guitar building. It costs a lot if your not a pro, so just suck it up and spend more for the extra quality and end result

plus agathis is suppose to be a pretty wang tone wood

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by LP Addict
that just sounds like a bad idea too me.

y does it sound like abad idea. lea paul studios are maple cap with a mahogany back and they are great gutiars.
You are going to compare some guy (no offence) gluing together some maple he found in his garage to an agathis body he has cut up, to a multi million pound company with decades of experience and access to the best woods and tools available to luthiers...

Just because gibson can do it, doesnt make all guitars that are made out of a body and a cap are good guitars.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Few issues here. Number one, thats going to be very muffled sounding, due the fact agathis is like that, and blending woods tends to end up badly unless they greatly contrast each other. Maple is brighter, but doesn't bring a lot in the tone department unless you have a lot of it. Likewise, those planks are going to be unfit for guitar building unless you dry them for about thirty years if they're the type you buy at a home improvement store.
Quote by Absent Mind
'not trying to spend to much' is never a good sentence in guitar building. It costs a lot if your not a pro, so just suck it up and spend more for the extra quality and end result

plus agathis is suppose to be a pretty wang tone wood

well, i can get the cost of a guitar down to $200, but i have to make the necks myself and use s*** pickups. so, cheaper is not always better. agathis is an excellent tone wood anyway.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
If you're not gonna be doing anything else with the guitar or the wood anytime soon then I say GO FOR IT! I like messing around with guitars I don't play anymore like this, you get cool ideas and also learn loads through focking up. The neck joint may be tricky to make but hey, might be fun anyway (much more fun than a **** guitar that you never play).
Quote by Absent Mind
You are going to compare some guy (no offence) gluing together some maple he found in his garage to an agathis body he has cut up, to a multi million pound company with decades of experience and access to the best woods and tools available to luthiers...

Just because gibson can do it, doesnt make all guitars that are made out of a body and a cap are good guitars.

i didn't say all guitars are going to just as good, justmsaying that you can glue two different types of wood together and they still sound good.
I'm not too worried about the tone of the instrument, this is my first ground-up build so I'm not expecting too much out of it.

It looks like eBay has a pretty decent selection of wood blanks as well, I found quite a few suitable alder chunks for under $20. I can definatly chuck the mahogany out if I grab some of those instead.