i've been playing guitar for six or seven years now and i've gotten sick of looking at my squier. currently it has a red body and a white pick guard. i've been wanting to repaint it for a while now but i'm not sure how i want to do it and not exactly sure where to start.
please post any suggestions or ideas
Alrighty, well the desgn is mostly up to you and what you want. Go google it and look at pictures of what other people have done, thats where i got my idea. Basically anything you want can be possible, as long as you have the time, patience and the money. So basically the first step is choosing your design. Then once you got that ready your ready to paint. Now as for the procedure of painting. 1. Take all hardware off, pickups, neck everything off and mask tape the neck pocket and the insides of the guitar. Now comes the fun job of sanding, its actually not as hard as it looks, you basically just gotta rough up the clear surface of it so the primer will stick. Id say use about a 220 grit sandpaper to get the job done. Now once you got it all rough your ready to prime it. Kay as for tips on priming, do it outdoors, when its not windy, and take your time! Pick your primer and usually do 2 coats of it. Read directions on the bottle and do it properly, patience is everything. Let it dry over night. Now your ready for your color coat. Pic your base color and basically repeat the steps in the primer, just except usually do about 4-5 coats of the color. Then repeat it for your design. Then its time for clear coat. Get a clear coat do about 10 thick layers then sand it with 2000 grit car sand paper and then do one more final layer and your done. Assemble the guitar back toether and yeah. REMEMBER TIME PATIENCE ARE THE KEY TO HAVING IT LOOK GREAT!

Anyways hoped this helped, have a look at my thread and you can see what i mean about the sanding and primig.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13370861#post13370861
Guitars:
Dean Razorback Explosion =D
Schecter Omen 6
Ibanez 30 Exotic Wood =D
Custom Les Paul w/EMG

Amps:
Line 6 Spider II :S
Peavey ValveKIng Halfstack

Pedal:
Boss ME-50
Heres what I just did on my Squier Strat in regards to stripping the finish:
Broke the clear with some 50 grit
Poured paint stripper on it, let it sit for a minute, scrubbed it off with 0000 steel wool.
Put some 50 grit on a sander and used it to take out veneer
Quote by Elms
i've been playing guitar for six or seven years now and i've gotten sick of looking at my squier. currently it has a red body and a white pick guard. i've been wanting to repaint it for a while now but i'm not sure how i want to do it and not exactly sure where to start.
please post any suggestions or ideas

Try doing some mock-ups here: http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/strat710/base.asp

Quote by '
AG[ Scott']Alrighty, well the desgn is mostly up to you and what you want. Go google it and look at pictures of what other people have done, thats where i got my idea. Basically anything you want can be possible, as long as you have the time, patience and the money. So basically the first step is choosing your design. Then once you got that ready your ready to paint. Now as for the procedure of painting. 1. Take all hardware off, pickups, neck everything off and mask tape the neck pocket and the insides of the guitar. Now comes the fun job of sanding, its actually not as hard as it looks, you basically just gotta rough up the clear surface of it so the primer will stick. Id say use about a 220 grit sandpaper to get the job done. Now once you got it all rough your ready to prime it. Kay as for tips on priming, do it outdoors, when its not windy, and take your time! Pick your primer and usually do 2 coats of it. Read directions on the bottle and do it properly, patience is everything. Let it dry over night. Now your ready for your color coat. Pic your base color and basically repeat the steps in the primer, just except usually do about 4-5 coats of the color. Then repeat it for your design. Then its time for clear coat. Get a clear coat do about 10 thick layers then sand it with 2000 grit car sand paper and then do one more final layer and your done. Assemble the guitar back toether and yeah. REMEMBER TIME PATIENCE ARE THE KEY TO HAVING IT LOOK GREAT!

Anyways hoped this helped, have a look at my thread and you can see what i mean about the sanding and primig.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13370861#post13370861

this gonna make me sound retarded but I'm not exactly sure how to take off the neck, pickups, tone and volume knobs etc. ; I think I know how but I'm afraid I'll mess up and ruin the guitar
To take off the neck you unscrew the 4 bolts on the back of the body where it meets the neck.

To take off the pickups, take the pick guard off(unscrew it) and the pickups should be attached to it.

The bridge just unscrews unless it's a tremolo, then i have no idea.
haha, dont be afraid of the vintage tremelo. Go in the back of the guitar take the plate off, then youll see 3 springs (maybe 4 ) the remove them, just pull them up then go to the front of the guitar and take the 6 screws out on the front of the tremelo
Guitars:
Dean Razorback Explosion =D
Schecter Omen 6
Ibanez 30 Exotic Wood =D
Custom Les Paul w/EMG

Amps:
Line 6 Spider II :S
Peavey ValveKIng Halfstack

Pedal:
Boss ME-50