SO.

BASICALLY, I'm down to the Ibanez starter pack, and the fender starter packs.

I just have a few questions...

#1 What's the difference between a Fender Precission and a Fender Jazz bass?

#2 The Ibanez has the same type pick ups that BOTH Fenders have. Does that make it better? or is it something you swap between? Does it just give you more variety? or does it make the tone and sound alot better and deeper?

#3 How hard are these guitars to take apart? This may seem like an odd question, but I plan on customizing whichever of these I get with new paint after not too long. (I wanna put a holo-flash on the Ibanez, or just paint the colored part of the fender olive drab)

#4 Is it REALLY worth an extra 100 dollars for these guitars? Is the sound on a fender or Ibanez REALLY so much better than a Dean or a Rogue?

NOTE: This is not a "Which guitar should I get?" Topic. I am just gathering specific information on them. The final decision will be mine, but there's some things that the websites can't tell you.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
1) - Not that much to be honest, only the Jazz bass is slightly mellower.

2) - The Ibanez is better for heavy metal bass players, but that is my opinion, and no there is no pickup switch on the Ibanez, but there is a tone control to adjust the sound of the pick ups I think.

3) - I'd leave the customizing until you get to grips with your bass and upgrade to a better one, plus if you were to mod starter pack basses, they would sound awful.

4) - Yes they are, they sound ALOT more better and not so cheap like the starter pack basses, and with ornot that the Fender/Ibanez is better than a Dean or Rogue its up to you, its YOUR comfort zone, nobody elses.

And my own personal tip, I'm not a fan of starter packs get yourself a 15w practice amp and a good bass, like the Squier or the Ibanez GSR200, it will last you ALOT longer in beginner stages and will be worth your money.
Last edited by ChorusPedal88 at Mar 23, 2008,
Last time I checked, Fender doesn't make a starter pack.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thanks. This helped me a good bit. I'm still not sure if I will go with the Fender or Ibanez, but i'm leaning towards Ibanez. Metal is FTW. It also comes with headphones, but, I DO think the Fender is hotter. It's a major dilemna XD

on #4: DO you mean that non-starter basses sound better than all starter pack basses, or that it was worth the extra money to buy the more expensive starter packs and avoid those cheapest ones?

EDIT: To Fits~ Squier, Fender, it's all the same.
-Edgar Degas
Your sig says you're a bassist

Anyway differences between P and J basses: Ps have a chunkier neck. Some people like that and some people prefer J necks. That said, you can get P basses with Jazz necks (Fender Deluxe P Special, for example.) The bodies are a different shape with the J having the larger body, therefore being the heavier of the two. P pickups have a very different sound to J pickups - Js are more trebley and aren't humbucking. Again, you can get Ps with J pickups and Js with P pickups if that's your bag.
fitz, he meant the Squier I think :P

Well a 15w practice and an Ibanez GSR 200 would come to around the same price as your decent starter pack, but if you bought a starter pack what will you use once you start to get the jist of it? the Ibanez or any of the basses mentioned in the FAQ deals with that too, good for the beginner/average player to learn on.
I am a Bassist. I'm just a bassist playing a crap accoustic guitar >.>

I don't know what "Humbucking" means DX

So, what you're saying is that Jazz basses are sharper and more distinct, while Precision basses are smoother?
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
To Fits~ Squier, Fender, it's all the same.

Other than body material, body thickness, quality of wood, electronics, hardware, headstock shape, and country of construction - yeah, it's all the same.

EDIT: The beauty of basses is that you can, hopefully, adopt many sounds with them - and Jazz style instruments seem to have more variety in the sound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well, being a poor beginner, I can't exactly spend 600 bucks on a Fender guitar that still has no amp or anything with it.

The reason I am looking at the starter packs is because they come with alot of the stuff I need. It may not be the finest quality, but I still need it all. I can't buy "high quality" everything for even close to the same price.
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf

So, what you're saying is that Jazz basses are sharper and more distinct, while Precision basses are smoother?

Jazz pickups have more sparkely articulate highs and nice round lows while a regular p bass will have strong midrange emphasis or a thicker "growl" and much less treble definition.
Ah, that makes more sense.

But it's now irrelevent. I just saw that the Squier pack doesn't even come with a tuner >.> Black Ibanez for me!
-Edgar Degas
tuner =$10USD
I bought a GSR200 when I started out. I have never played a Squier pack (your only a beginner once). I like how the Ibanez is a PJ bass, but it is very muddy sounding. I don't know if the Squier would be any better.
On another note: If you claim to be a bassist, then you already know that you like it. I bought a cheap bass because I didn't know if I would like playing bass. I bet in less than a year, you will wish you didn't buy the starter pack. First it will be you wish you had a bigger amp. Then when you get a new amp, you will soon realize that your starter bass is insufficient. Soon you will have replaced your starter gear.
Me thinks that it might be cheaper to buy a littler better bass and amp now.
Quote by thefitz
Last time I checked, Fender doesn't make a starter pack.

Fender doesn't, but Squier by Fender does.....I think that's what they're talking about....I have a Squier and everyone calls it a Fender, so I think that's it.
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
Quote by Tone Deaf

p basses are mor punchy
j basses are more growly and bright sounding
IMO p basses have nicer tone but is all about preference

BTW strings affect a lot the clarity of your sound os if you play 2 basses check that the strings are new so you can feel the real power of that bass
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400