Page 1 of 2
Our guitarist is into newer alternative crap like AFI and Taking Back Sunday, our drummer plays mainly jazz in our school jazz band, and I'm a classic rock/heavy metal bassist.

Is there any way we can come up with a compromise?
Quote by DeathBySpoon
Experiment?

Agreed.

Put a little bit of each into your style, and see how it works out.

Edit:
Quote by Flying Couch
C O H B C, I approve of your sig.

*High-five*

Edit2: Wait, C O H B C?
Last edited by C O B H C at Mar 23, 2008,
Of course. Realize that no one person is going to control your bands' sound, and allow your styles to mesh.

Incidentally, I've found that drummers tend to be worthless unless they have at least a little experience in jazz. Having a jazz drummer is a good thing.

C O H B C, I approve of your sig.
no, you're all doomed.

but seriously, it's nice to get a clash of styles sometimes. if you work well together, you might be able to fuse a couple things, and create an original sound. That or.. no one agrees on anything, and it's useless to keep them as band members for the direction you want to move towards.
LaLaLa ZoomZoomZoom
Get a new guitarist, problem solved. Jazz and metal mix fairly well if you're both decent musicians. Or you can start a grindcore band with your drummer where all he does is blast beats and then you just majorly distort your bass and play random notes.
Just play together, jam and such until you start to see some good sounding stuff appear. If theres absolutely no chemistry, find other bandmates. Nobody is saying that you HAVE to stick with these guys.
Sometimes it helps to have different tastes in music in bands. Different opinions can create a unique sound. If you do decide to write with each other though, remember to respect each other's opinions and hear what each of you has to say.
play ur own music instead of making it sound like bands u individually like?
Jazz pop-punk metal? Hello, amazing

Quote by zeppelin42
Our guitarist is into newer alternative crap like AFI and Taking Back Sunday, our drummer plays mainly jazz in our school jazz band, and I'm a classic rock/heavy metal bassist.

I take it back, you should quit the band and let the other guys do something cool
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Alot of bands have drummers with jazz training. Thats not a bad thing. Just find a new guitarist. Or, even better, experiment and create a unique sound.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
It depends. Do you get along? You might not be able to agree on any cover tunes, but if you get along you could write some music you all like. Take elements from everything that each of you likes and throw it all together. You should get something good.

Yes, Justaboy, I'm completely aware that I just restated your idea in a much more drawn out fashion. Sorry. I do that sometimes.
Emo Metal Jazz.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
Quote by zeppelin42

dude whats wrong with afi? just because you dont like it doesnt mean its crap.

anyway to help you, you could do some awsome stuff with those genres. look at incubus, their like a mix of funk rap and metal. and they sound awsome. its good to have people with differing tastes in a band.

but you should maybe get new band members if it starts to be a problem. or just get a side project where you can get out all of your ideas that dont fit, thats what alot of bands do.
Please avoid generalizations, they make you sound like a tool.

It's not bad if your guitarist is into AFI, Jade is a pretty decent guitarist.

Compromise, seriously. Like you can't find any common ground? Please.
Just go ahead and mix it up.

When you mix things, it may come up with epic results.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by HoldFastHope
Please avoid generalizations, they make you sound like a tool.

It's not bad if your guitarist is into AFI, Jade is a pretty decent guitarist.

Compromise, seriously. Like you can't find any common ground? Please.

dude totally, jade is really skilled, have you seen his tribute to rockabilly? its awsome.
Sounds like you could potentially become a Prog- Hardcore/ Metalcore band. Between the Buried and Me uses elements of Mainstream, Metal, and Jazz, as do a lot of bands.
Quote by Flying Couch
oh god i'm so sorry please don't kill me

I believe the rule is: Typo = instant death. I could be wrong though.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Sounds like you could potentially become a Prog- Hardcore/ Metalcore band. Between the Buried and Me uses elements of Mainstream, Metal, and Jazz, as do a lot of bands.

BTBAM FTW.
Quote by zeppelin42

Start listening to Atheist. You'll know where to go from there.

Basically, use the pop dude's experience to get some good, simple, catchy song structure, use the jazz player's experience to step up the technicality a notch, and use your experience to add a rough aspect to the music.
There are jazz metal bands already, like cynic, but I doubt that guitarist is gunna be able to play that kind of stuff if he just mostly plays AFI and TBS. :/
Quote by C O B H C
I believe the rule is: Typo = instant death. I could be wrong though.

by crucifixion if i'm correct

in honor of easter and everything
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by LazySandman
by crucifixion if i'm correct

in honor of easter and everything
Oh God. C O B H C is going to fucking crucify me.
Just play music. Quit worrying about what kind of music you "like" and expand your likings past your backyard.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by C O B H C
BTBAM FTW.

**** YEAH! *insert BTBAM gang sign here*

Interestingly enough, Tommy Rogers went to my school.

Thought I'd share.
Quote by Flying Couch
Oh God. C O B H C is going to fucking crucify me.

Relax. I wouldn't go that far.

>_>

<_<

I would totally go that far.

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
**** YEAH! *insert BTBAM gang sign here*

Interestingly enough, Tommy Rogers went to my school.

Thought I'd share.

That is awesome.
Of course that you can.

My band:
Lead guitar (me) - 19 years old. Like from Blues to Heavy Metal.
Backing vocals - 24 years old. Likes blues.
Rhythm guitar & vocals - 30 years old.
Drummer - 30 years old.
Bassist - 41 years old. Likes from Rock to Nu Metal.

And we get along perfectly. Different styles create a new one. Though now we're playing covers.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Page 1 of 2