Hey, I'm looking for some feedback on the quality of the recordings I've made.
I record in my basement, and everything is mic'd with a Crown Audio Pressure Zone Microphone, straight into the computer on to Audacity (no mixer).
mp3's here www.myspace.com/alexrankinmusic
Gear
Crate GT212
Digitech RP3
ESP LTD EX-100
ESP LTD B-50
Hofner 2007 "Beatle" guitar
The drums? It sounds unclear, I agree, as I have no way of micing all the parts, but overall, I don't find it yields a negative effect on the overall recording. Thanks, though, I'm looking into purchasing a mixer in the near future.
Gear
Crate GT212
Digitech RP3
ESP LTD EX-100
ESP LTD B-50
get a better mic
Get some type of interface
switch to Reaper
learn to properly use a compressor and EQ

These steps will give you a heck of a lot better sound.

I'm sure you could EQ the current track with Reaper and make it sound twice as good as it does now.
What mic would you recommend? I was thinking of going with a Shure SM57 and an ALTO mixer from a buddy. But before you recommend anything in the higher price range, I'm only 15, I'm just looking for some way to make it sound less...basement quality, I should say.
Thanks.
Gear
Crate GT212
Digitech RP3
ESP LTD EX-100
ESP LTD B-50
Quote by alexplorer
What mic would you recommend? I was thinking of going with a Shure SM57 and an ALTO mixer from a buddy. But before you recommend anything in the higher price range, I'm only 15, I'm just looking for some way to make it sound less...basement quality, I should say.
Thanks.

Stay AWAY from ALTO!!! Especially for something as important as a mixer. Even Behringer is better than ALTO. Mackie is a good brand, look in to their mixers.

But you don't need a mixer if you use a PC. Of course, you shouldn't use a PC, so I'd recommend, of course, grabbing a 4- or 8-track tape machine and an 8- or 16-track mixer. I'm only 16 years old and I've got my own analog studio, you can get all the gear you need once you get a job that pays at least 400 a month. Most stores let you finance expensive gear like mixers.

Good recordings though. They don't sound half bad given your situation, but I'm not really a fan of cold, clean, dry, high-end studio vibes.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Yes I agree strongly, cassette tape recordings have brilliant quality and put the vastly inferior digital medium to shame in any and all aspects. Glad to see you've caught on so quickly in your 16 years. I assume you've been tracking and studying audio since you were 3 correct?
Why shouldn't I use a PC? I'd imagine using a tape mixer would be more difficult, especially when a PC can easily offer effects, EQ and compressors. A friend of mine tried using a tape mixer and then transfering the audio onto Krystal, and it was unclear, flat and there was lots of static noise. Plus, in the age of technology, why not take advantage of the ease computers offer?
Thanks for the feedback, but it just makes more sense to use something easier.
Gear
Crate GT212
Digitech RP3
ESP LTD EX-100
ESP LTD B-50
Quote by MrPillow
Yes I agree strongly, cassette tape recordings have brilliant quality and put the vastly inferior digital medium to shame in any and all aspects. Glad to see you've caught on so quickly in your 16 years. I assume you've been tracking and studying audio since you were 3 correct?

I don't use cassette tape, I use an open reel machine. And yes, tape does put the vastly inferior digital medium to shame. Of course, not in all aspects. Digital audio tape falls on its face when compared to analog tape. Only since the advent of computer recording has digital audio seen any benefits. Those being a reduced cost, and the convenient editing features.

Hmm... I've been tracking and studying audio for about a year, actually, and I don't think I implied that I was a master of anything. I said I have my own analog studio, and I have to say I love it compared to the few months I spent using my computer.

Quote by alexplorer
Why shouldn't I use a PC? I'd imagine using a tape mixer would be more difficult, especially when a PC can easily offer effects, EQ and compressors. A friend of mine tried using a tape mixer and then transfering the audio onto Krystal, and it was unclear, flat and there was lots of static noise. Plus, in the age of technology, why not take advantage of the ease computers offer?
Thanks for the feedback, but it just makes more sense to use something easier.

To each his own. I consider myself an enthusiast. I don't want to stare at a screen and move a mouse around, that subtracts from my recording experience. I find that I get much more out of my recordings when the performance must be perfect, and when I am not tempted with a gluttonous amount of effects.

Most of the albums you and I listen to were tracked on analog tape. I figure if it worked so well in the past, there's no reason to stop doing it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Last edited by Muphin at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
get a better mic
Get some type of interface
switch to Reaper
learn to properly use a compressor and EQ

^Do this.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.