So, I have an old computer hear waiting for its chance at life again. Im looking to build a music server. Yes, I have googled around but im looking for personal opinion.

Windows or Linux?

Shared network folder or some type of server software?

Ill be putting a running computer down in my basement along with all the other networking / wireless crap to minimize the mess of wires / looking like I have no girlfriend, so something that doesnt need constant monitoring would be in order.

Ill continue reading up on Google, but what are your personal thoughts, or what have you already done?
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
in my experience, networking with Linux is a bitch. also, if you have loads of music (10gig +) i wouldn't recommend wireless. if you need wireless, go with 108.11 N. the N is the important part. its much faster than b or g.

good luck!!!
Linux Ubuntu Studio works fine but I'm not sure if your comp can handle it, specs??
Wouldn't bother with Linux.
If I had an XP Pro Disk. It'd be back on this by now.
Just getting my wireless card to work properly took 3 hours.
Erm, what? I know how to use linux, I worked as a system administrator for about a year, turned really boring so I moved on with life. The music server will be located in my basement where it will be hooked directly into my router. Im sure my wireless G will be able to handle small mp3 files. In the end I would like to access my music from my iMac from within iTunes.
Quote by Ehh
Erm, what? I know how to use linux, I worked as a system administrator for about a year, turned really boring so I moved on with life. The music server will be located in my basement where it will be hooked directly into my router. Im sure my wireless G will be able to handle small mp3 files. In the end I would like to access my music from my iMac from within iTunes.

If your streaming music, or even films, Wireless G is fine, whoever said N, 300mb/ps!? bit extreme, and its still in Draft!.
Quote by customisbetter
you didnt tell us you were a fricken pro!?!?!?! do what you want and don't ask us noobs.

Oh, oops. I re-read what I wrote and I look like a complete douche. The 'Erm, what?' was about the lies / scandale stuff. The 'I know how to use linux' was towards everyone saying it was a bad idea because of how confusing it might be. I really only did panel based hosting services, stuff a chimp could do. I also played around on old computers to see what I could make linux do. I havent really ever thought about making a computer sit in my basement, and slave away music files for me.

Sorry for the poorly made post before this.