im looking to get a new bass... i play a lot of pop-punk and reggae, but i also like to play a little slap every once in awhile. I really don't have a specific budget, i'm just trying to look for guitars to try out next time I go to GC.
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
I was considering the Mark Hoppus. I wasn't sure if it would be good for slap or reggae though.
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Quote by wshnationals
I was considering the Mark Hoppus. I wasn't sure if it would be good for slap or reggae though.

NONO NONO NEVER EVER buy the mark hoppus bass. That is THE MOST usless piece of crap fender has ever made.
Jazz bass is good for reggae and Robbie Shakespear, one of the best reggae bassists uses one occasionaly.

just don't buy the hopus bass you will be SOOOOO disapointed.

EDIT: sorry not yamaha but he plays a PRS bass
http://www.reggaephotos.com/images/Reggae_Music_Fest_11-14-04/Sly_Robbie_010.jpg
These go for 4K but if was not misinformed they stoped making these.

Jazz bass is great for reggae or mid end Yamaha. Just Not the two that guy posted.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Last edited by Mescalino at Mar 23, 2008,
I'd go with a J-bass.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
What bass is this?

Not sure i think i have seen them somewhere. Looks nice though.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I would go with a P-bass. Depending on your budget I would also look at a Stingray. You might be able to score a S.U.B for about the same price as the Mark Hoppus bass.
I would say check out both the p and jazz bass. I think in the end it all comes down to personal preference because they are both very versatile.
Quote by terb
When you say punk, I think Fender P w/ flats!

Punk? No, hell no, just no!

Reggae? Yes.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'd go for a Fender Precision bass.
Some people don't like the slap tone, because it's different from the one you'd normally get on a J, but it's personal perfrence.
As for Reggae and Pop-punk, a Percision bass will fit like a glove.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by terb

When I hear that combination, I hear a punk bassist who would be buried under the roar of the guitars and drums, lol. Indie's right tho' that would be perfect for reggae and rock steady tho'

And you can slap on a Precision Bass -- I do it all the time. (for instance take "Down with the Bass" by fIREHOSE). If you are really arsed about the slap tone, then a SUB would be a good option well, since they are growly / bright enough for punk but the humbucker can support a good slap tone as well.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Go J Bass. P Basses don't slap so well.

I have no idea what you are talking about. please do a search on youtube.
First Hit

@anarkee and indie: guess im not into the hardcore punk. I like slow groove rock/metal. So when i think punk i think of slower stuff.... not hard core furry.
Last edited by terb at Mar 24, 2008,
Quote by terb
I have no idea what you are talking about. please do a search on youtube.
First Hit

@anarkee and indie: guess im not into the hardcore punk. I like slow groove rock/metal. So when i think punk i think of slower stuff.... not hard core furry.

what a gorgeous bass!
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
I've got a J bass with a switch to put it on a series circuit instead of parallel, which is what J basses are normally, it gives a very P-bassy sound, so its extremely versatile

can always look for a Fender MIM Jazz with S-1 switch, keep an eye out, but if you have £700 then you better get that MIA fender jazz, you will never regret your decision
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
i believe either the Fender P or the J, would suffice. also the P Special (P/J) would do fine. the Precision is "Punk-Pop" certified, and the Jazz will play that, plus everything else. you just have to play everything in your price range. you'll find the right one.
good luck!
Quote by wshnationals

dont the the hoppus
its a nice bass but it does not worth the money, no tone knob just 1 pickup
it is kind of boring like that and is also a signature model
try the H1 p bass it is really nice
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by terb

flats and punk?
what?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400